No announcement yet.

When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Mike, you know what are the most paranormal things I experience, is being in the wild and just marveling at all that nature has to offer,whether it be flyfishing on a remote lake at dusk, or sleelhead fishing a river in the snow, Hiking up to mountain tops and watching the moon rise during a lunar eclipse. Gazing at the universe around us. Far away from light and noise pollution.
    That's all the paranormal stuff I need. Things like that.

Comment

• There are places I have visited in the Uk which create a similar response.
      All of the North Yorkshire Moors are fantastic, and look great from any position, however, you cannot beat a high point, looking down over a valley, and seeing all the different shades of the treetops!

Back in the 1990's I climbed Scaffel Pike, the highest point in England and looked oyt towards the Irish Sea, it was amazing, really jaw dropping! I was about 14 at the time and when I reached the top I was met by a regiment of the Royal Engineers. They held me up high and treated me like a hero, I was given loads of hot food, and they even gave me a little bottle of beer!

But the best part was the view, it was amazing, and really awe inspiring.

I love the lake district and Snowdonia, and it is hard to imagine what they places were like before the ice age created all the wonderful hills, mountains, valleys and lakes.
      Regards Mike

Comment

• Mike, If you like that sort of thing, you must visit British Columbia, the best place on earth. And I was born in England, (Lee Park, Hants.)

Comment

• My Uncle lives in Calgary and on his last to the UK for my aunties funeral, he brought loads of fantastic pictures of the views from his yard and the wildlife that often enters!

He gets bear and all sorts, at worst over here we get wood pigeons "coo-ing" in the early hours!

Thats what I love about the great outdoors, the fact that you can be sat there and a deer will pop it's head up and carry on about it's business.
          Regards Mike

Comment

• Thanks, Jeff! Very nice post. I noticed that the earliest episode shown on the link dates to 1974, which I believe predates the movie by maybe a year or two. We were unaware of Robert Fish's books, at the time. It was around the time of the movie, within a couple of years or so, that we had been reading so much Sherlock Holmes. I believe that either my husband, (future husband at the time) or myself came up with the name Schlock. Just a coinkydinks. It was all in fun. We loved the character.

Are the books by Robt Fish irreverent to Holmes and Watson?

Best wishes,

Celesta
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Ghosttrackers

My new team Ghosttrackers is officially up and running!!

Ghosttrackers is the brain child of Sam Sweeting and Jo Affleck!

I am the team's historian, Location researcher, and Paranormal Investigator!

My wife is also a member of the team, and it is such a pleasure to be working alongside her.

John Wilson Green Renowned local Medium, is also a part of this Dynamic team and it is great to be alongside John, who is a great friend an excellent medium, teacher and all round nice bloke!

Here is the brand spanking new website, http://www.ghosttrackers.co.uk/
              Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                Thanks, Jeff! Very nice post. I noticed that the earliest episode shown on the link dates to 1974, which I believe predates the movie by maybe a year or two. We were unaware of Robert Fish's books, at the time. It was around the time of the movie, within a couple of years or so, that we had been reading so much Sherlock Holmes. I believe that either my husband, (future husband at the time) or myself came up with the name Schlock. Just a coinkydinks. It was all in fun. We loved the character.

Are the books by Robt Fish irreverent to Holmes and Watson?

Best wishes,

Celesta
                Hi Celesta,

As a matter of fact I've never read Fish's books, but he is supposed to be very funny. I think he was involved in the film THE ASSASSINATION BUREAU, LTD., which was based on an unfinished novel of Jack London. He did know about writing mystery tales.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

• Mike, here on our property bears always destroy the fruit trees, breaking the branches and leaving big piles of scat. Deer are a problem for every one here, they go on into peoples gardens and eat all the flowers. You can't even shoo them away, they pretty much ignore you. One even chased me back inside once. Last fall a bear broke down our fence to get at the blackberry patch at the back. Saw a large bobcat prowling the street in winter. Coyotes are common, as well as racoons. A lot of cats disappear around here. A cougar sighting is not rare. I'll take that over hooligans though.

