Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Reviews and Information

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Book Reviews and Information

    I donít know if thereís another thread with the same purpose and so my apologies if there is.

    I often waiver before shelling out my hard-earned on a book so I thought it might be an idea that we could ask for opinions and reviews on books from Forum members (or even recommendations for books on certain subjects.)

    I know very little about the Borden Case. I think that I read three books over a short space of time around 20 years ago and that was that. There is a new book out however called The Trial Of Lizzie Borden by Cara Robertson which claims to be the result of 16 years of research. As a new book its obviously still full price so my inner Scroooge wants to know if itís worth it? Has anyone read this book? Iíd be grateful for any opinions.
    Regards

    Herlock




    “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
    “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
    “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
    “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
    “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

  • #2
    I've read the new Borden book and I recommend it.
    I wish the end spent more time on Lizzie's life after the trial and the merits of various suspect theories, but as for a day-by-day account of the case, from murders to grand jury testimony to verdict, its hard to think that any other book could beat this one.

    JM

    Comment


    • #3
      This is another case that interests me. I think I might buy a copy.
      By God, sir, I`ve lost my leg.
      By God, sir, so you have.

      Uxbridge to Wellington.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        I've read the new Borden book and I recommend it.
        I wish the end spent more time on Lizzie's life after the trial and the merits of various suspect theories, but as for a day-by-day account of the case, from murders to grand jury testimony to verdict, its hard to think that any other book could beat this one.

        JM
        Thanks for that Jonathan
        Regards

        Herlock




        “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
        “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
        “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
        “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
        “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Herlock,
          In the immortal words of Tom Waits, "you must be reading my mail".
          I was just on the verge of posting the same point.

          There is no doubt that a section relating to book reviews would be a genuine improvement to the site.

          There are a few ways this could happen (always assuming that Admin agree).

          One way is that posters could comment and rate (out of 10, or up to 5 stars like Amazon) individual book titles.

          I would envisage that the section would be split into JTR books, Zodiac books, A6 books, H.H. Holmes books, Croydon poisoning mystery books etc, etc.

          Within the JTR section perhaps books could be split into sections covering the following:
          • General review of the case
          • Suspects in the case
          • Victims in the case
          • Etc
          Another way to do it is by asking specific board contributors to review specific books, while posters on the board could comment on the original review and make specific points re the review and the book in question.

          A clear danger is that people use the book reviews to regurgitate points and arguments already made on the general message boards.

          There are difficulties certainly, but I think it is an idea worth exploring.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello Barn,

            Yours is a good suggestion. I donít know how youíd start it? Perhaps you should put it to admin? Or you could just set it up maybe?
            Regards

            Herlock




            “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
            “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
            “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
            “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
            “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Cheers Herlock,
              Another thought has come to me, I would welcome your views on it.

              There are lots of excellent book reviews in "Ripperologist", would it be possible to use these to kick start this thing (always assuming that Admin are happy with it).
              In many cases the copyright of reviews in periodicals is owned by the publication itself, rather than the actual reviewer.

              If that is the case, Admin may be happy to put up past reviews of JTR books, and other classic true crime book reviews from the "Ripperoloogist" as a way to get the ball rolling.

              For example, I recently re-read Paul Begg's excellent review of J.J Hainsworths book "Jack the Ripper- Case Solved 1891" from "Ripperologist" 147, and on the basis of the review I purchased the book.

              If Admin ran with this idea, Paul's review would be reproduced in the "Book Review" section, and I would gladly chip in with my thoughts of the book, when I finish it.
              (All this of course hinges on the copyright issue, and whoever owned the copyright (Paul or the "Ripperologist").

              From this starting point, Admin, or someone delegated by them, could gradually put past reviews on to the boards.
              The hope is that posters on the boards would put in their tuppence worth , commenting and critiquing on the review and the book.

              What do you, and everyone else, think about this approach?

              All comments and criticisms are welcome.

              By the way, how would I contact Admin re this? (assuming that pople think it is an idea worth running with)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                Cheers Herlock,
                Another thought has come to me, I would welcome your views on it.

