Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

And 16 people on Herlock's poll agree
    You're from the United States? You have burrowing owls in the United States? A burrowing owl understands just how ridiculous this is. In the event a burrowing owl understands this then we as human beings, complete with the ability to reason, should be able to understand this also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Now you're asking.....!!

Yeah, I interpret it as the heat being underneath the intestines rather than inside them.

Perhaps a large portion of the intestines were still inside the abdominal cavity and coiled around. The heat was on the portions which were closer to the pavement than the open wound, beneath the bulk of them.......??

Admittedly I am stretching here...!

I appreciate the admission that you are stretching but you seem to be saying that what Dr Phillips detected was heat on portions of the intestines? Have I got that right?

So he found some portions of the intestines to be cold (?) and other portions, in the part of the abdominal cavity towards the back of Chapman's body, to be warm? Is that right?

But in that case wouldn't he have said something like "the body was cold except for remaining heat in the underside of the intestines"?

Would you agree that "under the intestines" isn't a natural way of expressing what you are describing?

(im only pushing this with you because I know that I’ll get an unbiased response Ms D)
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

You're from the United States? You have burrowing owls in the United States? A burrowing owl understands just how ridiculous this is. In the event a burrowing owl understands this then we as human beings, complete with the ability to reason, should be able to understand this also.
        mirror's still in good order then

Comment

And do you know who also has the ability to reason and the ability to understand English? I’ll tell you.

For

Dusty
          Wickerman
          Aelric
          Abby
          Jeff
          Azarna
          PCDunn
          Kattrup
          Erobitha
          Ms D
          Enigma
          Al B
          Dickere
          Aethelwulf
          Milchmanuk
          And me!

Against or claiming “it was a fix your honour!”

You
          Fishy
          Possibly George (but if George came to feel that he was wrong, he’d admit it)

So we have UK, Canada, USA, Australia, Denmark, all understanding English perfectly well.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

So we have UK
            We don't refer to our countries as: "the UK". It's England, Scotland and Wales.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	kemosabe-2-300x209.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	793689
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

makes about as much sense as the rest of your posts.

Comment

We don't refer to our countries as: "the UK". It's England, Scotland and Wales.
                  You haven’t defined it correctly - you omitted Northern Ireland. Hence from Britannica.com:

The United Kingdom comprises the whole of the island of Great Britain—which contains England, Wales, and Scotland—as well as the northern portion of the island of Ireland.

United Kingdom, island country located off the northwestern coast of mainland Europe. It comprises the whole of the island of Great Britain—which contains England, Wales, and Scotland—as well as the northern portion of the island of Ireland. Its capital is London.

Then again, experience tells us that poor definitions are s habit of yours.
                  Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 08-26-2022, 09:14 PM.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I appreciate the admission that you are stretching but you seem to be saying that what Dr Phillips detected was heat on portions of the intestines? Have I got that right?

So he found some portions of the intestines to be cold (?) and other portions, in the part of the abdominal cavity towards the back of Chapman's body, to be warm? Is that right?

But in that case wouldn't he have said something like "the body was cold except for remaining heat in the underside of the intestines"?

Would you agree that "under the intestines" isn't a natural way of expressing what you are describing?

(im only pushing this with you because I know that I’ll get an unbiased response Ms D)
                    Well, yeah!

I completely agree that it is indeed an unnatural and rather ambiguous way of expressing himself.

Your second paragraph above encapsulates how I personally interpret his statement.

That's not to say I'm correct.

It would have been vastly preferable had he provided more detail and said something like "The body felt cold but when I inserted my hands into the abdominal cavity and felt underneath the intestines, there was still some residual heat", but alas we've got what we've got!

For my part, I'm fine with accepting that his statement is open to interpretation and we simply can't be 100% certain as to what he meant.

It's infuriating and frustrating, but as with so many other aspects of the case, sometimes "we just don't know for sure" is for me, an acceptable and completely honest position to adopt.

A bit of a cop out, I know!

