No announcement yet.

When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually it is 768 pages but it feels like 1000+ Celesta.
    But it is a very educational book on paranormal USA which is handy for reference for me .

Comment

• It's still in hardback? The one I saw was. There's a discount bookseller here where I can sometimes get good stuff for cheap--E.R. Hamilton. Shipping is about 5 bucks for an order ( no matter how much you buy) and it comes right to your door. They may have it soon.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Celesta,

Actually not only was yesterday (May 6th) the anniversary of the Hindenburg Explosion, but today (May7th) is the anniversary of the torpedoing of the RMS Lustitania in 1915. Talk about another controvertial disaster.

Hi Stan,

Actually I have one of Fort's books, but I have a serious problem with Fort (actually two). I don't like his lugubrious, pretend fancy writing style at all.
        Secondly, I actually question his facts!

Fort was trying to spoof scholarship and science by picking and choosng "facts" that were unusual from newspapers and magazines, especially magazines supposedly of a scientific bent. The idea was to make
        the reader question what actually was proved or known about anything. But when I did an essay about a balloonist and M.P. named Walter Powell, who died in December 1881 when his balloon was swept into the Channel from Bridport in a bad, sudden storm, I had to look at Fort's account, and found it short and shoddy. He really did not do more than "cursory" research (nothing like yours on D'Onston and his family and friends). Sure enough, when I started looking at various other accounts he put it, he left stuff out. In short, he's a fraud!

No doubt his fans won't like that. Tough!

Jeff

Comment

• One of the books I have on Fort is a compendium of three of his books, in one solid volumne. It's a weighty tome, but I searched for references to Hull, and sure enough in one of the volumnes he mentions the case of Spontaneous Human Combustion that occured in the City Centre.

His case study was taken from the Hull Press, so it does match what we know of the event, but what he doesn't mention is that during this period, the Hull Press often featured alleged actual events, on the same page as fictional events, and never differentiated between the two, leaving the reader to make up their own mind.

When you look closer, it appears as though many of the true events are nothing more than fictional accounts, and therefore not to be accepted as evidence of the unexplained.

The problem we have with the SHC case, is that small details change from account to account, and over the years, even the location has changed!
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
            It's still in hardback? The one I saw was. There's a discount bookseller here where I can sometimes get good stuff for cheap--E.R. Hamilton. Shipping is about 5 bucks for an order ( no matter how much you buy) and it comes right to your door. They may have it soon.
            This may cost you more on shipping as it is a damned heavy book !!

Comment

• Bad error on my part. While I don't mind saying hello to Stan, I meant to say it to Mike, who is the one doing the splendid research on D'Onston and his friends and family.

Sometimes I get so punch drunk I don't even recall who I am!

Jeff

Comment

• Hi all,

Adding to this week's obits, Alexander Mosley, Oswald Mosley's grandson, was found dead in his home Tuesday - possible drug overdose.

Hope it doesen't rain today. I plan to go target shooting again with one of my sons. It's covered though.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Wow, you guys are doing such interesting things, and I am stuck home alone painting! Funny thing is, I have more paint on myself than I do the lobby that I was supposed to be working on! I am now an amusing shade of green, and look like Max Von Sydow, moments after Regan was sick on him in the Exorcist!
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• Actually, Barry, they charge the same no matter what you order. One book or five books, heavy or light. I know it sounds strange. I expect they'll change that in the near future though because the postal rate goes up about every five minutes over here and it's getting expensive.

Goodness, Jeff! What kinda punch you drinking up there in NY?
                    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Celesta,

Well whatever is in the punch it certainly gets me good and confused. I prefer rum.

Now Joe DiMaggio's younger brother "the little Professor" of the Boston Red Sox, Dom DiMaggio has died. He was in his 90s. Always in his brother's shadow, he was still a first rate baseball player. I was glad to see he was able to be around long enough to see "the curse of the Bambino" lifted from the Sox two times in this decades, helping other old Sox teammates hold up a victory banner in 2004 when the long drought ended.

