Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move to Murder: Who Killed Julia Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    Okay, Part 2 of my Wallace v Parry analysis. The Qualtrough call was obviously very important to the investigation, and if it's not directly connected to the murder we are left with an enormous coincidence. So, out of Wallace and Parry who was most likely to have made the call? Well, Samuel Beattie took the call at the chess club. He was well acquainted with Wallace, having known him for about 8 years. And this is what he said at trial to the defence barrister:

Roland Oliver: " Do you know Mr Wallace's voice well?
    Samuel Beattie: "Yes"
    Roland Oliver: "Did it occur to you that it was anything like his voice."
    Samuel Beattie: "Certainly not."
    Roland Oliver: "Does it occur to you now it was anything like his voice."
    Samuel Beattie: "It would take a great stretch of the imagination for me to say it was anything like that.'

Objectivity speaking, based upon this exchange I think it reasonable to conclude that the caller was highly unlikely to have been Wallace.

But what of Parry? Parry had been involved in amateur dramatics since childhood. I believe Parkes also said that he had a habit of making hoax calls from the garage, putting on a fake voice. Importantly he also lied about his alibi for the call.

Thus, according to Parry he was at his girlfriend's from 5:30 to 11;30. This wasn't even close. According to Lilian Lloyd he didn't arrive until 7:35, over 2 hours later than claimed. Even then Lloyd didn't see him, as she was busy with a pupil (she was a music teacher). Parry then left and didn't return until 8:30 to 9:00 pm. Considering the call was made at 7:00pm, I would conclude that Parry is left deeply implicated. This is the first piece of substantive evidence to connect Parry to the crime. I would also add that he told the police that he would have "no objection whatever to the police verifying my statement as to my movements on Monday the 19th and Tuesday the 20th." Considering he didn't even bother to prime his girlfriend to lie for him, I think we can also safely conclude that he was no Einstein!
    Hi John

The phone call and invention of Qualtrough is intriguing and if connected to the murder, as it surely must be, is vitally important in determining events. You have raised some interesting points about the call, but there are some other things to consider also.

The first point I think we would need to establish is which of our two suspects had the opportunity to make the call at the time we know it was made. When we look at what we know, both Parry and Wallace could have made the call - that is, at the time the call was made we do not know where either Wallace or Parry was, the time between when we know where they were to the time we know they resurface and others can corroborate their whereabouts, is when the call was made.

The voice evidence we have relies solely on Beattie's testimony. I think we have no reason to believe Beattie was telling us anything less than his honest opinion. He was highly confident that the Qualtrough voice he heard did not belong to Wallace, who was well known to him. Does that mean it was not Wallace? I don't think we can say that it was not Wallace. You do not need to be an actor to successfully disguise your voice, even from your family and close friends. I have done so myself and I am sure many others have also. Of course if the caller was Parry, Beattie's evidence is not only his honest opinion but also correct. I don't think Beattie's evidence is sufficiently compelling for us to determine the caller's identity.

Parry either lied about his whereabouts on the night of the call, or he just misremembered his movements. What did you have for dinner five nights ago? You may remember, I can't. This is not to ignore he could have made the call and lied, but that is not the only explanation. But let us assume he lied. He may have many reasons for lying, including to hide that he made the call. But given his lifestyle, there are other things he may not have wanted to reveal. So, even if we believe he lied, we cannot be sure why, but to make the call is one possible reason of many. I do not think this is a substantive piece of evidence that strongly suggests Parry was the killer, it merely fails to allow us to discard the possibility he made the call.

I do not think evaluating the evidence you raise is sufficient on its own to help us determine who the caller was. It also does not allow us to state that it couldn't have been either one of them.

What else might help us? I think taking the call in context of the wider crime might be useful. So which of Parry or Wallace needed the Qualtrough call to take place in order to commit the crime, be that robbery (Parry) or murder (Wallace).

Parry
    The suggestion is that Parry needed to get Wallace out of the way on Tuesday night in order that he could commit the crime (or have an accomplice commit the crime). This does not make sense to me since if he made the call, he was in the vicinty of Wallace's house at a time when he knew Wallace was at his chess club - or at least on his way. Why not just commit the crime that night?
    Some suggest Parry knew the haul from a robbery would be greater on the Tuesday rather than the Monday. This is logical, but then we might expect that the robbery would have been more thorough on the Tuesday. We know this was not the case and monies very visible in the house were ignored. So maximising the robbery haul does not appear to be an over-riding concern.
    Some also suggest Parry needed to introduce the name Qualtrough so an accomplice could gain entry to the house the following night without raising suspiscion. Of course, the phone call to Wallace at the chess club does not ensure the name would be mentioned to Julia and so would be a risky strategy. Also inventing the client does not ensure Wallace would follow up on the enquiry.
    Given all of the above, the approach Parry would most likely take, I believe, is to set up the crime for Monday night when Wallace was definitely out at the chess club. The Qualtrough call only serves to make a successful robbery less likely than commiting the crime on Monday when he was surer of Wallace's movements.

Wallace
    Wallace needed to invent both a reason to be out of the house Tuesday night as well as a patsy for the murder (Qualtrough) if he were guilty. The phone call does both of these things. The phone call makes the crime and diverting suspiscion successfully more likely than simply commiting the murder on Monday night and using the chess club as an alibi. Without Qualtrough, the police only have Wallace to focus on as the murderer. Qualtrough confuses matters and sends the police down rabbit holes (although in the event this did not happen and the police did focus mostly on Wallace).

I would argue the Qualtrough call is likely to help Wallace divert suspiscion from his commiting the crime and so it nakes logical sense for him to make the call. I would also argue the Qualtrough call would introduce risk that would make Parry successfully engineering the crime less likely than simply commiting the crime on the Monday night.

