Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could solve any non-JTR mystery which would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd go Dyatlov Pass for this one!

It's ages since I read about it, but it's a truly bizarre story.

I'm sure there are documents somewhere (in the Kremlin?) which would shed light on the event.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
      I'd go Dyatlov Pass for this one!

I'm sure there are documents somewhere (in the Kremlin?) which would shed light on the event.
      Agreed. Apparently they have found a letter from Russian officials which talks about going out to look for them even before they were reported missing. I think the Russian Army was somehow involved in this.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Agreed. Apparently they have found a letter from Russian officials which talks about going out to look for them even before they were reported missing. I think the Russian Army was somehow involved in this.

c.d.
        Yeah! I remember reading that there is evidence that the search was instigated before the hikers had even been reported missing.

I'm sure that there is a file locked in a drawer somewhere in the Kremlin which contains all the answers.

Will it ever be released though......????

Probably not.

Comment

• I’m surprised you find it so fascinating, as far as I recall, everything is consistent with hyperthermia following snowstorm or avalanche.

I’d probably pick the Roman dodecahedrons. Even though the answer most likely is just mundane and uninteresting

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
            I’m surprised you find it so fascinating, as far as I recall, everything is consistent with hyperthermia following snowstorm or avalanche.

I’d probably pick the Roman dodecahedrons. Even though the answer most likely is just mundane and uninteresting
            As stated, it's a while since I have read about Dyatlov, but IIRC avalanche was ruled out pretty quickly (something to do with the gradiant / type of snow??).

Hypothermia wouldn't explain some of the injuries and the spread out locations of the bodies (nor why the tent was ripped open from the inside).

Generally, I will always opt for a simple, sensible, mundane solution over a convoluted, dramatic or conspiracy theory based one, but I do remember after reading several books and watching a few documentaries on this, thinking that there is something "off" about it all.

Just to clarify though, I most certainly don't subscribe to the crazy Alien / yeti theories which abound in this case!!

Comment

• The Dyatlov Pass incident received considerable publicity back in January--in the National Geographic, etc.

A new study by a Swiss researcher proved, fairly conclusively, that is was a 'slab' avalanche, and his computer models seems to back it up. The Russians came to the same conclusion, but his new computer model explains all the odder details of the incident.

Russia's 'Dyatlov Pass' conspiracy theory may finally be solved 60 years later | Live Science

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
                The Dyatlov Pass incident received considerable publicity back in January--in the National Geographic, etc.

A new study by a Swiss researcher proved, fairly conclusively, that is was a 'slab' avalanche, and his computer models seems to back it up. The Russians came to the same conclusion, but his new computer model explains all the odder details of the incident.

Russia's 'Dyatlov Pass' conspiracy theory may finally be solved 60 years later | Live Science

Oh!

That's interesting.

I hadn't heard about that development.

Thanks, RJP!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                  I'd go Dyatlov Pass for this one!

hi diddles
                  as people have mentioned, ive always thought its probably blizzard/ avanlanch snow covering and collapsing the tent. they were trapped in it and cut there way out, and froze to death. the ones with traumatic injuries due to falling into ravine and or scavenged by animals.
                  its really not that much of a mystery.

for me i go with zodiac, jon benet ramsey , monster of florence.

non crime related ..chessie, area 51, antikythera mechanism

Comment

• I saw a very interesting two part episode of "Expedition Unknown" called "The Mystery of Death Mountain" which mentioned the new police document discovery at the end of part 2. If I recall, it indicated that officials knew of the hikers' deaths BEFORE the officially recorded date of the discovery of their bodies. So someone was out there earlier, and they covered up the sequence of finding the bodies? Why?

It was a good overview of the case for newcomers, because Josh Gates and two companions (one a Russian woman) retrace the path the hiking party took and address each of the theories that have been proposed. For instance, the supposed "Yeti" photo on one of the cameras was just a blurred shot of another hiker. (There was another TV documentary about Yetis which used this photo and incident as "proof" of how dangerous Yetis are...sigh...)

Josh's group decided the weather's sudden change and simple human error led to people making mistakes that led to their deaths. They did talk about the avalanche theory a little bit, but didn't seem to think it was likely, given the terrain. However, this info about the Swiss researchers and "slab avalanches" is new to me, and may explain the case at last.

