No announcement yet.

Reviews Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I know this is a bit of a digression, but as the thread is merely entitled "Reviews Required" I'd like to big up a new app which a friend recently recommended to me....

Nothing to do with Victorian Murders or even books...!!

It's called BirdNET.

You just point it at a tree or hedgerow where birds are singing.

It records them.

You select the section of audio you want, then hit "analyse".

It tells you exactly what birds you are hearing with a little picture and link to the relevant page of wikipedia.

It's free and really easy to use.

Naturally, I've tried to fool it by getting my partner to pretend to be a crow, but the analysis came back "human"!

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      I’m currently reading this one.

Initially the police called this very obvious murder an accident. How?

Then Scotland Yard was called in by the Chief Constable in the shape of Fred Wensley. An exhumation was done and Spilsbury confirmed that it was murder. Wensley then arrested a suspect who appeare to be the right man so I’m wondering how this case ‘defeated’ him? The only thing that I can see that the suspect had in his favour was that he was defended by Edward Marshall Hall so maybe ‘The Great Defender’ pulled it out of the bag for him?

An interesting read so far.
      Hall was actually Prosecuting on this occasion.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Interesting!

A while ago I read "The Magnificent Spilsbury and the Case of the Brides in the Bath".

That was quite a good read too, as I recall.
        I started reading that one a few months ago Miss D but a book that I’d been waiting for for ages arrived and I jumped ship (a bad habit of mine) I rarely use the library but this one was from there so I ended up returning it. Another one to revisit.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Also, I know this is a bit of a digression, but as the thread is merely entitled "Reviews Required" I'd like to big up a new app which a friend recently recommended to me....

Nothing to do with Victorian Murders or even books...!!

It's called BirdNET.

You just point it at a tree or hedgerow where birds are singing.

It records them.

You select the section of audio you want, then hit "analyse".

It tells you exactly what birds you are hearing with a little picture and link to the relevant page of wikipedia.

It's free and really easy to use.

Naturally, I've tried to fool it by getting my partner to pretend to be a crow, but the analysis came back "human"!
          Its a bit like Shazam.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I started reading that one a few months ago Miss D but a book that I’d been waiting for for ages arrived and I jumped ship (a bad habit of mine) I rarely use the library but this one was from there so I ended up returning it. Another one to revisit.
            I'd say it's worth revisiting.

It's a while since I read it, but I recall enjoying it!

Comment

Its a bit like Shazam.
              Ha! Yeah!

Ornithological Shazam!

I'm having a great time with it.

A stroll in the park takes hours though as I'm stopping all the time to stick my phone in any promising hedgerows!

Comment

Ha! Yeah!

Ornithological Shazam!

I'm having a great time with it.

A stroll in the park takes hours though as I'm stopping all the time to stick my phone in any promising hedgerows!
                You might hear something that you’re not expecting

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Charlie Parker - Ornithology - YouTube
                  My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

You might hear something that you’re not expecting
                    Ha! Round here, that's a distinct possibility!

It would be great if the analysis came up with "Dogging" and a link to a dodgy website!!!!

Comment

Ha! Round here, that's a distinct possibility!

It would be great if the analysis came up with "Dogging" and a link to a dodgy website!!!!
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m currently reading this one.

Initially the police called this very obvious murder an accident. How?

Then Scotland Yard was called in by the Chief Constable in the shape of Fred Wensley. An exhumation was done and Spilsbury confirmed that it was murder. Wensley then arrested a suspect who appeare to be the right man so I’m wondering how this case ‘defeated’ him? The only thing that I can see that the suspect had in his favour was that he was defended by Edward Marshall Hall so maybe ‘The Great Defender’ pulled it out of the bag for him?

An interesting read so far.
                        Ok I finished this one and it’s one that I’d certainly recommend. I won’t reveal the end result but it was an understandable one. It’s a fairly short book at 172 pages but that doesn’t mean that it’s too short. Some books might have had a lengthy family background of the victim and main characters which this book doesn’t have and some might have quoted lengthier passages from the trial but this author doesn’t. I didn’t feel that there was anything missing though.

Im now reading The Dark Side Of East London which looks good.

Im wondering if either of these two books have been reviewed by Paul in Ripperologist?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Ok I finished this one and it’s one that I’d certainly recommend. I won’t reveal the end result but it was an understandable one. It’s a fairly short book at 172 pages but that doesn’t mean that it’s too short. Some books might have had a lengthy family background of the victim and main characters which this book doesn’t have and some might have quoted lengthier passages from the trial but this author doesn’t. I didn’t feel that there was anything missing though.

Im now reading The Dark Side Of East London which looks good.

Im wondering if either of these two books have been reviewed by Paul in Ripperologist?
                          hey herlock
                          have you read either of Lord Orsams true crime murder mysteries yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hey herlock
                            have you read either of Lord Orsams true crime murder mysteries yet?
                            Id recommend them both Abby. I hope he eventually decides on another true crime
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Id recommend them both Abby. I hope he eventually decides on another true crime
                              He should have a crack at Jack the Ripper...
                              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

He should have a crack at Jack the Ripper...
                                yeah ive told him he should or one on the torsos

Comment

Working...
                                X