• Show
Clear All

• Bridewell
    replied
    "Penguins Stopped Play" by Harry Thompson

Leave a comment:

• Bridewell
    replied
    Also the follow-up. "As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning" by the same author.

Leave a comment:

• Bridewell
    replied
    "Cider With Rosie" by Laurie Lee. It's been around for decades but is one of the best books in the English language in the 20th century IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    To call this book a cracker would be an understatement. I really think that it’s destined to be considered a true crime classic. I bought it after reading a review from Jon Menges in Ripperologist #158 where he described the book as:”, a page-turner and probably the best true crime book I’ve read this year”.(2017)

Its called The Man From The Train by Bill James and his daughter Rachel McCarthy James.

I couldn’t agree more. Basically it’s the story of a monster. It’s written in a very down to earth, common sense way with a bit of humour here and there to lighten the load - and this is a dark story. It’s a story of a man who very possible could have killed 100+ people. James is very fair when looking at the various cases though; avoiding the leaps of faith that some writers can resort to. These are all cases where families are killed and he weighs up the ones that he’s certain about, the ones that he’s reasonably certain about and right down to one’s that he feels have an outside chance of being by the same man. I can’t fault his assessments because of the clear similarities in these crimes. 100 victims isn’t unreasonable imo but I wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t more. He even finishes with a ‘possible’ in Germany (I won’t name the killer but he was possibly/probably German, and might have returned there)

Anyway, in short…….buy this book.

If you don’t like it Mr. Menges we refund the price.
    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 03-08-2023, 11:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I’ve just finished reading A Desperate Business by Simon Farquhar - the story of the kidnapping and murder (although the body was never found) of Muriel McKay by Arthur and Nizamodeen Hosein. This is an excellent presentation of the case which keeps you interested from beginning to end. The Hosein brothers weren’t the brightest of criminals but they were utterly impervious to the suffering of the family involved (and the victim who one of the brothers later claimed died of a heart attack when she was undoubtedly murdered) Arthur died in a secure unit in but Nizamodeen was released after 20 years and then deported back to Trinidad where he married and still lives as far as I’m aware. Well worth a read.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    There are quite a few books on the Unabomber case. Can anyone recommend the best or better ones?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post

The one on Prohibition in America was also very good.

c.d.
    I missed that one last time around (forgot to record it). Waiting for the repeat showing.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’ve seen a few Ken Burns documentaries c.d. and every one has been brilliant especially the ones on The Civil War, Franklin and Roosevelt. The last series I watched was on Country Music and over Christmas the series on Jazz is being shown over here which I haven’t seen yet. Good stuff.
    The one on Prohibition in America was also very good.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Johnson was one of the greats and an absolute character. You are right that the Ken Burns documentary was really good.

c.d.
    I’ve seen a few Ken Burns documentaries c.d. and every one has been brilliant especially the ones on The Civil War, Franklin and Roosevelt. The last series I watched was on Country Music and over Christmas the series on Jazz is being shown over here which I haven’t seen yet. Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Johnson was one of the greats and an absolute character. You are right that the Ken Burns documentary was really good.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied

It is Barn. Johnson claimed to the end that he threw the fight. Its a possibility but I don’t think we’ll ever know the truth. Johnson was winning for most of the fight but in that heat he began to tire. He was well known for not always training thoroughly when he was fighting someone that he expected to beat ( Johnson always expected to win) and I don’t think that there’s much doubt that a prime Johnson would have had little trouble beating Willard. But a guy around 35, poorly trained, known for partying and drinking to excess, fighting a much younger guy, not a good boxer but big and strong, Im unsure. He could have thrown it, he needed the cash, but it’s probably more likely that he just ran out of steam. Just before the end he asked a fried to take his wife out of the stadium. Did he expect trouble or did he just not want her to seem him on the canvas?

He was an inspiration to Ali. Before some fights Bundini Brown would shout “ghost in the house” meaning that the ghost of Jack Johnson was present. I’ve also got a book on John L. Sullivan on order. I like a bit of heavyweight boxing history.
    Interesting stuff Herlock, thanks for this.

The best boxing book I have ever read, and I've read a few, is "King of the World" by Pulitzer winning author David Remnick.
    It is a book that deals with certain aspects of Ali's career, but it covers so much more, it's a riveting read.

Here's the link.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I'll check it out Herlock. One of the most iconic images of any boxing match, is the one that apparently shows Johnson shielding his eyes from the sun, while on the canvas during his fight with Jess Willard ( I think).
    That particular argument still rumbles on to this day .
    It is Barn. Johnson claimed to the end that he threw the fight. Its a possibility but I don’t think we’ll ever know the truth. Johnson was winning for most of the fight but in that heat he began to tire. He was well known for not always training thoroughly when he was fighting someone that he expected to beat ( Johnson always expected to win) and I don’t think that there’s much doubt that a prime Johnson would have had little trouble beating Willard. But a guy around 35, poorly trained, known for partying and drinking to excess, fighting a much younger guy, not a good boxer but big and strong, Im unsure. He could have thrown it, he needed the cash, but it’s probably more likely that he just ran out of steam. Just before the end he asked a fried to take his wife out of the stadium. Did he expect trouble or did he just not want her to seem him on the canvas?

He was an inspiration to Ali. Before some fights Bundini Brown would shout “ghost in the house” meaning that the ghost of Jack Johnson was present. I’ve also got a book on John L. Sullivan on order. I like a bit of heavyweight boxing history.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Just finished an absolute classic. Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise And Fall of Jack Johnson. You won’t find a better biography than this one, especially if you like boxing history. Jack Johnson had a remarkable life. The Ken Burns documentary of the same name is also brilliant (as are all of his documentaries)
    I'll check it out Herlock. One of the most iconic images of any boxing match, is the one that apparently shows Johnson shielding his eyes from the sun, while on the canvas during his fight with Jess Willard ( I think).
    That particular argument still rumbles on to this day .

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Just finished an absolute classic. Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise And Fall of Jack Johnson. You won’t find a better biography than this one, especially if you like boxing history. Jack Johnson had a remarkable life. The Ken Burns documentary of the same name is also brilliant (as are all of his documentaries)

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I’d seen those two books and Time Team was one of my favourite programmes but I never knew it was that Francis.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X