Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

And what happened to her small change?
    That question applies to all of them. It was customary for the client to hand over the pennies before she agrees to go with him.
    Chapman's pocket had been cut or torn open, contents scattered, what was he looking for?

Phillips said:
    "...I searched the yard and found a small piece of coarse muslin, a small-tooth comb, and a pocket-comb, in a paper case, near the railing. They had apparently been arranged there. I also discovered various other articles, which I handed to the police."

Looks like pocket contents to me, and......not to change the subject, but we might wonder what "various other articles", include?
    Shoe leather?
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

That requires two conjectures: that she did not finish eating her food at the lodging house, but took some with her, and that she ate all the remaining food she had before she was murdered.
      Perfectly possible and plausible. What’s wrong with conjecture? We all do it? To say that she couldn’t have had something to eat post lodging house is also conjecture.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

It is ad nauseam, not ad nauseum.
        Was that necessary….or important? Have you never made a typo or a spelling error?
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

We need to fill that 3+ hours with something, and since we know her intentions it isn't unreasonable to believe she obtained her 4d for the bed pretty easy.

A bed for the night cost 8d, not 4d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Was that necessary….or important? Have you never made a typo or a spelling error?

I would ask for my posts # 6702, # 6707, # 6750 and # 6754 all to be taken into consideration.

Comment

That requires two conjectures: that she did not finish eating her food at the lodging house, but took some with her, and that she ate all the remaining food she had before she was murdered.
              Conjecture isn't a dirty word, it's what we do with it that matters.
              It's not being offered as a fact, and every quote appears to say she was eating more than one potato so she may have had two or three in her hand, only ate one, keeping the rest for later?
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I noticed, it's just a single was 4d, and a double was 8d.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It is ad nauseam, not ad nauseum.
                  spelling policing is the last refuge of a losing argument.

Comment

Conjecture isn't a dirty word, it's what we do with it that matters.
                    It's not being offered as a fact, and every quote appears to say she was eating more than one potato so she may have had two or three in her hand, only ate one, keeping the rest for later?

Do you know how many conjectures are necessary for the case being presented to stand up, from secreted potatoes to unusually rapid cooling of the body, unusually early setting in of rigor mortis, the murderer looking for a victim unusually late in the morning, the murderer committing a murder when it was starting to get light, the murderer having some other means of cleaning his hands then the available tap water, the victim choosing to go into the house at such a time as she knew it was more likely that residents of it would be getting up, and the clocks being wrong in just such a way as to reconcile two witnesses' testimony?
                    Last edited by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1; 10-22-2023, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Wilkinson, the deputy at Flower & Dean St. lodginghouse tells us at the Eddowes inquest.

"A single bed is 4d, and a double 8d."
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

spelling policing is the last refuge of a losing argument.

Take a silver star for spelling losing correctly.

Comment

Wilkinson, the deputy at Flower & Dean St. lodginghouse tells us at the Eddowes inquest.

"A single bed is 4d, and a double 8d."

I refer you to Timothy Donovan's evidence.

He was quite definite that Chapman's bed cost 8d for one night.

Comment

Do you know how many conjectures are necessary for the case being presented to stand up, from secreted potatoes to unusually rapid cooling of the body, unusually early setting in of rigor mortis, the murderer looking for a victim unusually late in the morning, the murderer committing a murder when it was starting to get light, the murderer having some other means of cleaning his hands then the available tap water, the victim choosing to go into the house at such a time as she knew it was more likely that residents of it would be getting up, and the clocks being wrong in just such a way as to reconcile two witnesses' testimony?
                            I get your point, it's just that if you don't make allowances for the 'unknown' then you will choose to place her death many hours sooner, and end up kicking the problem down the road.
                            So now it becomes Phillips's problem.
                            Between 1:50 and 5:30 we have to fill in the time with rational conjecture - even if you place her death earlier (4:30), you're left with the same question, and the same need for conjecture.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I would ask for my posts # 6702, # 6707, # 6750 and # 6754 all to be taken into consideration.

And # 6762 too.

Comment

Take a silver star for spelling losing correctly.
                                Thanks PI! Take a wooden nickel for debating from the incorrect side!

Comment

Working...
                                X