I recommend finding the Expedition Unknown episode, if only for getting a sense of how isolated these people were and how fiercely beautiful the mountain is.
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

• I recommend finding the Expedition Unknown episode, if only for getting a sense of how isolated these people were and how fiercely beautiful the mountain is.

I did see that and it was quite good. Looked at the pros and cons for various explanations.

c.d.

Comment

• In the US I'd go for:

Ronald Tammen
                        Ray Gricar
                        Jonathan Luna
                        Matt Flores

In the UK:

Chillenden Murders
                        Suzy Lamplugh
                        Alastair Wilson
                        Jill Dando

Personally I think the last two were killed by the same contract-killer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dupplin Muir View Post
                          In the US I'd go for:

Ronald Tammen
                          Ray Gricar
                          Jonathan Luna
                          Matt Flores

In the UK:

Chillenden Murders
                          Suzy Lamplugh
                          Alastair Wilson
                          Jill Dando

Personally I think the last two were killed by the same contract-killer.
                          I would love to see the Suzy Lamplugh case solved.

I attended a conference in London back in the 1990's where her late mother Diana gave a talk about the case.

She talked about proposed safety measures for lone working women as well as basic self defence / what women can do if attacked.

Amazing woman!

I find it terribly sad that she died without knowing what happened to her daughter.

I also vaguely knew Claudia Lawrence when I was in the sixth form at school.

She didn't go to my school, but we had some mutual friends and would bump into each other in the local pubs on a Friday night.

I would love for that one to be resolved.

When she disappeared, I hadn't thought of her in years, but I recognised the pictures and name immediately.

She always seemed like a really nice, friendly, bubbly girl.

Terribly sad.

Comment

• The Tamám Shud case. A man was found dead on a beach in Adelaide, Australia in December 1948. He had no ID. All of the labels in the man's clothing had been removed. His prints were not on record. The man has never been identified. The cause of death has never been identified. A suitcase left in a train station was tied to the man, but provided no answers. Four months after the body was found, a re-examination of the man's personal effects found a piece of paper with the words Tamám Shud printed on it. It had been torn from a copy of the Rubiyat. Four months later a man turned in the specific copy of the book that paper had been torn from - he'd found it lying on the floor of his car around the time the body was found. Some letters had been written inside the back cover, possibly a cipher, but no one has figured out what they mean. There was also woman's phone number. She had given a copy of this edition of the Rubiyat to a male friend a few years previously. He turned out to still be alive and still had the undamaged copy of the Rubiyat that he had been given.
                            "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post
                              The Tamám Shud case. A man was found dead on a beach in Adelaide, Australia in December 1948. He had no ID. All of the labels in the man's clothing had been removed. His prints were not on record. The man has never been identified. The cause of death has never been identified. A suitcase left in a train station was tied to the man, but provided no answers. Four months after the body was found, a re-examination of the man's personal effects found a piece of paper with the words Tamám Shud printed on it. It had been torn from a copy of the Rubiyat. Four months later a man turned in the specific copy of the book that paper had been torn from - he'd found it lying on the floor of his car around the time the body was found. Some letters had been written inside the back cover, possibly a cipher, but no one has figured out what they mean. There was also woman's phone number. She had given a copy of this edition of the Rubiyat to a male friend a few years previously. He turned out to still be alive and still had the undamaged copy of the Rubiyat that he had been given.
                              wow fiver this ones a doozy.
                              never heard of this one before. after a quick persusal of the case heres my take.

the unknown man was jessicas lover (in 46 time frame) and maybe possibly the father of her son. like her previous lover alf boxall, she gave unknown man a copy of the rubiyat before he had to go on some military/spy mission. he was a spy that why all his clothes and belonging had labels torn out, had no id and remains unidentified to this day. he returned from his mission a couple years later and visited jessica, he was in love with her, only to be rebuffed and told by her she was with thompson. he went to the beach where he took poison(as spies will have) and died.

what say you

Comment

• The disappearance of Tara Calico and especially the puzzling and disquieting circumstances about the photo of a young woman and boy gagged and seemingly bound, which rightly or wrongly has been linked to the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X