Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could solve any non-JTR mystery which would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eclectic browser View Post
    The disappearance of Tara Calico and especially the puzzling and disquieting circumstances about the photo of a young woman and boy gagged and seemingly bound, which rightly or wrongly has been linked to the case.
    That is very strange indeed. I am not familiar with it. It has bizarre twists, not the least of which were the Polaroid pictures. I recall hearing about a young girl child vanishing from New Mexico, but am not sure of the time frame.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post
      The Tamám Shud case. A man was found dead on a beach in Adelaide, Australia in December 1948. He had no ID. All of the labels in the man's clothing had been removed. His prints were not on record. The man has never been identified. The cause of death has never been identified. A suitcase left in a train station was tied to the man, but provided no answers. Four months after the body was found, a re-examination of the man's personal effects found a piece of paper with the words Tamám Shud printed on it. It had been torn from a copy of the Rubiyat. Four months later a man turned in the specific copy of the book that paper had been torn from - he'd found it lying on the floor of his car around the time the body was found. Some letters had been written inside the back cover, possibly a cipher, but no one has figured out what they mean. There was also woman's phone number. She had given a copy of this edition of the Rubiyat to a male friend a few years previously. He turned out to still be alive and still had the undamaged copy of the Rubiyat that he had been given.
      Try this thread at Casebook for more information on newer developments.

A place to discuss other historical mysteries, famous crimes, paranormal activity, infamous disasters, etc.

---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

• The Dyatlov Pass Incident.

although some of it can possibly be explained.....I would like to know what happened inside the tent that caused the panic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

I would love to see the Suzy Lamplugh case solved.

I attended a conference in London back in the 1990's where her late mother Diana gave a talk about the case.

She talked about proposed safety measures for lone working women as well as basic self defence / what women can do if attacked.

Amazing woman!

I find it terribly sad that she died without knowing what happened to her daughter.

I also vaguely knew Claudia Lawrence when I was in the sixth form at school.

She didn't go to my school, but we had some mutual friends and would bump into each other in the local pubs on a Friday night.

I would love for that one to be resolved.

When she disappeared, I hadn't thought of her in years, but I recognised the pictures and name immediately.

She always seemed like a really nice, friendly, bubbly girl.

Terribly sad.
          Yes, Diana Lamplugh came to the office in which I was working to give a talk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

wow fiver this ones a doozy.
            never heard of this one before. after a quick persusal of the case heres my take.

the unknown man was jessicas lover (in 46 time frame) and maybe possibly the father of her son. like her previous lover alf boxall, she gave unknown man a copy of the rubiyat before he had to go on some military/spy mission. he was a spy that why all his clothes and belonging had labels torn out, had no id and remains unidentified to this day. he returned from his mission a couple years later and visited jessica, he was in love with her, only to be rebuffed and told by her she was with thompson. he went to the beach where he took poison(as spies will have) and died.

what say you
            bumping for fiver
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• oh and the DB cooper case for sure!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                The Dyatlov Pass Incident.

although some of it can possibly be explained.....I would like to know what happened inside the tent that caused the panic.
                I don't think we'll ever know what caused the panic. It could have been an imagined or even dreamed avalanche. After that, nothing is mysterious. Panic and paradoxical undressing (one of the last stages of hypothermia) explain the lack of clothing. The severe body injuries were on people who had fallen into a 4 meter ravine. The bodies with missing soft tissues had been exposed to flowing water when the snow melted and to scavengers. The bodies with tough, discoulored, rind-like skin had been exposed to the sun for weeks. The thorium mantles from their lanterns explains the trace amount of radiation found on some of their clothing.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

wow fiver this ones a doozy.
                  never heard of this one before. after a quick persusal of the case heres my take.

