Reviews Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Just out of interest, do you have a preferred suspect for Zodiac, Herlock?

After some extensive research (ie reading Grayling as recommended by Abby, and the first Hewitt book as recommended by Barn, then watching a documentary on YouTube!!!!! ) I plumped for Kane.
    Definitely not Ms D. I know way too little about the case and especially about the suspects. Like the JFK assassination there are lots of real Zodiac experts out there and it’s a massive subject but so far I haven’t allowed myself to be drawn in. I’m tempted though but I don’t know if my brain can cope with the ripper, the Wallace case, other subjects for reading and the Zodiac When I got interested in the JFK a few years ago I found myself getting sucked in for around a year before I decided that enough was enough. Some things can take up far too much of your life so I’m wary. That said, I’m still considering getting another book and dipping my toe further in.

Arthur Leigh Allan seemed to tick most of the boxes and appeared to be an interesting suspect but DNA appears to discount him but glancing through zodiackiller.com it appears that some still favour him or at least consider him still a suspect. I recall reading something about Kane a while ago and he certainly seemed of interest too.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

[QUOTE=Herlock Sholmes;n759363]

Definitely not Ms D. I know way too little about the case and especially about the suspects. Like the JFK assassination there are lots of real Zodiac experts out there and it’s a massive subject but so far I haven’t allowed myself to be drawn in. I’m tempted though but I don’t know if my brain can cope with the ripper, the Wallace case, other subjects for reading and the Zodiac When I got interested in the JFK a few years ago I found myself getting sucked in for around a year before I decided that enough was enough. Some things can take up far too much of your life so I’m wary. That said, I’m still considering getting another book and dipping my toe further in.

Arthur Leigh Allan seemed to tick most of the boxes and appeared to be an interesting suspect but DNA appears to discount him but glancing through zodiackiller.com it appears that some still favour him or at least consider him still a suspect. I recall reading something about Kane a while ago and he certainly seemed of interest too.

Fair point, Herlock!

It's easy to get sucked into some of these intriguing cases, but advisable to remain rooted firmly in the realities of the 21st century!

When it comes to the Ripper, I remain extremely circumspect.

I kind of sit back reading, listening, absorbing information and contemplating things, in the hope that one day more evidence will come to light and all of the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place.

In relation to other cases (about which I know nothing!) I'm happy to go blabbing on about whichever suspect tickles my fancy though, probably precisely because of my relative ignorance in these matters!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ms Diddles;n759364]
        Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Fair point, Herlock!

It's easy to get sucked into some of these intriguing cases, but advisable to remain rooted firmly in the realities of the 21st century!

When it comes to the Ripper, I remain extremely circumspect.

I kind of sit back reading, listening, absorbing information and contemplating things, in the hope that one day more evidence will come to light and all of the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place.

In relation to other cases (about which I know nothing!) I'm happy to go blabbing on about whichever suspect tickles my fancy though, probably precisely because of my relative ignorance in these matters!
        That’s anything but ignorance. It’s sensible as there are so many unknowns and so many that are likely to remain unknown. I think it’s best to take a cautious approach. Some prefer though to read complex plots into every error or to state opinions as facts. Then they burst into flames when you disagree.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Herlock Sholmes;n759366]

That’s anything but ignorance. It’s sensible as there are so many unknowns and so many that are likely to remain unknown. I think it’s best to take a cautious approach. Some prefer though to read complex plots into every error or to state opinions as facts. Then they burst into flames when you disagree.
          according to some in the know, the police are onto someone based on the dna.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

[QUOTE=Abby Normal;n759367]

We’ve had The Golden State Killer but I’d say that the Zodiac is the biggie. I wonder
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

[QUOTE=Abby Normal;n759367]

Hmmmmmm! Interesting, Abby!

Is this connected to what someone (Erobitha?) posted on the other thread about a website being instructed to shut down a thread relating to a particular suspect (McDuff)?

Comment

I can recommend the book Terror Of The Axeman: Britain’s Forgotten Serial Killer by John Lucas. This is a cracker IMO. It’s about Patrick Mackay, surely one of the most dangerous men ever. It’s unknown how many he actually killed but reading this I’d guess that it’s well into double figures despite only being tagged with three. He was also known as The Monster Of Belgravia and tended to kill older people, mostly women. Robbery was often involved but very little was taken. After he’d brutally murdered one old lady he just sat down in the armchair and dropped off to sleep.

Well worth a read. His crimes were in the 70’s but he’s still alive and in his late 60’s. Unbelievably he’s recently been considered suitably for an open prison which is the last step before release although he’s unlikely ever to actually be released.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Ok, I have to give a major to Abby Normal for recommending the book I just finished. It’s called The Monster Of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi.