Some well meaning friends have now put me on "Tagged" as well as Facebook.
                      These things were never even considered in discussing computers in science fiction books of the 1930s - 1970s. Computers were supposed to be used for serious matters, like solving 19th murder mysteries perhaps.

Mike - careful with the paint. I once managed to put "Aztec Gold" paint over half of the glass in a pair of windows in a bedroom I once lived in. Not intentially either.

Stan - Did the account of the death of young Moseley say why he committed suicide? Or was it an accidental overdose?

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• I recieved "E1- A Journey Through Spitalfields" today, great book!

I painted the lobby and got covered in paint, then after we put the kids to bed last night, my wife mentioned she wanted to paint the bathroom, so I cleared out the clutter and let her paint it!

Had an easy day today, even managed an afternoon nap!
                        Regards Mike

Comment

• Jeff - It didn't say which it was. He was 39. The account was very brief.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi Stan,

Nothing about it in the New York Times. I guess here he was considered relatively unimportant. Suicide runs in his family (if it was not an accident). His grand-aunt, Unity Mitford, shot herself the day Germany and Britain declared war on each other in September 1939. It took her several years to die of the wound. Hitler, a personal friend of Unity, had her sent home under a flag of truce.

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff,

It was on the sports page in my paper because his father, Max Mosley, is a big-shot in the premiere international auto racing governing body. I believe it was just last year that old Max was involved in a big scandal where he was supposedly caught (on video if I remember correctly) in a tryst with a group of prostitutes all dressed in Nazi uniforms. Maybe the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but he seems to have survived the indiscretion. I wonder where Prince Harry was.

Stan Reid

Comment

• A Few Snippets for the Possum Lovers.

Hi to all. I have been absent from this thread since about Page 97-98,but I have been following this and some other threads, and have been ill and then very busy cataloguing all the stamps and things I bought with my free money from Mr Ruddd. (All us Aussies got about $900 from the gov to prop up the economy.)

The reason that prompted me to write was that tonight in the library instead of just going to 364.1523(Dewey) I went to the computer to look up a book and found at 133.8 a book called 'Death of a Prince," JTR and Other Souls. It is by a psychic and another person and I haven't read it yet,just skimmed a few places. It is a small paperback and will probably only take a few sessions to digest.

There seem to be mentions of Prince Eddy,Sir Randolph Churchill, Oscar Wilde, Frank Miles, Walter Sickert, ad infinitum. There are spirits and readings done on people connected with the Freemasons, it seems like a light-hearted book and not a scholarly attempt at solving JTR's identity, but the 13 people who travel on a psychic tour of many interesting sites seems to promise a few wild suppositions.

The other book which I picked up is well known but it was in the Quarto section so I had missed it. It is the well researched "JTR- Letters from Hell," by Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner. I had read of this book on casebook, but this is the first time I have seen it and it is Impressive.

Also, just for your info I have ordered the new book on The Hoax of the Ripper Diary and The Jewish Press have informed me that the publishers have told them it is 4-5 weeks away from delivery. As mentioned in previous posts the overseas postage and handling charges are a bit over the top, but being in Oz I am exempt from this. After i get the book and if it is worth the bother and anyone is interested I may be able to defray postage for some people.

Briefly how we enthusiasts do this is to use stamps that are worth more used than mint and it works for philatelists as we buy from a dealer ,the postage we get is worth more than what we pay, so everyone gains. It is all explained here; www.glenstephens.com It is an article from Stamp News magazine of April 2008, page 44-48, entitled Please Use Stamps. Of course for it to be feasible one has to have the stamps on hand,but if the addressee returns said stamps to mailee via attached self addressed envelope, it can work for anyone. Stampboards.com is a great free website for stamps and history.
                                When Mike Covell was talking about the airship or plane or ferry crash in Hull, there was mention of similar postcards on the stamps site.
                                Great to be back, regards to all. Possum news next post.

Comment

Working...
                                X