Book recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi c.d

When you mentioned their lack of water it reminds me of tv programmes that I’ve seen about Lifeboat rescue and mountain rescue. Some of the idiots that you see hiking in mountainous terrain in the most inappropriate gear imaginable. Plus people getting rescued in tiny boats miles out to sea who apparently have never heard of a thing called a tide. We know that kids have a lesser appreciation of danger but you wonder how some of these people have survived to the ages they’ve reached. It’s a good job I’m not a rescuer because I’m afraid they wouldn’t be left unaware of my opinion.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I just finished The Scourge Of Soho by Dick Kirby. I know that Paul Begg has reviewed at least one of Kirby’s books but I’m not sure which one?

This one is about a real character. Detective Sergeant Harry Challenor. He fought bravely in the War, joining the SAS, then the Police eventually becoming a Detective Sergeant. He was eventually removed from his position after being accused of planting a brick in the pocket of a protester. By that time Harry’s mental health was deteriorating. Always ‘eccentric’ he was eventually sectioned and spent years in an institution before dying in a care home.

One thing that you can’t argue with and that was that Challenor was utterly fearless in his approach to criminals, especially gangsters. He once marched the Kray’s from Soho back to the East End warning them that if he ever saw them on his patch again... Criminals genuinely feared Harry Challenor and with good reason. He bent the rules without a doubt but wasn’t in the pockets of gangsters like some at the time. A real character.

Recommended.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Loved this one. Highly recommend. "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea" by Gary Kinder. The ship sank in 1857 during a hurricane. At the time of sinking, the amount of gold carried on board was valued at approximately $2,000,000. Today, that would be equivalent to roughly $300,000,000.The book goes back and forth between the ship sinking and the passengers on board and the unbelievable efforts at recovery in the 1980s. I found it to be a page turner.

c.d.

Comment

Another one I highly recommend. An absolutely fascinating true story. "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beha.

c.d.

Comment

I'm just wondering if anyone here is familiar with "The Face on the Cutting Room Floor" by Cameron McCabe?

I've just finished it and my brain hurts!

Written in 1937, it's set in London but reads like American noir.

There's all manner of weird, meta, post-modernist stuff going on.

I can't really say much about it without giving away spoilers.

I quite enjoyed it, but one of the weirdest books I've read (and I've read some weird books in my time!).

Comment

I promised a final review of "Journal of the Dead" by Jason Kersten the story of the lost hikers and alleged mercy killing. It was good. Goes into the trial and its outcome and the evidence presented by both sides. Still can't decide if I buy the defendant's story but a fascinating one in the end. Outdoor adventure meets true crime. Definitely recommend.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                Hi c.d

When you mentioned their lack of water it reminds me of tv programmes that I’ve seen about Lifeboat rescue and mountain rescue. Some of the idiots that you see hiking in mountainous terrain in the most inappropriate gear imaginable. Plus people getting rescued in tiny boats miles out to sea who apparently have never heard of a thing called a tide. We know that kids have a lesser appreciation of danger but you wonder how some of these people have survived to the ages they’ve reached. It’s a good job I’m not a rescuer because I’m afraid they wouldn’t be left unaware of my opinion.
                I am reminded of the time I was in the Grand Canyon. The trails have signs reading this is an extremely rough and rugged trail. Be sure to have good boots and water. Yet I constantly saw people coming back up the trail (mostly out of breath) wearing sneakers or flip flops and no water. Go figure. Human nature.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

I am reminded of the time I was in the Grand Canyon. The trails have signs reading this is an extremely rough and rugged trail. Be sure to have good boots and water. Yet I constantly saw people coming back up the trail (mostly out of breath) wearing sneakers or flip flops and no water. Go figure. Human nature.

c.d.
                  i could write a book on my experience hiking the GC trail. quite the adventure/ struggle lol
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I walked a trail in my local park a while ago. Now that was real danger. Leaves falling, puddles of water, vicious squirrels, plants with slightly prickly leaves, mild rainfall. You Americans have it easy.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I walked a trail in my local park a while ago. Now that was real danger. Leaves falling, puddles of water, vicious squirrels, plants with slightly prickly leaves, mild rainfall. You Americans have it easy.
                      Oh yeah? Talkin' trash about us Yanks. Well check this story out -- Man Hit by 16-Pound Pine Cone in San Francisco Park.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...es-6567225.php

And that is just in a LOCAL park!

c.d.
                      Last edited by c.d.; 01-11-2022, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Oh yeah? Talkin' trash about us Yanks. Well check this story out -- Man Hit by 16-Pound Pine Cone in San Francisco Park.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...es-6567225.php

And that is just in a LOCAL park!

c.d.
                        Even your trees are dangerous!
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Even your trees are dangerous!
                          when I did the CG hike from hell I ran into a man begging for help. He had tried to cut through the switchbacks and apparently stumbled into some grove of killer thorn trees. his entire body was cut to shreds and he was bleeding profusely.

oh Ive come up with a title for my book of that fun experience:

Twenty hours of Hell: Hiking the Grand Canyon LOL!!

I started at 8 in the morning and didnt crawl out of that god forsaken hole until 4am the following morning : (

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

when I did the CG hike from hell I ran into a man begging for help. He had tried to cut through the switchbacks and apparently stumbled into some grove of killer thorn trees. his entire body was cut to shreds and he was bleeding profusely.

I started at 8 in the morning and didnt crawl out of that god forsaken hole until 4am the following morning : (
                            Sounds like real experience Abby. You lived to tell the tale though. I’m too much of a pessimist to visit the States because every time I’d see a cluster of trees I’d be expecting a huge bear to appear. Over here you might see a fox or a badger and that’s as dangerous as it gets. I don’t believe in Bigfoot but knowing my luck…..
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Then I think you would appreciate and enjoy this book. I did. Very much. An outdoor classic.

The story of the first trip afoot through the Grand Canyon. I was a big fan of Colin Fletcher. Got me into backpacking. Sadly he has passed away.

c.d.

Comment

Sounds like real experience Abby. You lived to tell the tale though. I’m too much of a pessimist to visit the States because every time I’d see a cluster of trees I’d be expecting a huge bear to appear. Over here you might see a fox or a badger and that’s as dangerous as it gets. I don’t believe in Bigfoot but knowing my luck…..
                                i dont know herlock, I hear those Stoats can be pretty vicious ha!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                                X