Free E-books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free E-books.

Project Gutenberg is a library of free eBooks.

Im sure that most posters are aware of The Gutenberg Project. A staggering amount of books online all free. Lots of rare ones. Lots of incredibly obscure ones. But also loads of classics.

As far as a Ripper connection, however peripheral, I found books by George R Sims, WT Stead, Henry Mayhew, Sidney And Beatrice Webb.

Well worth a look.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s

Im sure that most posters are aware of The Gutenberg Project. A staggering amount of books online all free. Lots of rare ones. Lots of incredibly obscure ones. But also loads of classics.

As far as a Ripper connection, however peripheral, I found books by George R Sims, WT Stead, Henry Mayhew, Sidney And Beatrice Webb.

Well worth a look.
    Yeah Herlock, it's a big lucky bag for grown ups.

Great site just to have a wander round.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      I'd say that they were pretty much essential reading, Herlock. I know Mayhew was writing 3 or 4 decades before the Ripper murders, but something tells me things hadn't changed all that much, especially among the poorer classes.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Yeah Herlock, it's a big lucky bag for grown ups.

Great site just to have a wander round.
        Hello Barn,

Its great for when you search the bibliography of a book and spot one of potential interest then spot it on sale for £70 !! I plan to have a good dig around at the weekend.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          I'd say that they were pretty much essential reading, Herlock. I know Mayhew was writing 3 or 4 decades before the Ripper murders, but something tells me things hadn't changed all that much, especially among the poorer classes.
          Very true Sam. I just downloaded How Te Poor Live by Sims.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It's just not the same thing as getting a complimentary copy from an author.

Comment

True Scott but I don’t think I’m likely to get a signed copy of Sims book unfortunately.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Here's one about 11 of the suspects, a chapter about each of them: https://zoboko.com/book/wdmwex5l/who...pects-revealed

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post
                  Here's one about 11 of the suspects, a chapter about each of them: https://zoboko.com/book/wdmwex5l/who...pects-revealed
                  Thanks Lewis. Beadle's chapter on Bury is a good, readable overview. As usual the three things that really stand out about Bury that Beadle covers in his chapter are:
                  1. The simialoirity in mutilations
                  2. His extremly close fit to the profile of a serial killer
                  3. He was in the east end and missing from his lodgings on the nights in question
                  I've never been convnced about Beadle's theory that the nature of Bury's father's death, being ripped open up the middle by a cartwheel, somehow influenced him. He did undoubtedly have a very dysfunctional childhood from what we do know.

Will read the other suspect chapters at some point.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Lewis. I'm yet to get into the book but from a quick look it seems interesting.
                    Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestion, Lewis. I'm yet to get into the book but from a quick look it seems interesting.
                      I found that when using the online viewer it wanted to skip on several pages at a time, instead of to the next page. I ending up flipping back and forth to get the right one. I might download it to read the other chapters.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post

I found that when using the online viewer it wanted to skip on several pages at a time, instead of to the next page. I ending up flipping back and forth to get the right one. I might download it to read the other chapters.
                        I downloaded the book and didn't have any glitches during a quick flick through.

Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethelwulf View Post

Thanks Lewis. Beadle's chapter on Bury is a good, readable overview. As usual the three things that really stand out about Bury that Beadle covers in his chapter are:
                          1. The simialoirity in mutilations
                          2. His extremly close fit to the profile of a serial killer
                          3. He was in the east end and missing from his lodgings on the nights in question
                          I've never been convnced about Beadle's theory that the nature of Bury's father's death, being ripped open up the middle by a cartwheel, somehow influenced him. He did undoubtedly have a very dysfunctional childhood from what we do know.

Will read the other suspect chapters at some point.
                          You're welcome Aethelwulf and Enigma. What I like about the book is that considering suspects is what interests me most about the case, but most suspect books are either about a single suspect, or about a very large number of suspects, most of whom I see little reason to suspect. This book selects 11 of what it considers the best suspects and goes into some depth about each, with many if not all of the chapters written by very good researchers. Overall, I think it's a pretty smart selection about which suspects to include, although I would consider George Chapman, Charles le Grand, and James Kelly more worthy of a chapter than Robert Mann. Martin Fido's chapter on David Cohen might be his last word on the subject. I don't know of him writing anything about Cohen after that.

Another thing about the Beadle chapter about Bury caught my attention when I first read it. Beadle said that there are 6 suspects that merit serious attention, 5 of whom were familiar names. However, there was one that I had never heard of: Thomas Donoghue. About 3 weeks ago, I started a thread in the JTR Forum asking if anyone knew anything about him, which resulted in some good research by R.J. Palmer, Gary Barnett, and Debra Arif - I apologize if I'm leaving anyone out. Palmer found a writing in the April 2000 Ripperologist about Donoghue, written by Stuart Sullivan, and posted copies of pages from it. I came away from the discussion believing that Donoghue can't be ruled out, but isn't one of the stronger suspects.

Comment

Working...
                          X