                There are lots of excellent book reviews in "Ripperologist", would it be possible to use these to kick start this thing (always assuming that Admin are happy with it).
                In many cases the copyright of reviews in periodicals is owned by the publication itself, rather than the actual reviewer.

                If that is the case, Admin may be happy to put up past reviews of JTR books, and other classic true crime book reviews from the "Ripperoloogist" as a way to get the ball rolling.

                For example, I recently re-read Paul Begg's excellent review of J.J Hainsworths book "Jack the Ripper- Case Solved 1891" from "Ripperologist" 147, and on the basis of the review I purchased the book.

                If Admin ran with this idea, Paul's review would be reproduced in the "Book Review" section, and I would gladly chip in with my thoughts of the book, when I finish it.
                (All this of course hinges on the copyright issue, and whoever owned the copyright (Paul or the "Ripperologist").

                From this starting point, Admin, or someone delegated by them, could gradually put past reviews on to the boards.
                The hope is that posters on the boards would put in their tuppence worth , commenting and critiquing on the review and the book.

                What do you, and everyone else, think about this approach?

                All comments and criticisms are welcome.

                By the way, how would I contact Admin re this? (assuming that pople think it is an idea worth running with)
                I think itís an excellent idea Barn but Iím unsure how to contact admin but if you ask the question on the FAQ thread Iím sure that someone will be able to tell yo.
                Regards

                Herlock




                “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok I’ll try and re-ignite this thread.

                  Like everyone on here I’m a regular book buyer so I’m always making notes of books to look into but it’s always good to get recommendations/reviews before shelling out. We’ve no doubt all bought books then cursed the hand that opened the wallet.

                  So for me it’s mainly historical true crime, history and biographies.

                  Any suggestions/reviews/opinions?
                  Regards

                  Herlock




                  “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                  “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                  “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                  “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                  “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    Ok I’ll try and re-ignite this thread.

                    Like everyone on here I’m a regular book buyer so I’m always making notes of books to look into but it’s always good to get recommendations/reviews before shelling out. We’ve no doubt all bought books then cursed the hand that opened the wallet.

                    So for me it’s mainly historical true crime, history and biographies.

                    Any suggestions/reviews/opinions?
                    Well that narrows it down...
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I recently posted about Simon Farquharson's "A Dangerous Place" about the Railway Rapists. That gets my vote.
                      Thems the Vagaries.....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                        I recently posted about Simon Farquharson's "A Dangerous Place" about the Railway Rapists. That gets my vote.
                        That ones on my list Al.
                        Regards

                        Herlock




                        “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                        “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                        “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                        “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                        “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just finished The Case That Foiled Fabian about the unsolved murder of Charles Walton. I enjoyed the book but if your looking for a book with a few suspects or theories to mull over this one isn’t it. Fabian had one suspect but couldn’t make a case against him. Apparently in later life he was certain of his guilt but I’m not convinced. Stories of witchcraft followed of course but, like the Bella case, based on false misinformation.

                          For this book I’d say wait a while until you can pick up a cheaper copy.
                          Regards

                          Herlock




                          “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                          “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                          “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                          “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                          “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            Just finished The Case That Foiled Fabian about the unsolved murder of Charles Walton. I enjoyed the book but if your looking for a book with a few suspects or theories to mull over this one isn’t it. Fabian had one suspect but couldn’t make a case against him. Apparently in later life he was certain of his guilt but I’m not convinced. Stories of witchcraft followed of course but, like the Bella case, based on false misinformation.

                            For this book I’d say wait a while until you can pick up a cheaper copy.
                            I just noticed “false misinformation?” As opposed to ‘true misinformation?’

                            Typo
                            Regards

                            Herlock




                            “ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
                            “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
                            “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
                            “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
                            “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              LobsterBoy-a sordid tale of murder, mystery and mayhem amongst circus sideshow freaks.
                              Last edited by Abby Normal; 11-05-2020, 03:40 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X