Last edited by etenguy; 01-31-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 15.04.42-2.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	700871 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 14.37.08-1.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	700872 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 14.25.58-1.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	700873 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 14.34.16-1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	700874

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 12.29.08-1.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	700876 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 14.19.05-1.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	700877 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 12.32.26-1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	700878 Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 14.17.51-1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	700879

Comment

• Nice looking place. Just out of curiosity, and unrelated to the case, how big is Calderstones Park?
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• 126 acres.

Liverpool's public parks are "collectively, the most important in the country" [English Heritage] The city was a world pioneer, and many parks - in particular, New York's Central Park - can trace their inspiration directly back to the Liverpool's (and Birkenhead) parks.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parks_...s_in_Liverpool
            http://www.allertonoak.net/AMH/12Parks.html
            Last edited by RodCrosby; 01-31-2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post
              126 acres.

Liverpool's public parks are "collectively, the most important in the country" [English Heritage] The city was a world pioneer, and many parks - in particular, New York's Central Park - can trace their inspiration directly back to the Liverpool's (and Birkenhead) parks.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parks_...s_in_Liverpool
              This isn’t a dig or anything like that but it does say 94 acres on Wiki. Have they got it wrong? It’s not important, just wondered?
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• A bit of another estate was added, I think, at some time in the distant past. Many references say 126 acres, including....

When you walk out of one of the gates, you stumble upon... Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 14.42.09-1.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	700885
                Who lived there?
                Last edited by RodCrosby; 01-31-2019, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RodCrosby View Post
                  A bit of another estate was added, I think, at some time in the distant past. Many references say 126 acres, including....

When you walk out of one of the gates, you stumble upon... Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-31 14.42.09-1.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	700885
                  Who lived there?
                  I can’t claim to know the answer but looking at the map Ballantrae Road appears to lead into Menlove Avenue so is it John Lennon? Unless I’m completely wrong and it’s someone from the case?
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• It runs into Mather Avenue, not Menlove Avenue.

Samuel Beattie lived at 27, Ballantrae Road.

(and he assumed MGE existed, notwithstanding him residing less than a mile from the Gardens)

Comment

• Roland Oliver: " Do you know Mr Wallace's voice well?
                      Samuel Beattie: "Yes"
                      Roland Oliver: "Did it occur to you that it was anything like his voice."
                      Samuel Beattie: "Certainly not."
                      Roland Oliver: "Does it occur to you now it was anything like his voice."
                      Samuel Beattie: "It would take a great stretch of the imagination for me to say it was anything like that.'

Objectivity speaking, based upon this exchange I think it reasonable to conclude that the caller was highly unlikely to have been Wallace.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that Wallace would have been keen to disguise his voice . Oliver was questioning Beatie on the premise that Wallice was using his own voice. hi

Comment

• I think both Oliver and Beattie would know that if Wallace made the call he would have attempted to disguise his voice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

This isn’t a dig or anything like that but it does say 94 acres on Wiki. Have they got it wrong? It’s not important, just wondered?
                          Got me wondering and looking around N. Liverpool for golf courses. Wonder if along with his Rambling hobby , bowling and the such, maybe Wallace was also partial to a round of golf. If he murdered his Wife with a 'number 3 wood ' he would have zero blood on his person. Just a thought.

Comment

• On the subject of parks and gardens in Liverpool, I see that the grounds of Strawberry Field(s) will be open to the public later this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by APerno View Post
                              And now with much narcissism I want to go back to my point . . . it is not whether Wallace had enough time to commit the acts necessary, what I want to know is why would such an elaborately concocted PLAN include such a ridiculously small window of time. To me that makes no sense. If he knew the milk boy usually came between 6:30 and 6:45 why not move the entire plan forward by one hour and have his intended meeting scheduled for 8:30 instead of 7:30? -- As I have said, I have a problem with calling this a 'well thought out plan.'
                              For me the planning of the murder to take place between Alan Close's call,and catching the tram at 7 06 pm, is crucial to the plans success .

It back fired since the jury, taking the police efforts into account, of timing the walk from Wolverton street to the tram stop,believed it to

be more than possible. Moving everything forward an hour wouldn't do for Wallace, he needed the 'starting pistol' so to speak of the

milk boys visit. He clearly intended also on an extra alibi from the post office or paper shop at 8 00 clock. Just before they closed , the

meeting of a policeman at the bottom of Green Lane was a bonus alibi he didn't actually need.In fact the overkill of alibis is too suspicious

by far for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
                                One thing that has been keeping me busy is writing an article on "forensic mathematics" and the Wallace case. If you are comfortable with maths then please read Waiting For An Alibi, which investigates the timings of events on the Monday night.

I hope to post a guest article on my website soon, and you'll be the first to know.

P.S. I hope those old enough to remember and appreciate Thin Lizzy will appreciate the article title!
                                Hello CCJ.
                                In your article 'waiting for an alibi' you mention telephone calls not being traceable . This will of course be true once the caller has hung up and the operator pulled the chord. In the case of the call made by 'Qualtrough' a few hundred yards from Wallaces house,it was I believe the fact that the caller made issue with the operator of not making connection after pressing button 'A' ( though he had in fact pressed button 'B') which alerted the operator to the identifying of the call box , since she had her patch chord 'in' for that location. The caller knew that by seemingly didleing the GPO out of Tuppence the operator or rather her supervisor would log the circumstance, this leads me to contend it was not Parry making the call, because he wasn't smart enough, Wallace was ,and used this ploy as part of his plan to have the police believe he was being targetted,the call being made so close to his home.

Comment

Working...
                                X