This is an amazing story about the investigation of a series of murders of couples in cars. Shades of the Zodiac you might think but the main difference was that the women were mutilated too. Spezi is a journalist who pretty much became obsessed with the case. This book has it all. A strange cast of suspects and witnesses, a barking mad conspiracy theorist who a lead investigator treated like an Oracle, corruption in law enforcement high office and a public that preferred to believe in Satanic cults than the idea of a single serial killer. Spezi was even wrongly imprisoned for being ‘connected’ to the Murders when in actual fact he imprisoned for exposing corruption and chronic incompetence.

This is a brilliant 10 out of 10 book for me. I don’t know if there was an earlier version but the cover says ‘includes explosive new material?’ This new material concerns the Giuliano Mignini who was, and I believe still is, Public Prosecutor in Perugia at the time. How can this man still be in office? He was the guy who subsequently tried to fit up Amanda Knox.

An absolute cracker. Cheers Abby.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Ok, I have to give a major to Abby Normal for recommending the book I just finished. It’s called The Monster Of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi.

This is an amazing story about the investigation of a series of murders of couples in cars. Shades of the Zodiac you might think but the main difference was that the women were mutilated too. Spezi is a journalist who pretty much became obsessed with the case. This book has it all. A strange cast of suspects and witnesses, a barking mad conspiracy theorist who a lead investigator treated like an Oracle, corruption in law enforcement high office and a public that preferred to believe in Satanic cults than the idea of a single serial killer. Spezi was even wrongly imprisoned for being ‘connected’ to the Murders when in actual fact he imprisoned for exposing corruption and chronic incompetence.

This is a brilliant 10 out of 10 book for me. I don’t know if there was an earlier version but the cover says ‘includes explosive new material?’ This new material concerns the Giuliano Mignini who was, and I believe still is, Public Prosecutor in Perugia at the time. How can this man still be in office? He was the guy who subsequently tried to fit up Amanda Knox.

An absolute cracker. Cheers Abby.
                    thanks herlock
                    the book is one of the best on a sk case and as for crazy unsolved sk cases, its my number three after the ripper and zodiac.
                    bizarro and fascinating.
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

thanks herlock
                      the book is one of the best on a sk case and as for crazy unsolved sk cases, its my number three after the ripper and zodiac.
                      bizarro and fascinating.
                      Worth waiting for Abby

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Recently after doing a very small favour for a friend she offered to buy me a book as a ‘thank you’ so I chose Jack The Ripper’s East End by Richard Jones and Adam Wood ( one of Edgar’s Walking Guides) because i hadn’t got it and it was only £10 and I know that money is tight at the moment for her (she insisted btw)

Good choice by me

This is well worth it. A convenient size to carry around but still 198 pages long. Full of great info, photographs and facts. This is an excellent guide that you can use to walk around the East End visiting sites related to the murders starting at Aldgate East Underground and ending around 3 hours 45 minutes later at The Ten Bells. Worth £10 of anyone’s money.

Congratulations to Richard and Adam
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Recently after doing a very small favour for a friend she offered to buy me a book as a ‘thank you’ so I chose Jack The Ripper’s East End by Richard Jones and Adam Wood ( one of Edgar’s Walking Guides) because i hadn’t got it and it was only £10 and I know that money is tight at the moment for her (she insisted btw)

Good choice by me

This is well worth it. A convenient size to carry around but still 198 pages long. Full of great info, photographs and facts. This is an excellent guide that you can use to walk around the East End visiting sites related to the murders starting at Aldgate East Underground and ending around 3 hours 45 minutes later at The Ten Bells. Worth £10 of anyone’s money.

Congratulations to Richard and Adam
                          Thanks for posting, Herlock!

I'm going to take a look at this.

It sounds like it might be a good bet for my planned London trip later this year....

Comment

Thanks for posting, Herlock!

I'm going to take a look at this.

It sounds like it might be a good bet for my planned London trip later this year....
                            I’m going to do it when I’m next in London Ms D. Although with my sense of direction I’ll probably end up in Kent.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m going to do it when I’m next in London Ms D. Although with my sense of direction I’ll probably end up in Kent.
                              Well, maybe you could do a bit of hop picking whilst you are there!!!

I've ordered the book.

It looks interesting.

Comment

Well, maybe you could do a bit of hop picking whilst you are there!!!

I've ordered the book.

It looks interesting.
                                I was even thinking of cheating and trying Google Earth. It’s starts with a path with you can’t go down on GE though.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X