Comment

• Hi Plang, I have had neighbours that have looked and smelt like a wild bear!!
                    I thought we had it bad with all the domestic cats that come into the garden, leave their droppings, chase my rabbits and then run off!
                    I caught one in the garden, alseep in the rabbit hutch, i pulled it out, it scratched me, ran, and hit an expensive garden ornanment, which toppled over and smashed with a huge bang! I was pretty miffed at that!

I once caught a couple of kids making sexy time up on my porch, which was about 7 or 8 ft in the air. God knows how they got up there, but she was half naked. I went out armed and dangerous, and dragged them down, ready to give em an ass wupping, when some ther kid comes round the corner and says to the first,

"What you been doing with my girlfriend!"

I chipped in,

"He was giving her one!"

The matter was dealt with there and then, and as the police arrived, the kids had ran off.....leaving a trail of ladies undergarments behind them! The police officers attempted to climb onto my roof, but even though they were bigger, they could not get up there!

That is the wildlife we have in Hull!

Anyway Hull are at Wembly today, playing Bristol, so we are watching the game with the family.....at my house!
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                      I think the name Schlock Holmes came from a movie, that had Gene Wilder as Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother. I think Wilder's character called Sherlock "Schlock," but I haven't seen that movie in umpty-ump years, so I could be misremembering. Not ridiculing our Sherlock.
                      Actually, I think you'll find that Wilder refered to Sherlock as "Sheer-Luck" Holmes in that one particular scene.

I only remember it becasue at the time the movie was released I was attempting to see every movie Wilder was in. A fine comic actor, he is, and was back then.

Vila
                      "Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible - However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..." - Brice Linch: Max Headroom
                      Dan L Hollifield
                      Senior Editor/Publisher: Aphelion Webzine
                      http://www.aphelion-webzine.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Vila View Post
                        Actually, I think you'll find that Wilder refered to Sherlock as "Sheer-Luck" Holmes in that one particular scene.

I only remember it becasue at the time the movie was released I was attempting to see every movie Wilder was in. A fine comic actor, he is, and was back then.

Vila

That's right, Dan! I knew it was something like that! Thank you for reminding me. I agree with you, absolutely, about Wilder. He is a very fine comic actor. Madeline Cahn was in that movie, too, and she was one of the best, wasn't she? I saw her on the Cosby Show years ago and in one episode she and Cosby were interacting, and I don't think I've ever laughed so hard.

Thanks, Dan.
                        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Jeff,

It sounds worthwhile then. Worth looking into. I made the mistake of picking up that spoof on the Tolkien trilogy, Bored of the Rings, and never got past the first page. Since then I've been cautious about take-offs on things. This looks funny though. Bagel Street!

Best to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                            My new team Ghosttrackers is officially up and running!!

Ghosttrackers is the brain child of Sam Sweeting and Jo Affleck!

I am the team's historian, Location researcher, and Paranormal Investigator!

My wife is also a member of the team, and it is such a pleasure to be working alongside her.

John Wilson Green Renowned local Medium, is also a part of this Dynamic team and it is great to be alongside John, who is a great friend an excellent medium, teacher and all round nice bloke!

Here is the brand spanking new website, http://www.ghosttrackers.co.uk/

Got it bookmarked, Mike. That other group you mentioned---was that the previous group you knew? Glad I deleted their site.

Comment

• Maybe I'll visit Hull someday Mike and photograph the 'wildllife'.
                              Hull sounds a lot like Chilliwack,B.C.
                              Jeezus, what a mistake it was living in downtown Chilliwack for a year.
                              Barely escaped with my life, that is no exaggeration!
                              Last edited by plang; 05-25-2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Ghosttrackers is mde up of the best of the best in local paranormal investigations. Better still, we are teaming up with some of the local talent to carryout massive investigations all over the local area, and further afield.
                                We have already reached an agreement with the wonderful team at Humberside Paranormal, and I am regular contact with three other groups, but we are awaiting their response.

The old group, went through a period of investigations were they never even asked me to do the historical work for them, after I resigned they got their backs up and sent rather unsettling emails, and text messages and are out of order!

Hull's Wildlife is quite fascinating, I heard David Attenborough turned down a visit here, for health and safety reasons!
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X