Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I've got the Otto Penzler book on Sherlock Holmes but does anyone have his Ripper book? What's in it and is it worth getting?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by DJA View Post

Worth a visit to Internet Archive.

Israel Regardie was his secretary 1928/9.One of his books is an interesting insight.
    Cheers Dave

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Aleister Crowley
    Worth a visit to Internet Archive.

Israel Regardie was his secretary 1928/9.One of his books is an interesting insight.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
    Hi Herlock,
    Here are a few suggestions for you.

Robert A. Caro has written 4 wonderful volumes on the Life of Lyndon B. Johnson, they are huge tomes, averaging about 900 pages each.
    I am just finishing off volume 4 which covers Kennedy's surprise choice of Johnson as his running mate and LBJ's ascent to the presidency after Dallas.

They are all wonderful books, but if you are looking to dip your toe in the water, I suggest that you jump into volume 4 and enjoy the ride.
    It is a masterclass of superb biographical writing......................go on, take the leap you won't regret it.

Caro is 85 years old and is finishing off the final volume which covers Johnson's war in Vietnam and his Civil Rights Act, it'll be a doozy!

Another highly recommended book is The Lodger by Charles Nicholl which covers Shakespeare's time living in Silver Street London when he was called as a witness in a breach of promise lawsuit.
    His time in Silver Street is one of the very rare occasions when we know exactly where Shakespeare actually was.
    It's a masterclass of biographical writing.

2 masterclasses for the price of one.

Enjoy!
    Cheers Barn,

Ive recently watched Ken Burns brilliant 6 part documentary on the Roosevelt’s. I know very little about American politics but have been tempted to go for an FDR biography and possibly one on Theodore. When I was looking into biographies I came across reviews of the Caro books. All pretty much called them benchmarks for political biographies.

Ive just ordered biographies of Barbara Castle and Aleister Crowley and I’m still waiting for my book on The Shark Arm Case which I think is coming from the Outer Hebrides by steam roller!

On a lighter note a few weeks ago I bought the complete Rumpole Of The Bailey stories. Brilliant stuff

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    LobsterBoy-a sordid tale of murder, mystery and mayhem amongst circus sideshow freaks.
    Cheers Abby, I like the sound of that one.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Hi Herlock,
    Here are a few suggestions for you.

Robert A. Caro has written 4 wonderful volumes on the Life of Lyndon B. Johnson, they are huge tomes, averaging about 900 pages each.
    I am just finishing off volume 4 which covers Kennedy's surprise choice of Johnson as his running mate and LBJ's ascent to the presidency after Dallas.

They are all wonderful books, but if you are looking to dip your toe in the water, I suggest that you jump into volume 4 and enjoy the ride.
    It is a masterclass of superb biographical writing......................go on, take the leap you won't regret it.

Caro is 85 years old and is finishing off the final volume which covers Johnson's war in Vietnam and his Civil Rights Act, it'll be a doozy!

Another highly recommended book is The Lodger by Charles Nicholl which covers Shakespeare's time living in Silver Street London when he was called as a witness in a breach of promise lawsuit.
    His time in Silver Street is one of the very rare occasions when we know exactly where Shakespeare actually was.
    It's a masterclass of biographical writing.

2 masterclasses for the price of one.

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    LobsterBoy-a sordid tale of murder, mystery and mayhem amongst circus sideshow freaks.
    Last edited by Abby Normal; 11-05-2020, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Just finished The Case That Foiled Fabian about the unsolved murder of Charles Walton. I enjoyed the book but if your looking for a book with a few suspects or theories to mull over this one isn’t it. Fabian had one suspect but couldn’t make a case against him. Apparently in later life he was certain of his guilt but I’m not convinced. Stories of witchcraft followed of course but, like the Bella case, based on false misinformation.

For this book I’d say wait a while until you can pick up a cheaper copy.
    I just noticed “false misinformation?” As opposed to ‘true misinformation?’

