• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBinOz
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hi George,

Have I added some incorrect info somewhere on here George? My birthday is actually in December (although I will be 57)

I don’t mind being younger but adding 8 months isn’t on.
    In an old post you announced your 55th. American dates. Oh well, very early birthday greetings then.

Cheers, George

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Hello Ms D,

Its not the first time that this has happened but I was about to post saying that I had this book. I was so convinced that I was picturing it on my shelves next to the Major Arthur Griffiths books for some reason, but it turns out that I don’t have it so it’s another added to my list of books to get so if you want to start a whip round I won’t complain. I notice that she’s also written a book called Prostitution and Victorian Society: Women, Class and the State.
    Ha!

We could start a Just Giving page, although I'm not sure how sympathetic to our cause people would be!

I suspect funding Ripperologist's literary addictions would be pretty low down on people's priority list!

The Walkowitz books are indeed quite dear, but I'd say it's money well spent.

Reading it threw up some aspects of the case which I had not previously considered, and I was relatively uninformed regarding WT Stead's "The Maiden Tribute to Modern Babylon" and it's ramifications prior to reading.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
    I'm sure many of you will have read this already, but I have recently finished Judith Walkowitz's City of Dreadful Delight (as recommended by Dr Strange on another thread).

I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend.

It looks at the social context of the Whitechapel murders from a feminist perspective, in terms of the media and social movements of the time, and concludes with an epilogue examining reactions to the Yorkshire Ripper case, with an analysis of how things have changed in the intervening century.

It's quite a scholarly book, but very accessible and engaging.

I thought it was very well researched and presented.

Hello Ms D,

Its not the first time that this has happened but I was about to post saying that I had this book. I was so convinced that I was picturing it on my shelves next to the Major Arthur Griffiths books for some reason, but it turns out that I don’t have it so it’s another added to my list of books to get so if you want to start a whip round I won’t complain. I notice that she’s also written a book called Prostitution and Victorian Society: Women, Class and the State.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

the one by preston amd spezi
    Thanks Abby!

I'll have a look for it now.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    I'm sure many of you will have read this already, but I have recently finished Judith Walkowitz's City of Dreadful Delight (as recommended by Dr Strange on another thread).

I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend.

It looks at the social context of the Whitechapel murders from a feminist perspective, in terms of the media and social movements of the time, and concludes with an epilogue examining reactions to the Yorkshire Ripper case, with an analysis of how things have changed in the intervening century.

It's quite a scholarly book, but very accessible and engaging.

I thought it was very well researched and presented.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi Abby / Herlock!

I looked on Amazon and can see a couple of different books about the Monster of Florence.

Please can you clarify which one it is that you're recommending, and I'll look at ordering a copy.

Many thanks!
    the one by preston amd spezi

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied
    hi herlock
    love this thread!

im an avid reader and my library has over five hundred books. im reading anywhere from 3-5 books at any one time and if its good ill read a book in one to three sittings over the course of a couple days. all genres but i lean towards non fiction as i get older.

since this is a true crime site i will recommend one of the best and craziest unsolved serial murder mysteries of all time:

The Monster of Florence

its got so many twists and turns even the author was arrested at one point!

some other greats:

Helter Skelter
    Zodiac
    Ill be gone in the Dark (the golden state killer)
    Mindhunter
    Lost Girls (LISK)
    Lobster Boy

The Amityville Horror is one of the greatest page turners ive ever read. did it one sitting in sixth grade literally under the covers with the flashlight.

not recommended:
    cornholes sickert book what a load of garbage. i tossed in tje circular file half way through the third chapter.
    Devil in the white city. Boooooooooring
    Hi Abby / Herlock!

I looked on Amazon and can see a couple of different books about the Monster of Florence.

Please can you clarify which one it is that you're recommending, and I'll look at ordering a copy.

Many thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by GBinOz View Post
    Hi Herlock,

Belated birthday greetings for your 57th yesterday. I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but it's all downhill from here mate. Enjoy it while you can.

Cheers, George
    Hi George,

Have I added some incorrect info somewhere on here George? My birthday is actually in December (although I will be 57)

I don’t mind being younger but adding 8 months isn’t on.

Leave a comment:

• GBinOz
    replied
    Hi Herlock,

Belated birthday greetings for your 57th yesterday. I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but it's all downhill from here mate. Enjoy it while you can.

