Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
    Has anyone read this book?

I just stumbled across it, but I feel a little disinclined to read anything written by an author called Zero Baby if I'm honest!

Anyone familiar with it?
    I have it on Kindle but I haven’t read it yet. I bought it in a moment of boredom induced insanity. All I know is that it appears to theorise that JTR was a woman or a group of women. One of the later chapters is called Covert And Cult Like Lesbianism. I get the impression that the theory is in some way connected to women wanting to train in the medical profession. I might get around to reading it but I wouldn’t waste your hard earned on it Ms D. I’d say that spending the money on a pint would be money better spent. I’ll let you know when I’ve read it. I suspect that it’s complete tripe.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I have it on Kindle but I haven’t read it yet. I bought it in a moment of boredom induced insanity. All I know is that it appears to theorise that JTR was a woman or a group of women. One of the later chapters is called Covert And Cult Like Lesbianism. I get the impression that the theory is in some way connected to women wanting to train in the medical profession. I might get around to reading it but I wouldn’t waste your hard earned on it Ms D. I’d say that spending the money on a pint would be money better spent. I’ll let you know when I’ve read it. I suspect that it’s complete tripe.
      Thanks Herlock!

I will heed your advice.

Another hairbrained half-arsed theory then.

I'm almost tempted to scribe a book myself outlining the groundbreaking aardvark hypothesis, just to see if it would get printed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Thanks Herlock!

I will heed your advice.

Another hairbrained half-arsed theory then.

I'm almost tempted to scribe a book myself outlining the groundbreaking aardvark hypothesis, just to see if it would get printed.
        It’s still more likely than the theory that Cross was the killer though.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• I skim read the book that Ms D mentioned as I was on a coach going to London. On the positive side the author retells the basics fairly well but he makes more deductive leaps than a particularly hyperactive kangaroo. Anyway……spoiler alert….the ripper was a female doctor and feminist called Sophie Jex Blake aided by up to three other members of a coterie of man-hating lesbians.

That’s that solved then. Been nice knowing you all.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

That’s that solved then. Been nice knowing you all.
            Hiya Herlock, nil desperandum, don't pack it in just yet. Many of us thought the case was solved with your aardvark theory, but months later, here we are still.

A book suggestion on the Great Escape from Stalag Luft III. "A Gallant Company - The True Story of the Great Escape" by Jonathon F. Vance. This book gives biographies of all the POWs who passed through the tunnel, particularly the 50 who were murdered by the Gestapo.

Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigma View Post

Hiya Herlock, nil desperandum, don't pack it in just yet. Many of us thought the case was solved with your aardvark theory, but months later, here we are still.

A book suggestion on the Great Escape from Stalag Luft III. "A Gallant Company - The True Story of the Great Escape" by Jonathon F. Vance. This book gives biographies of all the POWs who passed through the tunnel, particularly the 50 who were murdered by the Gestapo.

Thanks for that one. It sounds an interesting read.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Just finished a good one (received as Christmas gift) Marshall Hall: A Law Unto Himself by Sally Smith. A brilliant, well written biography of The Great Defender. Marshall Hall is one of those people that I’d have loved to have seen in real life (like Samuel Johnson) especially speaking in court. Apparently a recording was made of his voice when he appeared in a Dickens radio play but it’s never been found and possibly no longer exists.

Ive just started The Irish Assassins: Conspiracy, Revenge and the Murders that Stunned an Empire by Julie Kavanagh. It’s about the Phoenix Park murders.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Just finished The Last Wild Men of Borneo by Carl Hoffman. Non-fiction/true outdoor adventure genre.

Focuses on the lives of two men. One is a sort of hippie/guru/Christ figure who travels to Borneo to live the pure unadulterated life. Taken in by a tribe he eventually leads a worldwide effort to end logging in Borneo. He eventually disappears. Murder by government authorities with so much to gain from logging? Accident? Suicide? The other goes deep, deep into the jungle at great personal risk and hardship to buy Dayak artifacts. Fascinating contrast of the two men. Also a very interesting expose of the worldwide buying and selling of cultural artifacts and how even the most famous and prestigious of galleries and museums just look the other way.

A really fascinating look at the disappearance of one of the last truly wild places on earth and what it represented to two men so totally different in their approach to it.
                  Really liked this one and definitely recommend.

c.d.

Comment

• There haven’t been many books dedicated to this case but it’s one that gets regular mentions; especially in books, documentaries, blogs and websites focusing on the supernatural. Even Donald McCormick got in on the act with Murder By Witchcraft. I’ve only read 3 books dedicated to the story prior to this one though. First I read 2 slim volumes by a teenager called Alex Merrill with help from his dad Pete which were both excellent and deservedly highly regarded. Then I read MJ Trow’s The Hagley Wood Murder: Nazi Spies and Witchcraft in Wartime Britain, which was a disappointment. I’ve considered a couple of others but the reviews haven’t been encouraging so I was looking forward to the release of The Hagley Wood Tree Murder: Reviewing the Case of Bella in the Wych Elm by Keith Swallow and Rachel Joy. I haven’t been disappointed. This is definitely the book that you want to buy on this case.

This is a well researched and very readable book that covers all aspects of the case. Part One is a detailed chronology of events. Part Two is a detailed analysis of the investigation and the theories and Part Three is the conclusion. The analysis is well done, detailed and sensible. They have clearly gone through all of the police files and everything else written on the case.

I’ve only read of two criticisms of the book. They don’t list their sources and there’s no index. One thing that I do like (and in books in general) is that there are numerous photographs running through the book in the relevant sections which I prefer to a central plate of photographs.

If you want a book on this case this is the one. It’s impossible to label it ‘the last word’ because no doubt there will be others written about he case, but anyone wishing to put out a well researched and well written rundown of the case with sensible conclusions now has a very high benchmark to reach.

Highly Recommended.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                    X