Reviews Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I was even thinking of cheating and trying Google Earth. It’s starts with a path with you can’t go down on GE though.
    Herlock, no! Don't get technology involved, it's not fair on technologies part!

Get a well used 1980's Landranger and get lost using that. Blame the out of date mapping or something, or a pylon affecting a compass. Leave these modern internet maps out of it. They've done you no harm, do them none.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Get a well used 1980's Landranger and get lost using that. Blame the out of date mapping or something, or a pylon affecting a compass. Leave these modern internet maps out of it. They've done you no harm, do them none.
      Hahahaha! Wise words, Al!

Step away from the technology, Herlock!!!

No good will come of it.

I'm sure one of the nice London-based posters would leave you a trail of pebbles to follow if you asked them....!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I was even thinking of cheating and trying Google Earth. It’s starts with a path with you can’t go down on GE though.
          Funnily enough, that might work...
          I was measuring the distance from Doveton Street to Buck's Row last week, and when I placed the pin at the approximate murder site, Google Maps - instead of saying "no. 26 Durward Street" or whatever - actually came up with "Mary Ann Nichols, First victim of Jack the Ripper". So there's probably a virtual tour you can take.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they've stolen my idea of an augmented reality tour where you just point your phone camera at a site and it superimposes details of the tour onto the picture. If not, someone should do it!

Comment

Recently after doing a very small favour for a friend she offered to buy me a book as a ‘thank you’ so I chose Jack The Ripper’s East End by Richard Jones and Adam Wood ( one of Edgar’s Walking Guides) because i hadn’t got it and it was only £10 and I know that money is tight at the moment for her (she insisted btw)

Good choice by me

This is well worth it. A convenient size to carry around but still 198 pages long. Full of great info, photographs and facts. This is an excellent guide that you can use to walk around the East End visiting sites related to the murders starting at Aldgate East Underground and ending around 3 hours 45 minutes later at The Ten Bells. Worth £10 of anyone’s money.

Congratulations to Richard and Adam
            Thanks for this tip, Herlock!

My copy arrived this morning.

It's a really well presented little book and it looks like it will be useful for my planned mooching around Whitechapel later this year.

I've only had time to skim through it, but it looks just the ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Thanks for this tip, Herlock!

My copy arrived this morning.

It's a really well presented little book and it looks like it will be useful for my planned mooching around Whitechapel later this year.

I've only had time to skim through it, but it looks just the ticket!

No problem Ms D. There are others in the series which look interesting too.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

You often see books referred to in other books on the case that sound interesting, but older ones can often be difficult to find or are expensive. I’d often seen mention of Tom Divall’s Scoundrels And Scallywags (And Some Honest Men) but I’d never considered looking for it. Others on here will undoubtedly have originals but I don’t know how easy these are to find (or how expensive they might be these days?)

I saw this modern reprint on Amazon and it arrived today.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scoundrels-.../dp/B08R7XNRL7

I don’t know if there were photographs in the original but they aren’t any in this modern version? It’s a nice enough book though although I’d normally say £15 is maybe a bit pricey for a 152 page paperback? As you can see though you can get the Kindle version for £6.99.
                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 08-10-2021, 02:02 PM.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I might order this one. A new book on Neill Cream. Long overdue is say?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I might order this one. A new book on Neill Cream. Long overdue is say?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Murder.../dp/1616206896
                    Good choice Herlock, it received great reviews in the quality press.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Good choice Herlock, it received great reviews in the quality press.
                      His other books have been reviewed well too Barn. I wonder if Paul Begg has a copy for review in Rip?
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Interesting! He's one of the suspects I know very little about. Will give it a shot for sure!

Comment

Interesting! He's one of the suspects I know very little about. Will give it a shot for sure!
                          I don’t know if the ripper case gets a mention but it looks a good book. He was in Joliet prison at the time of the murders but someone did propose that someone that looked like him served the sentence for him leaving him free to be Jack the Ripper.

If that sounds like a stupid idea it’s because it is a stupid idea.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I don’t know if the ripper case gets a mention but it looks a good book. He was in Joliet prison at the time of the murders but someone did propose that someone that looked like him served the sentence for him leaving him free to be Jack the Ripper.

If that sounds like a stupid idea it’s because it is a stupid idea.
                            Ahhhh, yes! The dude with the doppelganger. I remember him now.

For some reason I always get him and Deeming muddled up.

TBH he's one of the few suspects I'd pretty much written off owing to the far fetched nature of the doppelganger theory (and you know that my strategy is to suspect EVERYONE indiscriminately, so it's rare that I write anyone off!).

I'm happy to read the book and see if it prompts a re-think though....

Comment

Ahhhh, yes! The dude with the doppelganger. I remember him now.

For some reason I always get him and Deeming muddled up.

TBH he's one of the few suspects I'd pretty much written off owing to the far fetched nature of the doppelganger theory (and you know that my strategy is to suspect EVERYONE indiscriminately, so it's rare that I write anyone off!).

I'm happy to read the book and see if it prompts a re-think though....

Of all of the suspects mentioned I’d say that Cream should really win ‘worst of all’ because he has the best alibi possible (apart from being dead)
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Of all of the suspects mentioned I’d say that Cream should really win ‘worst of all’ because he has the best alibi possible (apart from being dead)
                                Ha! I sometimes wonder if simply being dead is enough to preclude a person from being considered a suspect in this case.

Comment

Working...
                                X