No announcement yet.

Book recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree. A voice that was made to sing the Blues. They don't call her the Queen of the Blues for nothin'.

Hope you had four or five beers under your belt when you listened to it. That is a CD made for beer drinking. Come to think of it, that can be said of a lot of CDs.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      Agree. A voice that was made to sing the Blues. They don't call her the Queen of the Blues for nothin'.

Hope you had four or five beers under your belt when you listened to it. That is a CD made for beer drinking. Come to think of it, that can be said of a lot of CDs.

c.d.
      Alcohol was present c.d.

I’d say that she’s someone that’s not well known enough.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• I was thinking of getting that one a while ago c.d. but I ended up buying something else and forgot about it. I might give it a go after I hear what you say. I know that JM recommended it and he knows his stuff on the subject of Crippen.

Im reading a good one at the moment (even though I’m only 50 pages in) Its A Leap In The Dark by John Ferling about the American Revolution. I’ll have to grit my teeth when I get to the part where you American’s threw all of that tea into the river.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Wasn't us HS...it was them indians fault. Lol
          " Still it is an error to argue in front of your data. You find yourself insensibly twisting them round to fit your theories."
          Sherlock Holmes
          ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Duran duren View Post
            Wasn't us HS...it was them indians fault. Lol

Its not like we hold grudges DD…but tea is tea.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              I was thinking of getting that one a while ago c.d. but I ended up buying something else and forgot about it. I might give it a go after I hear what you say. I know that JM recommended it and he knows his stuff on the subject of Crippen.

Im reading a good one at the moment (even though I’m only 50 pages in) Its A Leap In The Dark by John Ferling about the American Revolution. I’ll have to grit my teeth when I get to the part where you American’s threw all of that tea into the river.
              Hi Herlock,

As you likely know, Ferling has written several books dealing with America's revolutionary period. I think that the one you're reading is a good one to start with because it covers a relatively long period of time, from the Seven Years War to the start of Jefferson's presidency. If you want to read another Ferling book after that one, you can choose it by what part or aspect of that period especially interests you. Ferling's overall writings especially focus on the war years, but not exclusively, and sometimes he's straight history, while other times he's more a biographer of historical figures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Hi Herlock,

As you likely know, Ferling has written several books dealing with America's revolutionary period. I think that the one you're reading is a good one to start with because it covers a relatively long period of time, from the Seven Years War to the start of Jefferson's presidency. If you want to read another Ferling book after that one, you can choose it by what part or aspect of that period especially interests you. Ferling's overall writings especially focus on the war years, but not exclusively, and sometimes he's straight history, while other times he's more a biographer of historical figures.
                Hi Lewis,

I chose this one because a while ago I mentioned in conversation with friends that I wanted a good general history of the American Revolution but I hadn’t made up my mind which one. Then a friend very kindly gave me a book that belonged to her late husband. It was Ferling’s Almost A Miracle. This was just after I’d ordered it from Amazon. The reason that I haven’t read that one is because on a closer reading of the reviews I saw that they all call it a military history and although I’m not averse to a bit of military history I’m not someone that has a specific interest in the details of that aspect of history. Formations, weaponry, strategy and tactics etc. Ferling’s A Leap In The Dark sounded more to my taste and was consistently well reviewed (with Ferling being a highly regarded historian of course) I’m certainly enjoying it even though I haven’t made much progress due to an unexpected visitor last night which meant that I had to assume ‘sociable mode.’
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Hello Herlock,

If you are interested in the American Revolutionary War you might want to look at this book from Jeff Shaara. I have not read it but super reviews on amazon. His Civil War novels are absolutely excellent. Just finished the one on the the Siege of Vicksburg and loved it. Hope this helps.

c.d.

Comment

• Hi c.d.

Thanks for that. I’ll add it to my list
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Hi Lewis,

I chose this one because a while ago I mentioned in conversation with friends that I wanted a good general history of the American Revolution but I hadn’t made up my mind which one. Then a friend very kindly gave me a book that belonged to her late husband. It was Ferling’s Almost A Miracle. This was just after I’d ordered it from Amazon. The reason that I haven’t read that one is because on a closer reading of the reviews I saw that they all call it a military history and although I’m not averse to a bit of military history I’m not someone that has a specific interest in the details of that aspect of history. Formations, weaponry, strategy and tactics etc. Ferling’s A Leap In The Dark sounded more to my taste and was consistently well reviewed (with Ferling being a highly regarded historian of course) I’m certainly enjoying it even though I haven’t made much progress due to an unexpected visitor last night which meant that I had to assume ‘sociable mode.’
                      I'm the same way with history. I'm not especially interested in details of military battles, but more interested in other parts of history. Three Ferling books that don't have a lot of military history are Adams vs. Jefferson: The Tumultuous Election of 1800​, Jefferson and Hamilton: The Rivalry That Forged A Nation​, and Apostles of Revolution: Jefferson, Paine, Monroe, and the Struggle Against the Old Order in America and Europe​. So if after your current book you want to read another Ferling book, you might want to try one of those.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

I'm the same way with history. I'm not especially interested in details of military battles, but more interested in other parts of history. Three Ferling books that don't have a lot of military history are Adams vs. Jefferson: The Tumultuous Election of 1800​, Jefferson and Hamilton: The Rivalry That Forged A Nation​, and Apostles of Revolution: Jefferson, Paine, Monroe, and the Struggle Against the Old Order in America and Europe​. So if after your current book you want to read another Ferling book, you might want to try one of those.
                        Thanks Lewis. I’ll definitely keep them in mind as future purchases.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Just finished Supper with the Crippens by David James Smith. It is the only Crippen book I have read so have nothing to compare it to but I enjoyed it. Very detailed (maybe a little too much at times) but it presented a thorough overview of the case.

As for Crippen's guilt, I am pretty much convinced, as was the author, as well as the jury which only needed 27 minutes to bring in a unanimous guilty verdict. I think the more interesting question is the extent of the involvement of his mistress Ethel Le Neve. Although she was found not guilty of being an accomplice I find it almost inconceivable that she did not harbor at least some suspicions regarding Crippen.

So all in all an interesting case and a good book. Definitely recommend if you have even a passing interest in the Crippen case.

c.d.

Comment

• Cheers c.d. I had a quick look at this thread earlier and wondered if you were near finishing the book. It’s on my ‘to get’ list.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Cheers c.d. I had a quick look at this thread earlier and wondered if you were near finishing the book. It’s on my ‘to get’ list.
                              I think you will like it, Herlock. Next up for me is The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                              X