the unknown man was jessicas lover (in 46 time frame) and maybe possibly the father of her son. like her previous lover alf boxall, she gave unknown man a copy of the rubiyat before he had to go on some military/spy mission. he was a spy that why all his clothes and belonging had labels torn out, had no id and remains unidentified to this day. he returned from his mission a couple years later and visited jessica, he was in love with her, only to be rebuffed and told by her she was with thompson. he went to the beach where he took poison(as spies will have) and died.

what say you
                  That's certainly possible, but it still leaves many unanswered questions. If the Somerton man did commit commit suicide by poison, what was that poison and what happened to the container.
                  "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

I don't think we'll ever know what caused the panic. It could have been an imagined or even dreamed avalanche. After that, nothing is mysterious. Panic and paradoxical undressing (one of the last stages of hypothermia) explain the lack of clothing. The severe body injuries were on people who had fallen into a 4 meter ravine. The bodies with missing soft tissues had been exposed to flowing water when the snow melted and to scavengers. The bodies with tough, discoulored, rind-like skin had been exposed to the sun for weeks. The thorium mantles from their lanterns explains the trace amount of radiation found on some of their clothing.
                    hi fiver
                    i think the initial panic is pretty easy to explain too. the tent was being crushed with snow, by a blizzard and or slow roll avalanch. the zipper to get out was frozen or blocked so they cut themselves out. evrything else after that you mentioned probably correct too.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

That's certainly possible, but it still leaves many unanswered questions. If the Somerton man did commit commit suicide by poison, what was that poison and what happened to the container.
                      who knows, the drs mentioned some. ill go with them. container? not sure what you mean. if it was part of some pill, then it dissolved in the stomach. other wise perhaps he discarded the container or whatever right after he took the poison, which may not have been where he was found. and or it just wasnt found or noticed.

i wonder what nationality he was. a clerk where his suitcase was found said he was an english speaking man. does that mean british? wouldnt the clerk be able to tell if it was american, australian or british accent? i would think so,,,so to me sounds like he was british. a british spy. and so no wonder hes never ided.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Abby, latest on the unknown dead man on an Australian beach seems to link him to New England via DNA analysis. There is an article link further up thread. So, an American? Spy or otherwise not known yet.

Fiver, a new solution on the Dhlatov Pass Incident suggests "a block avalanche" which is a different kind of avalanche and not ruled out by the surrounding terrain. So, natural disaster and human panic, as you said.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

I also vaguely knew Claudia Lawrence when I was in the sixth form at school.

She didn't go to my school, but we had some mutual friends and would bump into each other in the local pubs on a Friday night.

I would love for that one to be resolved.

When she disappeared, I hadn't thought of her in years, but I recognised the pictures and name immediately.

She always seemed like a really nice, friendly, bubbly girl.

Terribly sad.
                          Hi Ms Diddles - I was sorry to learn that the search operation around woods and gravel pits near to York by police investigating the suspected murder of Claudia Lawrence has this week been called off with ''nothing of obvious significance'' found.

Not altogether surprised though. Always seemed something of a longshot seeing police officers walking through woodland in the hope of coming across anything material more than twelve years on.

Your impression matches exactly that conveyed by the photographs shown of her in the media. Always seeming to have a smile. As you say, terribly sad.

Best wishes,
                          OneRound

Comment

• Originally posted by OneRound View Post

Hi Ms Diddles - I was sorry to learn that the search operation around woods and gravel pits near to York by police investigating the suspected murder of Claudia Lawrence has this week been called off with ''nothing of obvious significance'' found.

Not altogether surprised though. Always seemed something of a longshot seeing police officers walking through woodland in the hope of coming across anything material more than twelve years on.

Your impression matches exactly that conveyed by the photographs shown of her in the media. Always seeming to have a smile. As you say, terribly sad.

Best wishes,
                            OneRound
                            Yeah, OneRound!

I kind of got my hopes up when I read of the renewed police activity on this one.

It sounds like it was another dead end though.

I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like for Claudia's family and friends.

Comment

Working...
                            X