Cutting Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
    I was able to order last week, but have since cancelled with Amazon.
    The point is the paperback is now only available to order via, third party, dealers, not directly from Amazon.
    These have a huge Mark up, and a delivery date of late March. So I suspect they do not have copies at this time.
    I have seen it before on Amazon. Once saw an Egyptology book, price £35, offered when it was delayed at a price of £985.00

Sure it will get sorted soon.
    That is common across selling sites, easier to reprice to a crazy price than delete and then set up again when back in stock.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• much congrats on the book fish!! i had a sneaking suspicion you were up to something! cant wait to read!
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        much congrats on the book fish!! i had a sneaking suspicion you were up to something! cant wait to read!
        Many thanks; I hope you will find it worth the time and effort, Abby!

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
          March, Amazon is now telling me for a revised date. Must be a popular book.
          I noticed it is out on Booktopia now, Dusty, if that helps.

Comment

• I just went on Amazon UK to order the paperback but it is actually showing that the paperback (of which there appears to be only one new available) is slightly more expensive than the hardback. All very odd. Off to Waterstones I go and I can't find it at all there. Perhaps I should leave it a couple of weeks and try again.

I hope it convinces me and although I certainly have doubts and reservations, I am looking forward to getting my hands on a copy and I wish you every success.

Comment

• The hardback seems to be available now on Amazon, I've just ordered it.

When it does arrive I'll probably rattle through it in a day, nothing much else to do in this lockdown.

Here's the link folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ohrocky View Post
                I just went on Amazon UK to order the paperback but it is actually showing that the paperback (of which there appears to be only one new available) is slightly more expensive than the hardback. All very odd. Off to Waterstones I go and I can't find it at all there. Perhaps I should leave it a couple of weeks and try again.

I hope it convinces me and although I certainly have doubts and reservations, I am looking forward to getting my hands on a copy and I wish you every success.
                Thanks for that!

Comment

• I received this email from Amazon UK today:

Hello,

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on February 03 2021 (Order #).

Holmgren, Christer "Cutting Point: Solving the Jack the Ripper and the Thames Torso Murders"
                  Estimated arrival date: February 20 2021 - March 06 2021

Comment

• Christer, thanks for the Booktopia tip, but it's a lot more expensive there.

Gary, that's the message I got too!
                    dustymiller
                    aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                      Christer, thanks for the Booktopia tip, but it's a lot more expensive there.

Gary, that's the message I got too!
                      I’m not fussed, I’ve got a few unread books stacking up at the moment.

I’m curious to see how Christer’s theory plays out in respect of the psychology of the killer - what motivated him and what triggered the 1888 killings.

And, of course, any reference to the noble art of knackering will be of interest.

Comment

• I received my copy of Cutting Point just now. So I can attest that YES it does exist. Here's a pic of my copy. My first impression is that it's a very handsome book, with nice illustrations that I've not yet had time to study. There is no index or bibliography, which Christer will surely catch flack about. I know this because I put no index in The Bank Holiday Murders and got my hand slapped repeatedly. Also like BHM, Christer's book is around 200 pages and goes against the grain of the usual Ripper book by not discussing a bunch of stuff that we can read in any other Ripper book. He says as much in his introduction, anyway, which is all I've had time to read thus far. I commend that approach and hope that we'll see more of that in future Ripper books. There is no acknowledgements page (make of that what you will) but Edward Stow and Debra Arif are acknowledged in the introduction. I look forward to reading the rest. Congrats, Christer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          I received my copy of Cutting Point just now. So I can attest that YES it does exist. Here's a pic of my copy. My first impression is that it's a very handsome book, with nice illustrations that I've not yet had time to study. There is no index or bibliography, which Christer will surely catch flack about. I know this because I put no index in The Bank Holiday Murders and got my hand slapped repeatedly. Also like BHM, Christer's book is around 200 pages and goes against the grain of the usual Ripper book by not discussing a bunch of stuff that we can read in any other Ripper book. He says as much in his introduction, anyway, which is all I've had time to read thus far. I commend that approach and hope that we'll see more of that in future Ripper books. There is no acknowledgements page (make of that what you will) but Edward Stow and Debra Arif are acknowledged in the introduction. I look forward to reading the rest. Congrats, Christer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          Thank you, Tom, that´s good news - it seems the book exists after all! And, without specifically stating it, it addresses your own latest contribution "Ripper Confidential", where some of the content is described like this:
                          "Charles Lechmere, recently named as a suspect in the Jack the Ripper documentary, Conspiracy: The Missing Evidence, is restored to his proper place in history as an innocent witness."

It will be interesting to hear if my book in any way changes that take on things for you! I hope you will enjoy it.

Comment

• I think I should by now state that I have decided to sit back and let the discussion of the contents of the book from here on - provided there is such a discussion - remain inititally uncommented on by me. Once I have taken stock of whatever comments and reactions there may be, I will in all likelihood make my comments about it.

That, at least, is how my plan looks.

To those who read the book, I wish you some interesting hours in the company of the East End carman!

Comment

• Nice image of the Oxford Arms on the cover.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                                Nice image of the Oxford Arms on the cover.
                                Thanks! It’ s from 1875, I believe, and so it fits in quite well within the time frame. I think the cover artist, Nicolas Krizan, did a great job.

Comment

Working...
                                X