Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Hi all,

I have had a quiet Mother's Day with my Mom today - which I suppose is good for an 80 year old lady. She's currently watching a repeat of an old Sinatra special on TCM network.

I have done nothing out-of-the usual today - I did do some work on the Druitt threads but little else.

Wasn't there a thread on the last Casebook Forum about the murder of Barbara Waterhouse by William Turner in 1891? I seem to remember that a collateral descendant of the little girl contacted the board, but now the thread seems to be gone. I just came across of some more material on it that I had overlooked months ago.

My best wishes to all - and happy Mother's Day to the mothers, wives, and
    aunts out there enjoying the day.

Best wishes,

Jeff
    Sounds like a very pleasant day, Jeff. I had the Sinatra film on the other day when I was doing some things around the house. I did see the interview where the daughter said that if he had ever come home saying "ring-a-ding-ding" they would have kicked him out of the house! She said he did use "groovy" a lot.

Does anyone recall a thread on the Juarez, Mexico murders? Where there have been over 400 victims so far? I've been reading the book---slowly. It infuriates me. I have a vague memory of there being a thread on it, but I didn't pay any attention to it at the time.

Best to all.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Mike-Wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

The monster is the size of Godzilla so the cooties are the size of cougars.

I took all my kids to see Alien at the theater when the youngest was four. They were all excited that they got to see an R rated movie.

Celesta-I don't remember that thread. It was discussed somewhere here. There are several movies about the case-some good-some bad-I heard. I've only seen the one with Jennifer Lopez.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Mike-Wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

The monster is the size of Godzilla so the cooties are the size of cougars.

I took all my kids to see Alien at the theater when the youngest was four. They were all excited that they got to see an R rated movie.

Celesta-I don't remember that thread. It was discussed somewhere here. There are several movies about the case-some good-some bad-I heard. I've only seen the one with Jennifer Lopez.
        Thanks, Stan. It's really horrible. These victims are just kids.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Celesta,

Yes, there is someone really sick down there. Too bad Mexico doesn't have the death penalty although sometimes some of these sort are shot and killed by police "while trying to escape".
          Last edited by sdreid; 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I watched "plan 9 from outer space" the other day,not sure whether it was intended to be funny ,but it made me laugh.The acting was so bad it was good. The film could most likely be described as the thinking mans Halloween
            I think you have to go back years to find a good horror film The Exorcist (although very much dated now) Psycho and perhaps ALIEN to me were probabley the best.today its mostly just blood and gore,very little story line and zero atmosphere.And without atmosphere theres no horror,how or why people sit and watch 90 minutes of eye-gouging,dismemberment,fountains of blood,throat cutting and decapitation scenes and call it entertainment, im afraid is beyond me.but there you go
            regards

Comment

• Dougie, You know it's funny how we go in circles. We were talking about the modern horror movies, a couple of months ago, and some of us felt very much the way you just pointed out. They've substituted blood and gore, in a lot of them, for plot. That's not what makes a good horror film to me. It's more the suspense.

Stan, Cloverfield. How long has that been out? I know Blair Witch effected me more than I realized at the time. I would be very hesitant to go camping, now, anywhere except an established campground.

Mike, That story about your little boy and the ducks was hilarious. Genetics! I shared it with my husband because I had told him about your wife and the ducks and we both got a big kick out of it. Kids and pets keep us young, in a way, don't they?

Have a good evening, All.

Comment

• I thought Cloverfield was totally awesome. According to Variety, many women are reporting motion sickness from watching it. No joke. The same thing happened to a lesser degree when Blair Witch came out. But if you're not prone to motion sickness, I strongly suggest watching it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Cloverfield hasn't been out too long on DVD, maybe 3 or 4 weeks?

Stan Reid

Comment

• Cloverfield, Blair Witch and Open Water all had similar effects on the viewer as the handheld cameras swayed side to side.
                    I threw up during Halloween 2007 but that was due to my heart condition!!

Is it me or have the "Most recent posts<----- got smaller along the side?
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• Open Water sucked. The second one was better but not great. The New Halloween should not even have been made. Zombie should have stuck with the original plan of making Halloween 9, or at least did a prequel. But not a prequel and call it a remake, which it most certainly was not. It was about as scary as an episode of Scoobie Doo. Having the movie open on a KISS song and having Michael Myers wear a KISS shirt were great choices, though.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Open water was a mess, really boring, and one of those films were you start rooting for the shark! I own it, got it sent by the distribution lable but fell asleep every time i tried to watch it.

I didn't like Rob Zombie's take on events, but it had to be better than halloween 3! Zombie is a massive Kiss fan, we have a place in Hull which sell's dvd's and rock momentoes and the owner has a massive private collection of Kiss stuff, including 3 pinball machines, and loads of life size figures!
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• I have two Zombie films but not that one. By accounts, I'll forgo both it and Open Water; neither was on my agenda anyway.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell
                            we have a place in Hull which sell's dvd's and rock momentoes and the owner has a massive private collection of Kiss stuff, including 3 pinball machines, and loads of life size figures!
                            I think Gene Simmons might want to call this guy. Can't you PM me his information?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Have PM-ed his website details over.

I am off to bed, its getting late and I am "cream crackered!"
                              Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                                Hi Celesta,

Yes, there is someone really sick down there. Too bad Mexico doesn't have the death penalty although sometimes some of these sort are shot and killed by police "while trying to escape".

Do you think it would be worth starting a thread? I don't want one of those things where people start getting mad at each other. Besides, I haven't finished the book.

BTW, I haven't thanked you for reminding me, in your cool-school style, to keep my temper under control, on a couple of threads, a few weeks ago. So thank you. You're right, it's lonely at the top, no matter what landmass you occupy. I'm serious about this. I saw what you wrote and put a cap on my bad side.

Comment

Working...
                                X