Cutting Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlanG View Post

Normally I would agree with you. In this case I am of the firm opinion, he wrote it from pure passion for the subject. Whether I agree with him or not, you are forced to respect his opinion. As we all respect yours also.
    well with his history of posts and this last one, i certainly dont. quite the opposite.

Comment

• Fair enough. It would be very sad to think we couldn't sit down civily with an ice tea and respect each others views.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanG View Post
        Fair enough. It would be very sad to think we couldn't sit down civily with an ice tea and respect each others views.
        do you really think people like harry who flippantly calls another posters book a "a con" deserve respect? thats up to you, but i certainly dont.

judging by his history and this latest id rather have hot needles in my eyes than have iced tea with that dude lol

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
          I like to see a good con,and this one is good,I hope Fisherman makes a bundle.Not that I am singling him out.I believe every author who has published about the Ripper,had a primary motive of making money,knowing full well they were not going to solve the murders.
          Few posters will have argued more heatedly than I have with Fish on Lechmere (and other aspects of this case) but I’m absolutely certain that Fish genuinely believes that Lechmere is the strongest suspect Harry. We can agree or disagree with him of course but if Fish was looking for a get rich quick scheme I’d suggest that he could have made a better choice than a Jack the Ripper suspect book aimed only at those with a pre-existing knowledge of the case.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I like to see a good con,and this one is good,I hope Fisherman makes a bundle.Not that I am singling him out.I believe every author who has published about the Ripper,had a primary motive of making money,knowing full well they were not going to solve the murders.
            Hi Harry,

I am certain that there are far easier ways to make a bundle of money.

I have no idea how much one would make from such a venture, but I very much doubt that such a niche book would be highly lucrative.

Personally, I salute Fish (and indeed the other authors on here) for having the courage of their convictions, putting in the leg work to painstakingly research their subject and having the sheer balls to print.

Even if motivations are largely financial (which somehow I doubt in this case), people who succeed in making a living doing something which they love and are genuinely fascinated by, are to be much admired (and perhaps a little bit envied?)in my book!

Comment

• Bundles of money pouring down on top of Ripper authors is an old and tired myth.
              Calling Christer's book a "con" written purely for that mythical bundle of money is in violation of our Personal Attack policy.
              Please keep this discussion focused on the content of his book, not your imaginings of what motivated him to write it.

JM

Comment

• I do not follow him around.The fact we both post on a subject means nothing.He sometimes writes in reply to what I say.Do I claim he is following me around.
                I am not jealous.I am retired with more that enough money i need for a comfortable retirement.As much as he is sincere,so am I.I am stating an opinion,and it is not a myth that people write for money,it's an established fact,especially on JTR.If there is a genuine desire to inform people at large,the internet is a far easier way of doing it.If Fisherman takes it as a personnel attack on himself,I apppologise.Look at the abuse Cornwall received,that Trevor Marriot receives,that other authors have received.Isn't that a violation of rules.
                I expected adverse comment from Abby Normal,he/she is like a lap dog as far as Fisherman is concerned.Had I written about an author not connected to this site,I doubt there would be a word said against me,but it worries me not one bit.

Comment

• In addition to the above,what does Fisherman think?Is it that no adverse comment be made?

Comment

• Julst taking the time to check in and thank Mr Bundy for his kind words!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi Harry,

I am certain that there are far easier ways to make a bundle of money.

I have no idea how much one would make from such a venture, but I very much doubt that such a niche book would be highly lucrative.

Personally, I salute Fish (and indeed the other authors on here) for having the courage of their convictions, putting in the leg work to painstakingly research their subject and having the sheer balls to print.

Even if motivations are largely financial (which somehow I doubt in this case), people who succeed in making a living doing something which they love and are genuinely fascinated by, are to be much admired (and perhaps a little bit envied?)in my book!
                      Nicely put, Ms D.

The vast majority of authors on any subject do not write with any expectation of being able to make a living out of it, let alone when it's just one book, and on a subject like Jack the Ripper.

As much as I doubt many readers will have a huge change of mind over Lechmere as a viable ripper suspect, I greatly admire Fisherman's tenacity and sincerity in his beliefs, and the long hours of hard work he will have put in, in the process of getting this book project off the ground. Good for him, if he manages to make a penny more than it has cost him, in time and money, to write. Many don't.

Love,

Caz
                      X

"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Nicely put, Ms D.

The vast majority of authors on any subject do not write with any expectation of being able to make a living out of it, let alone when it's just one book, and on a subject like Jack the Ripper.

As much as I doubt many readers will have a huge change of mind over Lechmere as a viable ripper suspect, I greatly admire Fisherman's tenacity and sincerity in his beliefs, and the long hours of hard work he will have put in, in the process of getting this book project off the ground. Good for him, if he manages to make a penny more than it has cost him, in time and money, to write. Many don't.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        Agreed!

It's no mean feat to publish a book, so any monetary reward (if indeed there is one) is hard earned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

...and Thank You, Columbo. Welcome back!
                          Thank you sir. Just ordered my copy. I hope it’s a rousing success.

Comment

Hello Harry,

I would think any author would like to make money. Most, if not backed by a publisher have to put a lot of financial burdens on themselves.

All JTR books dealing with a particular suspect are going to be theoretical at best. I think “con” is really not the correct word to describe these authors.

I applaud Fisherman for having not only the fortitude to produce a book but I’m also jealous of his talent to do so!

let’s celebrate his accomplishment!

Columbo

Comment

• Congratulations, Fisherman. Good luck with it!
                              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                              ---------------
                              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                              ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                                Congratulations, Fisherman. Good luck with it!
                                Only just saw this - many thanks, PC!

Comment

Working...
                                X