Updated List of Documentaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
    I wonder what those theories were that are in the synopsis for the 1945 radio show.
    I recognise the editor, Dickson Carr and a couple of actors, Norman Shelley. Laidman Browne.

Looking at the characters. Wasn't Lawson a doctor around the time of the Ripper crimes who thought the Ripper might be a woman.
    Langham was a coroner. Bowyer discovered MJK when he went for rent. Could Brown be James Brown. I see a Reid as well but P.F is wrong.
    John Dickson Carr (1906 November 30-1977 February 27. He died of lung cancer like sooooo many other writers of the time.) was an American mystery writer, perhaps best known for creating Dr. Gideon Fell. He was authorized by the Doyle family to write a biography of Arthur Conan Doyle ("The Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" (1949)) and published several "Further Adventures of" Sherlock Holmes stories, which were collected as "The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes" (1954). I can not find any other connection to Jack the Ripper, but I haven't conducted a in-depth search.

"Louis" may be Deimshitz. The presence of a "Mrs Louis" would seem to make this more likely. Remember that there was some initial confusion in the newspapers to whether "Louis" was his given name or surname.
    Last edited by C. F. Leon; 03-17-2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Another Radio show, this was part of a series called - The Other Victorians.
      This episode is based on the Prince Eddy theory. It was broadcast 01/06/72 a year before Barlow & Watt.

THE OTHER VICTORIANS

A ten-part series examining the hidden and darker aspects of Victorian life.

8: Who was Jack the Ripper? bv MICHELL RAPER

Compiled and introduced by MICHELL RAPER with the voices of
      BETTY BASKCOMB DOUGLAS BLACKWELL. GERALD CROSS WILLIAM EEDLE. MARTIN FRIEND
      OLWEN GRIFFITHS , LESLIE HERITAGE JOHN RUDDOCK , LEWIS STRINGER and MANNING WILSON
      The series of gruesome murders committed by an unidentified psychopath in 1888 is perhaps the most notorious crime in British legal history. Among its most sensational features was the persistent rumour that the murderer was a highly placed aristocrat shielded by the police: and recently, and most sensationally of all. that he was the Duke of Clarence. eldest son of the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII , and therefore eventual heir to the English throne. When this unhappy Prince died in 1892 there was a well-orchestrated outpouring of grief: Hope of a people's heart - your promised king - and mine, .wrote Alfred Austin. But could he really have been Jack the Ripper? Producer HALLAM TENNYSON

Comment

There's a script for the The Other Victorians show. Only 100 copies printed.

https://www.casebook.org/ripper_medi...ion/raper.html

I know BBC radio have done a few over the years, such as Smiler with the Knife. Details of which are on BBC Genome.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/78ebc826...d95dee0be8a578
        These are not clues, Fred.
        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
        We will not.

Comment

Here's the program, Smiler With The Knife,...a direct download :

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.co...ife-19xx-xx-xx

Comment

Here's a list of programs on You Tube which I've compiled...over 2,000 programs, quite a few of which are television shows or East End, LVP, or Whitechapel Murder related

There are other documentaries not mentioned on this thread in the compilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Here's the program, Smiler With The Knife,...a direct download :

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.co...ife-19xx-xx-xx
              Nice, I thought, I haven't heard it before.

What I downloaded is a play. It has nothing to do with the Ripper.

If you have the real Smiler With The Knife is there any chance of a copy Howard?

Smiler with the Knife
              BBC Home Service Basic, 12 April 1967 21.15
              Synopsis
              The mystery of Jack the Ripper
              Many theories have been advanced as to the identity and motives of Jack the Ripper, whose savage murders terrorised the East End of London in 1888. Compiled from contemporary sources, this programme recounts his activities and the public reaction which caused Queen Victoria to address, strongly worded notes of criticism to her Home Secretary and led to the eventual resignation of the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.
              Written and narrated by Tony van den Bergh
              Contributors
              Writer/Narrator: Tony van den Bergh
              Producer: Robert Pocock

edit
              Howard, below is a BBC Genome link to the page about the play The Smiler With The Knife
              It's about a couple who stumble across an organisation with close links with fascist Germany.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/1622d40d...545bfc8470a6e6
              Last edited by Ozzy; 03-22-2021, 11:42 AM.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

Comment

Working...
              X