Book Reviews and Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Reviews and Information

I don’t know if there’s another thread with the same purpose and so my apologies if there is.

I often waiver before shelling out my hard-earned on a book so I thought it might be an idea that we could ask for opinions and reviews on books from Forum members (or even recommendations for books on certain subjects.)

I know very little about the Borden Case. I think that I read three books over a short space of time around 20 years ago and that was that. There is a new book out however called The Trial Of Lizzie Borden by Cara Robertson which claims to be the result of 16 years of research. As a new book its obviously still full price so my inner Scroooge wants to know if it’s worth it? Has anyone read this book? I’d be grateful for any opinions.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

I've read the new Borden book and I recommend it.
    I wish the end spent more time on Lizzie's life after the trial and the merits of various suspect theories, but as for a day-by-day account of the case, from murders to grand jury testimony to verdict, its hard to think that any other book could beat this one.

JM

Comment

This is another case that interests me. I think I might buy a copy.
      By God, sir, I`ve lost my leg.
      By God, sir, so you have.

Uxbridge to Wellington.

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        I've read the new Borden book and I recommend it.
        I wish the end spent more time on Lizzie's life after the trial and the merits of various suspect theories, but as for a day-by-day account of the case, from murders to grand jury testimony to verdict, its hard to think that any other book could beat this one.

JM
        Thanks for that Jonathan
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Herlock,
          In the immortal words of Tom Waits, "you must be reading my mail".
          I was just on the verge of posting the same point.

There is no doubt that a section relating to book reviews would be a genuine improvement to the site.

There are a few ways this could happen (always assuming that Admin agree).

One way is that posters could comment and rate (out of 10, or up to 5 stars like Amazon) individual book titles.

I would envisage that the section would be split into JTR books, Zodiac books, A6 books, H.H. Holmes books, Croydon poisoning mystery books etc, etc.

Within the JTR section perhaps books could be split into sections covering the following:
          • General review of the case
          • Suspects in the case
          • Victims in the case
          • Etc
          Another way to do it is by asking specific board contributors to review specific books, while posters on the board could comment on the original review and make specific points re the review and the book in question.

A clear danger is that people use the book reviews to regurgitate points and arguments already made on the general message boards.

There are difficulties certainly, but I think it is an idea worth exploring.

Comment

Hello Barn,

Yours is a good suggestion. I don’t know how you’d start it? Perhaps you should put it to admin? Or you could just set it up maybe?
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Cheers Herlock,
              Another thought has come to me, I would welcome your views on it.

There are lots of excellent book reviews in "Ripperologist", would it be possible to use these to kick start this thing (always assuming that Admin are happy with it).
              In many cases the copyright of reviews in periodicals is owned by the publication itself, rather than the actual reviewer.

If that is the case, Admin may be happy to put up past reviews of JTR books, and other classic true crime book reviews from the "Ripperoloogist" as a way to get the ball rolling.

For example, I recently re-read Paul Begg's excellent review of J.J Hainsworths book "Jack the Ripper- Case Solved 1891" from "Ripperologist" 147, and on the basis of the review I purchased the book.

If Admin ran with this idea, Paul's review would be reproduced in the "Book Review" section, and I would gladly chip in with my thoughts of the book, when I finish it.
              (All this of course hinges on the copyright issue, and whoever owned the copyright (Paul or the "Ripperologist").

From this starting point, Admin, or someone delegated by them, could gradually put past reviews on to the boards.
              The hope is that posters on the boards would put in their tuppence worth , commenting and critiquing on the review and the book.

What do you, and everyone else, think about this approach?

All comments and criticisms are welcome.

By the way, how would I contact Admin re this? (assuming that pople think it is an idea worth running with)

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                Cheers Herlock,
                Another thought has come to me, I would welcome your views on it.

There are lots of excellent book reviews in "Ripperologist", would it be possible to use these to kick start this thing (always assuming that Admin are happy with it).
                In many cases the copyright of reviews in periodicals is owned by the publication itself, rather than the actual reviewer.

If that is the case, Admin may be happy to put up past reviews of JTR books, and other classic true crime book reviews from the "Ripperoloogist" as a way to get the ball rolling.

For example, I recently re-read Paul Begg's excellent review of J.J Hainsworths book "Jack the Ripper- Case Solved 1891" from "Ripperologist" 147, and on the basis of the review I purchased the book.

If Admin ran with this idea, Paul's review would be reproduced in the "Book Review" section, and I would gladly chip in with my thoughts of the book, when I finish it.
                (All this of course hinges on the copyright issue, and whoever owned the copyright (Paul or the "Ripperologist").

From this starting point, Admin, or someone delegated by them, could gradually put past reviews on to the boards.
                The hope is that posters on the boards would put in their tuppence worth , commenting and critiquing on the review and the book.

What do you, and everyone else, think about this approach?

All comments and criticisms are welcome.

By the way, how would I contact Admin re this? (assuming that pople think it is an idea worth running with)
                I think it’s an excellent idea Barn but I’m unsure how to contact admin but if you ask the question on the FAQ thread I’m sure that someone will be able to tell yo.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Ok I’ll try and re-ignite this thread.

Like everyone on here I’m a regular book buyer so I’m always making notes of books to look into but it’s always good to get recommendations/reviews before shelling out. We’ve no doubt all bought books then cursed the hand that opened the wallet.

So for me it’s mainly historical true crime, history and biographies.

Any suggestions/reviews/opinions?
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                    Ok I’ll try and re-ignite this thread.

Like everyone on here I’m a regular book buyer so I’m always making notes of books to look into but it’s always good to get recommendations/reviews before shelling out. We’ve no doubt all bought books then cursed the hand that opened the wallet.

So for me it’s mainly historical true crime, history and biographies.

Any suggestions/reviews/opinions?
                    Well that narrows it down...
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

I recently posted about Simon Farquharson's "A Dangerous Place" about the Railway Rapists. That gets my vote.
                      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                        I recently posted about Simon Farquharson's "A Dangerous Place" about the Railway Rapists. That gets my vote.
                        That ones on my list Al.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Just finished The Case That Foiled Fabian about the unsolved murder of Charles Walton. I enjoyed the book but if your looking for a book with a few suspects or theories to mull over this one isn’t it. Fabian had one suspect but couldn’t make a case against him. Apparently in later life he was certain of his guilt but I’m not convinced. Stories of witchcraft followed of course but, like the Bella case, based on false misinformation.

For this book I’d say wait a while until you can pick up a cheaper copy.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            Just finished The Case That Foiled Fabian about the unsolved murder of Charles Walton. I enjoyed the book but if your looking for a book with a few suspects or theories to mull over this one isn’t it. Fabian had one suspect but couldn’t make a case against him. Apparently in later life he was certain of his guilt but I’m not convinced. Stories of witchcraft followed of course but, like the Bella case, based on false misinformation.

For this book I’d say wait a while until you can pick up a cheaper copy.
                            I just noticed “false misinformation?” As opposed to ‘true misinformation?’

Typo
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

LobsterBoy-a sordid tale of murder, mystery and mayhem amongst circus sideshow freaks.
                              Last edited by Abby Normal; 11-05-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X