Naming Jack the Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
    It was a humouress remark by Beachcomber, a wit few have probably heard of, but much beloved by Spike Milligan. The answer was:

drop a bomb on it.

It's a little reminiscent of John Betjamin's "Slough""

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
    It isn't fit for humans now,
    Ah sorry. I have heard of Beachcomber (and who hasn't heard of Spike Milligan) but I am unfamiliar with any of his wok.

Rob

Comment

Actually the book display isn't for buying. The idea is that the customers make a big pile of them, and then they can reach "Lady Don't Fall Backwards."

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
        Ah sorry. I have heard of Beachcomber (and who hasn't heard of Spike Milligan) but I am unfamiliar with any of his wok.

Rob
        Or, indeed, his work. But "wok" is Beachcomberish. Milligan did a TV series called World of Beachcomber which I remember well and said the column during the war was partly the inspiration for The Goons. Pretty influential then.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
          Or, indeed, his work. But "wok" is Beachcomberish. Milligan did a TV series called World of Beachcomber which I remember well and said the column during the war was partly the inspiration for The Goons. Pretty influential then.
          Sorry, that was a genuine spelling mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
            I must buy yours when it come out I need a good laugh !

I hope the your lamp takes pride and place in it ?

It is rumored that you have been seen at the local cinema of a night time with it doing a bit of moonlighting showing people to their seats
            No, you NEED to buy mine.

As your knowledge on policing, and this case, is sadly lacking.

Besides, you'll be nicking bits out of it in no time.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Official

And who has bestowed the "Official" designation on his store? What will all the other Jack the Ripper Stores do now? Try and get a royal warrant?

Cheers

Sushka

Comment

Originally posted by sushka View Post
                Has anyone picked up a copy yet? I see from newspaper reports it is based on apparent DNA extracted from the alleged Eddowes' shawl. The suggestion is that by comparing to DNA from descendants, the shawl contains DNA traces of both Catherine Eddowes and the supposed murderer, Aaron Kosminski.

Is this the answer after all this time, or the diary all over again??

Sushka
                I'm sure this thread has gone off in a different direction but I bought the kindle version and am about half way through.

Basically if the Author is telling the truth this looks pretty conclusive, if this thing is a hoax it is still a pretty interesting read. Some things have been covered in detail, getting around DNA contamination, finding living relatives, the shawl actually belonged to Aaron and was traced back to Russia/Poland.

The findings really need to be peer reviewed and validated in the scientific community and if they are this finding will probably be as good as we are going to get to finding the real killer.
                Last edited by swanlee; 09-18-2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

G'day Swanlee

the shawl actually belonged to Aaron
                  And the proof of that is ????

Welcome to Casebook.

And the fact that there is no record anywhere that it was ever anywhere at Mitre Square?
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by sushka View Post
                    And who has bestowed the "Official" designation on his store? What will all the other Jack the Ripper Stores do now? Try and get a royal warrant?

Cheers

Sushka
                    I would imagine the descendants of Kosminski sold him rights to their great-great-great whatever's 'trade name'.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

OMG!!!!

He was inspired by Johnny Depp

Now it all makes sense.

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There are no other 'Jack the Ripper' shops or stores

Comment

Naming Jack The Ripper is now on sale in Tesco for £7.50 (as of 10/10.14)
                          JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                          JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                          ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                            Naming Jack The Ripper is now on sale in Tesco for £7.50 (as of 10/10.14)
                            Wow, so little.

Tesco makes a small markup and sources from the wholesaler, who takes 50 to 55% of the cover price. So a sale at £7.50 means less than £3 goes to the publisher.

Is the publisher even covering costs?

Helena
                            Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
                              Wow, so little.

Tesco makes a small markup and sources from the wholesaler, who takes 50 to 55% of the cover price. So a sale at £7.50 means less than £3 goes to the publisher.

Is the publisher even covering costs?

Helena
                              and some times only 7.5% of that goes to the author

Some publishers have an arrangement with these chain stores so they know that each book they publish the store will take lets say 5000 copies. But of course these are on sale or return.
                              Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 10-11-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

£7.50! I paid £2.38 for my Kindle version and feel like I've been fleeced.
                                After all this time we should have been looking for a killer prowling around Whitechapel with a shawl on covered with daisies.

It's actually quite a readable book, it's just that his facts are nothing of the sort. He seems to have been genuinely excited about the quest, unfortunately it's one of those cases when the heart has ruled the head.

Comment

Working...
                                X