Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    True Scott but I donít think Iím likely to get a signed copy of Sims book unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Nelson
    replied
    It's just not the same thing as getting a complimentary copy from an author.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I'd say that they were pretty much essential reading, Herlock. I know Mayhew was writing 3 or 4 decades before the Ripper murders, but something tells me things hadn't changed all that much, especially among the poorer classes.
    Very true Sam. I just downloaded How Te Poor Live by Sims.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Yeah Herlock, it's a big lucky bag for grown ups.

Great site just to have a wander round.
    Hello Barn,

Its great for when you search the bibliography of a book and spot one of potential interest then spot it on sale for £70 !! I plan to have a good dig around at the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    As far as a Ripper connection, however peripheral, I found books by George R Sims, WT Stead, Henry Mayhew, Sidney And Beatrice Webb.
    I'd say that they were pretty much essential reading, Herlock. I know Mayhew was writing 3 or 4 decades before the Ripper murders, but something tells me things hadn't changed all that much, especially among the poorer classes.

Leave a comment:

• barnflatwyngarde
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s

Im sure that most posters are aware of The Gutenberg Project. A staggering amount of books online all free. Lots of rare ones. Lots of incredibly obscure ones. But also loads of classics.

As far as a Ripper connection, however peripheral, I found books by George R Sims, WT Stead, Henry Mayhew, Sidney And Beatrice Webb.

Well worth a look.
    Yeah Herlock, it's a big lucky bag for grown ups.

Great site just to have a wander round.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    started a topic Free E-books.

Free E-books.

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s

Im sure that most posters are aware of The Gutenberg Project. A staggering amount of books online all free. Lots of rare ones. Lots of incredibly obscure ones. But also loads of classics.

Well worth a look.
Working...
X