Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Herlock,
    Here are a few suggestions for you.

Robert A. Caro has written 4 wonderful volumes on the Life of Lyndon B. Johnson, they are huge tomes, averaging about 900 pages each.
    I am just finishing off volume 4 which covers Kennedy's surprise choice of Johnson as his running mate and LBJ's ascent to the presidency after Dallas.

They are all wonderful books, but if you are looking to dip your toe in the water, I suggest that you jump into volume 4 and enjoy the ride.
    It is a masterclass of superb biographical writing......................go on, take the leap you won't regret it.

Caro is 85 years old and is finishing off the final volume which covers Johnson's war in Vietnam and his Civil Rights Act, it'll be a doozy!

Another highly recommended book is The Lodger by Charles Nicholl which covers Shakespeare's time living in Silver Street London when he was called as a witness in a breach of promise lawsuit.
    His time in Silver Street is one of the very rare occasions when we know exactly where Shakespeare actually was.
    It's a masterclass of biographical writing.

2 masterclasses for the price of one.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      LobsterBoy-a sordid tale of murder, mystery and mayhem amongst circus sideshow freaks.
      Cheers Abby, I like the sound of that one.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
        Hi Herlock,
        Here are a few suggestions for you.

Robert A. Caro has written 4 wonderful volumes on the Life of Lyndon B. Johnson, they are huge tomes, averaging about 900 pages each.
        I am just finishing off volume 4 which covers Kennedy's surprise choice of Johnson as his running mate and LBJ's ascent to the presidency after Dallas.

They are all wonderful books, but if you are looking to dip your toe in the water, I suggest that you jump into volume 4 and enjoy the ride.
        It is a masterclass of superb biographical writing......................go on, take the leap you won't regret it.

Caro is 85 years old and is finishing off the final volume which covers Johnson's war in Vietnam and his Civil Rights Act, it'll be a doozy!

Another highly recommended book is The Lodger by Charles Nicholl which covers Shakespeare's time living in Silver Street London when he was called as a witness in a breach of promise lawsuit.
        His time in Silver Street is one of the very rare occasions when we know exactly where Shakespeare actually was.
        It's a masterclass of biographical writing.

2 masterclasses for the price of one.

Enjoy!
        Cheers Barn,

Ive recently watched Ken Burns brilliant 6 part documentary on the Roosevelt’s. I know very little about American politics but have been tempted to go for an FDR biography and possibly one on Theodore. When I was looking into biographies I came across reviews of the Caro books. All pretty much called them benchmarks for political biographies.

Ive just ordered biographies of Barbara Castle and Aleister Crowley and I’m still waiting for my book on The Shark Arm Case which I think is coming from the Outer Hebrides by steam roller!

On a lighter note a few weeks ago I bought the complete Rumpole Of The Bailey stories. Brilliant stuff
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Aleister Crowley
          Worth a visit to Internet Archive.

Israel Regardie was his secretary 1928/9.One of his books is an interesting insight.

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post

Worth a visit to Internet Archive.

Israel Regardie was his secretary 1928/9.One of his books is an interesting insight.
            Cheers Dave
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I've got the Otto Penzler book on Sherlock Holmes but does anyone have his Ripper book? What's in it and is it worth getting?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

"Catch me if you can" by Frank Abagnale Jr, one of my all time favourite books.

The movie was good entertainment, but it was very liberal in regards to Frank's actual motives.

Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Soundtrack is good.

Which one is he?

The Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can - YouTube

Comment

Soundtrack is good.

Which one is he?

The Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can - YouTube
                    Knowing Frank Abagnale Jr, he's the one with all the cash and women.
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

I'd definitely recommend this one. The Dead Duke His Secret Wife And The Missing Corpse by Piu Marie Eatwell.

It's about a claim to an inheritance involving claims of a dual identity and a faked death with a few illegitimate children thrown in, an exhumation and a cast of strange (and not all completely sane) characters. Walter Dew played a part as did, to a lesser extent, JG Littlechild. It would have made a good movie. I picked up my copy cheaply online.

Highly recommended
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I've just finished reading The Rotherham Trunk Murder by Jeanette Hensby. This is available cheaply on Amazon and it's well worth it. An interesting case and a well written book. I just wish that I could find more like it. I've ordered another by the same author which should arrive tomorrow.

Certainly worth a go.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I've just finished a second book by the same author called The Abdy Farm Murders which is about the horrific murder of two little girls in 1912. Another well written and enjoyable book by this author. I'm not completely convinced by her solution but it's certainly possible that she's correct.

I prefer these historical true crime stories as they tend to have more atmosphere especially if they have photos (as both of the above books do.) There not so easy to come by online unless you here if a specific case. Whenever you type in 'histirical true crime' or anything similar you tend to get the same titles. So I'm enjoying reading of these lesser known historical cases which can usually be purchased pretty cheaply online. I'm just about to begin The Musical Milkman Murder by Quentin Falk.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I've just finished a second book by the same author called The Abdy Farm Murders which is about the horrific murder of two little girls in 1912. Another well written and enjoyable book by this author.

Comment

Good book.....sad story.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I've just finished a second book by the same author called The Abdy Farm Murders which is about the horrific murder of two little girls in 1912. Another well written and enjoyable book by this author. I'm not completely convinced by her solution but it's certainly possible that she's correct.

I prefer these historical true crime stories as they tend to have more atmosphere especially if they have photos (as both of the above books do.) There not so easy to come by online unless you here if a specific case. Whenever you type in 'histirical true crime' or anything similar you tend to get the same titles. So I'm enjoying reading of these lesser known historical cases which can usually be purchased pretty cheaply online. I'm just about to begin The Musical Milkman Murder by Quentin Falk.
                                Hi Herlock - I assume that's not about the killing of Ernie by Two Ton Ted from Teddington.

Best,
                                OneRound

Comment

Working...
                                X