Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free E-books.

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s

Im sure that most posters are aware of The Gutenberg Project. A staggering amount of books online all free. Lots of rare ones. Lots of incredibly obscure ones. But also loads of classics.

As far as a Ripper connection, however peripheral, I found books by George R Sims, WT Stead, Henry Mayhew, Sidney And Beatrice Webb.

Well worth a look.
    Regards

Herlock

“ Herlock is the cleverest man that I’ve ever met.” - Stephen Hawking.
    “ I wish that I could have achieved half as much as Herlock.”- Neil Armstrong.
    “ What a voice Herlock has.” - Luciano Pavarotti.
    “ I wish that I could dump Harry for Herlock.” - Meghan Markle.
    “ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s

Im sure that most posters are aware of The Gutenberg Project. A staggering amount of books online all free. Lots of rare ones. Lots of incredibly obscure ones. But also loads of classics.

As far as a Ripper connection, however peripheral, I found books by George R Sims, WT Stead, Henry Mayhew, Sidney And Beatrice Webb.

Well worth a look.
    Yeah Herlock, it's a big lucky bag for grown ups.

Great site just to have a wander round.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      I'd say that they were pretty much essential reading, Herlock. I know Mayhew was writing 3 or 4 decades before the Ripper murders, but something tells me things hadn't changed all that much, especially among the poorer classes.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Yeah Herlock, it's a big lucky bag for grown ups.

Great site just to have a wander round.
        Hello Barn,

Its great for when you search the bibliography of a book and spot one of potential interest then spot it on sale for £70 !! I plan to have a good dig around at the weekend.
        Regards

Herlock

“ I know that it’s not good to be jealous but I just can’t help it.” - John Holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          I'd say that they were pretty much essential reading, Herlock. I know Mayhew was writing 3 or 4 decades before the Ripper murders, but something tells me things hadn't changed all that much, especially among the poorer classes.
          Very true Sam. I just downloaded How Te Poor Live by Sims.
          Regards

Herlock

Comment

It's just not the same thing as getting a complimentary copy from an author.

Comment

True Scott but I don’t think I’m likely to get a signed copy of Sims book unfortunately.
              Regards

Herlock

Comment

Working...
              X