Typo

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Just finished The Case That Foiled Fabian about the unsolved murder of Charles Walton. I enjoyed the book but if your looking for a book with a few suspects or theories to mull over this one isn’t it. Fabian had one suspect but couldn’t make a case against him. Apparently in later life he was certain of his guilt but I’m not convinced. Stories of witchcraft followed of course but, like the Bella case, based on false misinformation.

For this book I’d say wait a while until you can pick up a cheaper copy.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
    I recently posted about Simon Farquharson's "A Dangerous Place" about the Railway Rapists. That gets my vote.
    That ones on my list Al.

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    I recently posted about Simon Farquharson's "A Dangerous Place" about the Railway Rapists. That gets my vote.

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Ok I’ll try and re-ignite this thread.

Like everyone on here I’m a regular book buyer so I’m always making notes of books to look into but it’s always good to get recommendations/reviews before shelling out. We’ve no doubt all bought books then cursed the hand that opened the wallet.

So for me it’s mainly historical true crime, history and biographies.

Any suggestions/reviews/opinions?
    Well that narrows it down...

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Ok I’ll try and re-ignite this thread.

Like everyone on here I’m a regular book buyer so I’m always making notes of books to look into but it’s always good to get recommendations/reviews before shelling out. We’ve no doubt all bought books then cursed the hand that opened the wallet.

So for me it’s mainly historical true crime, history and biographies.

Any suggestions/reviews/opinions?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
    Cheers Herlock,
    Another thought has come to me, I would welcome your views on it.

There are lots of excellent book reviews in "Ripperologist", would it be possible to use these to kick start this thing (always assuming that Admin are happy with it).
    In many cases the copyright of reviews in periodicals is owned by the publication itself, rather than the actual reviewer.

If that is the case, Admin may be happy to put up past reviews of JTR books, and other classic true crime book reviews from the "Ripperoloogist" as a way to get the ball rolling.

For example, I recently re-read Paul Begg's excellent review of J.J Hainsworths book "Jack the Ripper- Case Solved 1891" from "Ripperologist" 147, and on the basis of the review I purchased the book.

If Admin ran with this idea, Paul's review would be reproduced in the "Book Review" section, and I would gladly chip in with my thoughts of the book, when I finish it.
    (All this of course hinges on the copyright issue, and whoever owned the copyright (Paul or the "Ripperologist").

From this starting point, Admin, or someone delegated by them, could gradually put past reviews on to the boards.
    The hope is that posters on the boards would put in their tuppence worth , commenting and critiquing on the review and the book.

What do you, and everyone else, think about this approach?

All comments and criticisms are welcome.

By the way, how would I contact Admin re this? (assuming that pople think it is an idea worth running with)
    I think it’s an excellent idea Barn but I’m unsure how to contact admin but if you ask the question on the FAQ thread I’m sure that someone will be able to tell yo.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Cheers Herlock,
    Another thought has come to me, I would welcome your views on it.

There are lots of excellent book reviews in "Ripperologist", would it be possible to use these to kick start this thing (always assuming that Admin are happy with it).
    In many cases the copyright of reviews in periodicals is owned by the publication itself, rather than the actual reviewer.

If that is the case, Admin may be happy to put up past reviews of JTR books, and other classic true crime book reviews from the "Ripperoloogist" as a way to get the ball rolling.

For example, I recently re-read Paul Begg's excellent review of J.J Hainsworths book "Jack the Ripper- Case Solved 1891" from "Ripperologist" 147, and on the basis of the review I purchased the book.

If Admin ran with this idea, Paul's review would be reproduced in the "Book Review" section, and I would gladly chip in with my thoughts of the book, when I finish it.
    (All this of course hinges on the copyright issue, and whoever owned the copyright (Paul or the "Ripperologist").

From this starting point, Admin, or someone delegated by them, could gradually put past reviews on to the boards.
    The hope is that posters on the boards would put in their tuppence worth , commenting and critiquing on the review and the book.

What do you, and everyone else, think about this approach?

All comments and criticisms are welcome.

By the way, how would I contact Admin re this? (assuming that pople think it is an idea worth running with)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X