Cheers, George

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    hi herlock
    love this thread!

im an avid reader and my library has over five hundred books. im reading anywhere from 3-5 books at any one time and if its good ill read a book in one to three sittings over the course of a couple days. all genres but i lean towards non fiction as i get older.

since this is a true crime site i will recommend one of the best and craziest unsolved serial murder mysteries of all time:

The Monster of Florence

some other greats:

Helter Skelter
    Zodiac
    Mindhunter
    Lost Girls (LISK)
    Lobster Boy

The Amityville Horror is one of the greatest page turners ive ever read. did it one sitting in sixth grade literally under the covers with the flashlight.

not recommended:
    cornholes sickert book what a load of garbage. i tossed in tje circular file half way through the third chapter.
    Hi Abby,

I think it’s good hearing about books that might not have been picked up on everyone’s radar. I always look through the bibliography of every book that I read and have bought quite a few gems that way and the odd dud of course but there’s always a risk in buying a book of course. I’ve read 4 of the ones in your list although I might have to look into the intriguingly titled Lobster Boy. I bought The Moster of Florence on your recommendation and it’s a classic. I’ll Be Gone In The Dark too ( Isn’t there another book out on the case by Paul Haynes? I thought that I’d read it somewhere but I can’t find it.)

The Adam Selzer book on HH Holmes is another cracker imo. It was recommended to me on her by someone (it might have been Wolf Vanderlinden but my apologies if it was someone else)

I can recommend The East Rover Ripper by George Dekle on the Old Shakespeare case but I know that you were put off by his errors in his overview of the ripper murders. As the ripper murders weren’t connected I just think that he assumed that all versions would tie up when he was writing a short overview - he should have checked of course but this small part doesn’t reflect on the rest of the book imo. It’s a far more interesting case than I’d believed.

Its not always easy to find new books online because I type in things like ‘historical true crime’ and find a lists of modern crime books or books on gangs or drugs. I do tend to prefer historical crime books (Victorian/Edwardian eras)

I’m guessing that I currently have around 1000 books but sadly I’ve had to get rid of around the same amount over the last 5 years due to a lack of space. I hate letting books go but I’m just too restricted on storage. At the last count I have around 315 on the ripper case (plus magazines, facsimiles, old Ripperologist and Ripperanas too) So that’s one and half smallish bookcases taken up.

I don’t know if there are any Ripper books in the pipeline though? I used to buy everything that came out but not these days. Too many rehashes or barking mad self published stuff. The new A-Z will be a must have as is John Malcolm’s annotated version of Anderson’s book. Martyn Priestnall is also working on one. I’m also considering getting Morley’s two suspect books. I even considered having a look at Pierre’s book but it’s no longer available.

I hope everyone keeps the suggestions/reviews coming.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    hi herlock
    love this thread!

The Monster of Florence

some other greats:

Helter Skelter
    Zodiac
    Mindhunter
    Lost Girls (LISK)
    Lobster Boy

not recommended:

Last edited by Abby Normal; 03-13-2022, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    I just finished Suspect No 1: The Man Who Got Away by Lise Pearlman.

First of all I have to say that before reading this book I didn’t know much more than generalities about the Lindbergh Kidnapping case. I mentioned in an earlier post that I’d read one on book on the case many years ago but I couldn’t recall which one. The bibliography reminded me though that it was the Ludovic Kennedy book.

There are even 2 Lindbergh case forums which was a surprise to me, so there are many knowledgeable people who may not have such a high opinion of this book. This is a cracker in my opinion. Even just as an overview of the kidnapping, investigation and trial this book is worth having. The author is a retired judge who’s done a lot of research on this. I won’t give away her ‘verdict’ or who Suspect No1 is but but for what it’s worth I think she’s come up with a plausible version of what happened. From previous reading I recalled thinking that Hauptmann might have been innocent and this book has strengthened that belief. There’s no way on earth that he got a remotely fair trial. This was little more than a judicial lynching. To be honest I didn’t realise that there were so many books on this case.

Recommended.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Just ordered "The Stranger in the Woods:The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit." A true story and over 3,600 reviews on Amazon. Should be a very different type of read.

https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Wood...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

c.d.
    That’s a strange story. Should be an interesting book.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Just ordered "The Stranger in the Woods:The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit." A true story and over 3,600 reviews on Amazon. Should be a very different type of read.

https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Wood...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

c.d.
    Last edited by c.d.; 03-12-2022, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by RManny View Post

I just ordered this book on the strength of your recommendations and the quality of reviews.

Looking forward to it!

Richard
    I hope you like it Richard. I’m certainly glad that I got it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X