Ripperologist 117

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist 117

I've just started this issue, but wanted to point out that Eduardo's editorial is brilliant. People of his intelligence raise the level of this study. I'm so glad that we have people of his calibre writing for us.

As stated on JTRForums, Congrats to William Gareth for joining their editorial team.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I seldom get over to the Forums, and William Gareth is a name unknown in Ripperdom. You don't mean Gareth Williams, do you? Flynn? Geez, no wonder this issue is so good.

Comment

Hello Maurice,

Goodness me, Yes...Sam Flynn. I am tired, really no excuse for that one.

Have a good evening.
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

To clear the confusion,

Gareth Williams uses the psuedonym of Sam Flynn when in cyberland.

Why? Well its an interesting story regarding dogs, and if youre fortunate enough to meet him as him.

One enduring image of 2007 conference at Wolverhampton is sitting in a hotel lobby with Gareth, along with Stewart Evans, Rob Clack, Philip Hutchinson, Robert Anderson, Don Souden, Glenn Anderson and other known names in our field, just discussing Jack. Fantastic.

Congrats Gareth, the Rip team are lucky tohave such a learned, witty and grounded 'ologist' on board.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi All,

Phil Carter's report from the London Ripper conference [Rip 117] illustrates just what an asset Gareth Williams will prove to Ripperologist magazine.

Good catch, guys.

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood
              Phil Carter's report from the London Ripper conference [Rip 117] illustrates just what an asset Gareth Williams will prove to Ripperologist magazine.
              It does? It was the gayest write-up I've ever read, and huge chunks were plaguirized (or culled, if you prefer) from his blurbs in Casebook Examiner.

While Sam Flynn is a great guy, a delightful humorist, and one helluva Ripperologist, can he edit the written word? Time will tell.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

I'll bet he can.

I'll also bet that Gareth can spell plagiarised.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Monty,
                  if it's not too private, I'd be curious to hear about the dog-related choice of Gareth Williams' pseudonym. I was impressed by Mr Williams' contribution at the September Whitechapel conference (about Severin Klosowski's “medical“ activities in Poland, presenting some new information) and by his contributions both on casebook and JTRForums. I'd say, with this new addition in the editorial staff, it's high time to subscribe to Ripperologist.
                  Monty, if that won't be a nuisance, at some point I might need to PM you about researching Victorian bank records in London. I hear that Victorian bank records are a hell of a pain in the butt to get available, but Rob Clack promised to help with this.
                  So far in Ripperology I've only heard about the possibilty of researching bookkeeping and bankruptcies in The Official Receiver and in The London Gazzette, where all bankruptcies were (and still are) reported in the UK. I've seen that Chris Scott and you have researched George Lusk's bookkeeping and self-proclaimed bankruptcy in these specialized newspapers, and there's even a casebook thread about this in General discussions.

To Simon Wood:
                  I guess there's no other way to have access to Phil Carter's report from the London Ripper conference but to back order Ripperologist 117?
                  Simon, I'm so sorry, due to an impending conference (for which I still haven't produced the paper, and it's in 3 days!) and various pieces on deadline for publication I had to relocate to Berlin for the entire winter. I won't be in Paris before March, thus the research at the Police Museum and the departmental Archives de Paris (for which I'm SOOO grateful for your hint about Ostrog) had to be postponed. I was hoping to spend part of last week in Paris and have a quick look at the police/tribunal archives, but I got ill for 3 days and missed that small window of opportunity. (As whiney reports and excuses go.)
                  Apologies for slightly misdirecting this thread, and thank you.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Tom Wescott wrote:
                    While Sam Flynn is a great guy, a delightful humorist, and one helluva Ripperologist, can he edit the written word? Time will tell.

He MOST certainly can. A dead-on giveway is how he writes and punctuates when (informally) posting in the forums. And the structured, composed fashion in which he speaks doesn't hurt either.
                    As for the humorist-part, I was lost for a minute, then I recalled his “posteriority“ joke on Diemschutz. I loved that one.
                    And Tom, for your information, it's much easier to edit the written word than to write the word. (As I'm sure you'd agree if you give this some thought.)
                    Last edited by mariab; 12-01-2010, 12:12 AM.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

Congratulations to Gareth on his Ripperologist job. So that's where he wented.

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                        [B]

And Tom, for your information, it's much easier to edit the written word than to write the word. (As I'm sure you'd agree if you give this some thought.)
                        Well what I would agree,Maria, is that Tom is one of the few people who can actually "write"---as opposed to being a ripper hack!

Comment

Hi Maria. You're not already a Rip subscriber? You want to get a copy to - of all things - read a Phil Carter review? And personally I find editing harder than writing.

Actually, I think it's great that Sam is on board with Rip. It can only improve the magazine, and since I pay for my copies, that's a good thing. I only meant that just because someone is a great researcher and a good writer doesn't mean he'd make a good editor. Take it from me that not all editors are created equal.

Hi Simon. Be nice and remember that I'm American, so good English is not my first language.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Folks,
                            I haven"t received my copy yet of Ripperologist 117.But I am really glad to learn that Gareth is on the editorial board because he is certainly hugely talented-oh and no hack.Congratulations!

Comment

Hello Tom,

One.. I wrote ONE article and sent the same one to both Rip and CE, as both had asked me within minutes of each other at the conference. I said they could use what they wished to, in the interests of sharing and being non-biased. Jenny used parts of it, Adam used parts of it. Just so you know.

Two.. Perhaps you recognise a gay article when you read it.. I do not, as I happen to straight. Sorry to disappoint you sweetie.. look elsewhere for your kicks Tommypoo ... besides, I'd find more attraction in Mary Westmacott...
                              just so you know

Three... trying to wind me up Tom is pointless, go back to class and learn from those who have already tried and learnt.. I don't bite the bait... just so you know.

Have a nice evening.

best wishes

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                              X