Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes Patricia Cornwall so special?!?! How come SHE gets all the limelight?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Khanada View Post
    Would anyone be able to tell me the answer to the question I posted a while back? I forget quite the exact words and don't feel like looking, but basically, who is tooting the horn of Bower's unpublished or incompletely published findings? Patricia Cornwell, or Peter Bower himself?
    Khanada,
    as near as I can tell, all the touting is happening in this thread!!
    Most likely this Mr. Bower is sunning himself on a faraway island, eating fine pastas and drinking sunset passion coladas....and blissfully unaware he is such a hot topic of discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khanada View Post
      Would anyone be able to tell me the answer to the question I posted a while back? I forget quite the exact words and don't feel like looking, but basically, who is tooting the horn of Bower's unpublished or incompletely published findings? Patricia Cornwell, or Peter Bower himself?
      Can't answer definitively, but I seem to recall seeing an interview with her somewhere where she said something along the lines of, 'these [letters] will be publicly available at some point, and then [pointing accusatory finger] Sickert'd better watch out.' She seemed to be under the impression an arrest was imminent
      best,

claire

Comment

• Not in France

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
        I don't disagree that Sickertt may have written some letters, he does seem to have an interest in the case and a peverse sense of humour, but they way the she jumps around is ridiculous. She discovers that Sickertt was not in France when one of the murders happened, so he must have been in Whitechapple slaughtering some poor unfortunate. Its bad history if nothing else.
        Sickert was in France. Letters from himself and his mom prove it.

Comment

• Thank you Claire and Brenda.

Basically, for me it's like this. If Peter Bower himself is saying (in essence) that there's more to it than can be disclosed at present, it might amount to something, or still might be nothing at all, but I guess it makes me more willing to play wait-and-see. If it's Patricia Cornwell saying these things, well, frankly, I tend to think that perhaps it is more likely that she is seeing the parts she wants to see. It's a human enough tendency, and everyone's done it at some point, Ripper author or no.
          ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

• Hi Khanada,
            wait-and-see?
            How long more will you be waiting? And what to see?
            Cornwell's book was published 6 years ago, and Bower's work was already supposed to have been decisive.
            Better wait for Godot.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
              Hi Khanada,
              wait-and-see?
              How long more will you be waiting? And what to see?
              Cornwell's book was published 6 years ago, and Bower's work was already supposed to have been decisive.
              Better wait for Godot.
              If, as some posters assert, Bower's work has not been completely and totally published, then it's hard to judge what one has not read.

This does not mean I think Patsy's book should be on a non-fiction shelf (far, far from it), nor that I think there is some great and shining revelation just waiting to be had. It does mean that I'm willing to give a look to something that might come along later, if indeed it ever does; it doesn't mean I will change my opinion about Sickert being the Ripper (which currently stands at "ha -- as if!").

Again, if it's Cornwell herself making statements that Bower's work says X, Y, Z, without letting the entire work be seen, then I have to think (given her track record) that she really may just be looking at the results and spinning them to suit herself. If it's Bower saying things, I guess I am just inclined to be an eensy-weensy-woo-woo more charitable -- or, at least, I am trying these days to keep the knee-jerk reactions to a minimum.
              ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

• What's so hard to understand? If you or I as an author, had paid a small army of researchers to undertake tests, examinations, interviews, etc. Then wouldn't we want to be the first to publish these findings?

What's taking so long? Well, given that Ms Cornwell has been slated by most people here I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that maybe, just maybe, she is being very cautious given that she realises and acknowledges her errors in the first publication.

Let's wait and see.
                I didn't do it, a big boy did it and ran away.

Comment

• I Did It!!!!

I did it. I am Jack the Ripper. Why? because I"m down on whores. ha ha

Just saw the movie "The Ripper" on cinemax last night with Patrick Bergin. It was "interesting" to say the least. Although not factual, I love the way it had so many theories that it kept mixing them up. HA HA. I enjoyed it. I thought as a movie, it was better than From Hell. What was interesting to me was how Marie Lewis in "The Ripper" looked and sounded almost exactly like Ricci's Mary Kelly in From Hell. although, Marie Lewis had a better irish accent.

What's the best ripper movie in terms of accuracy and good old movie quality?

Comment

• Originally posted by mac-the-kipper View Post
                    she is being very cautious given that she realises and acknowledges her errors in the first publication.
                    Would a "very cautious" person write two books about the same unviable suspect?

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

• Originally posted by downonwhores View Post
                      Marie Lewis in "The Ripper" looked and sounded almost exactly like Ricci's Mary Kelly in From Hell. although, Marie Lewis had a better irish accent.
                      Thought Heather Graham was Mary Kelly in "From Hell"
                      Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                        Would a "very cautious" person write two books about the same unviable suspect?

Amitiés,
                        David
                        You know she's doing that do you? Aren't revisions allowed here?
                        I didn't do it, a big boy did it and ran away.

Comment

• You're right

Yes Mike. You are right. I always forget her name and always mixed up with Ricci.

Comment

• Originally posted by mac-the-kipper View Post
                            You know she's doing that do you? Aren't revisions allowed here?

Are you telling me that she is writing a new suspect-biased book, with someone else than Sickert, in the role of the Ripper?
                            Funny enough.

Comment

• Yup, it's called, Jack the Ripper, Case Cash Cow.
                              best,

claire

Comment

• You couldn't write this in a comedy routine!

Just when you think Pirate Jack is the only one in PC's corner....along comes mac-the-kipper,to back him up....all we need now is a mermaid to appear!

Mac,...hope you don't mind me using your first name...
                                Do you not detect something a little fishy about this suspect.....

In other words........HE 'AINT JACK THE RIPPER.

Comment

Working...
                                X