Comment

• For those who think that Phillips could tie down the TOD so accurately that his lower estimate couldn’t possibly have been out by 50 minutes or so according to some they should consider an even more well known case. In 1994, Claudine Ratcliffe of the LA county Coroners office examined, in situ, the bodies of Ronald Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson. Using an electronic thermometer she checked and recorded the temperature. She checked for Rigor Mortis, Algor Mortis and Livor Mortis.She made an incision between the ribs and inserted a probe to check the body temperature. With her modern day knowledge and her modern day knowledge she (like Dr. Phillips) gave an estimated TOD range of between 9pm June 12th and 12.45am June 13th.

At the trial the defence attacked this estimate trying to claim that it was the result of incompetence because they wanted it tied down because there was only a period of around 1 hour when OJ Simpson had no alibi. They wanted to believe that a more accurate estimation should have been arrived at.

The Chief Medical Examiner, Lakshmanan Satyavagiswaran, told them that he himself couldn’t have narrowed it down any further had he arrived at the crime scene before the police!

This was in 1994. And yet we have posters on here claiming that a Doctor in 1888 could do better simply by touching a corpse and noting a little stiffness. It’s an embarrassment to the subject.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Who is we? It’s the UK.
                        Spoken like an American (some Americans).

Take a leaf out of Tom Wescott's book.

Tom is an American who has taken the time to understand that this island is made up of distinct nations: England, Scotland and Wales. So, when Tom speaks of London, he speaks of England, not the UK. Quite right, too.

When referring to us, the UK is largely an Americanism.

To the people of this island, the UK, or Britain, is a marriage of political convenience where the constituent parts pooled their resources. Walk around England and ask people where they're from, they'll say England; likewise Scotland; likewise Wales. Ask us what the UK is and most of us would say: "not quite sure, does it include Northern Ireland?". Ask us the difference between Britain and the UK and most of us would say: "**** knows".

That's because nobody here is particularly interested in the UK. The countries are England, Scotland and Wales; the people are the English, the Scottish and the Welsh.

You've called yourself Sherlock Holmes. You're posting insurmountable levels of shite about Jack the Ripper. You must enjoy this. Take the time to learn more about the people who are giving you such enjoyment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Well, yeah!

I completely agree that it is indeed an unnatural and rather ambiguous way of expressing himself.

Your second paragraph above encapsulates how I personally interpret his statement.

That's not to say I'm correct.

It would have been vastly preferable had he provided more detail and said something like "The body felt cold but when I inserted my hands into the abdominal cavity and felt underneath the intestines, there was still some residual heat", but alas we've got what we've got!

For my part, I'm fine with accepting that his statement is open to interpretation and we simply can't be 100% certain as to what he meant.

It's infuriating and frustrating, but as with so many other aspects of the case, sometimes "we just don't know for sure" is for me, an acceptable and completely honest position to adopt.

A bit of a cop out, I know!

Not at all Ms D. Honest, fair and reasoned as ever.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Spoken like an American (some Americans).

Take a leaf out of Tom Wescott's book.

Tom is an American who has taken the time to understand that this island is made up of distinct nations: England, Scotland and Wales. So, when Tom speaks of London, he speaks of England, not the UK. Quite right, too.

When referring to us, the UK is largely an Americanism.

To the people of this island, the UK, or Britain, is a marriage of political convenience where the constituent parts pooled their resources. Walk around England and ask people where they're from, they'll say England; likewise Scotland; likewise Wales. Ask us what the UK is and most of us would say: "not quite sure, does it include Northern Ireland?". Ask us the difference between Britain and the UK and most of us would say: "**** knows".

That's because nobody here is particularly interested in the UK. The countries are England, Scotland and Wales; the people are the English, the Scottish and the Welsh.

You've called yourself Sherlock Holmes. You're posting insurmountable levels of shite about Jack the Ripper. You must enjoy this. Take the time to learn more about the people who are giving you such enjoyment.

Bit of a tantrum there.

Are you labouring under the impression that I’m not from the UK? Have you got yet another thing wrong? Im English and I live in England.

England is part of the UK whatever you think (and I use the word ‘think’ very loosely in your case)

. You've called yourself Sherlock Holmes.
                            Nope. I called myself Herlock Sholmes after a parody of Sherlock Holmes (another thing that you apparently didn’t know to add to the list) It’s just that you have nothing to offer of value in these debates that you have to resort to babyish name calling.

Youre getting very angry Meetwood. Is it because you’re already feeble case has crumbled? No one agrees with your caveat nonsense. Your stuff on TOD flies in the face of the evidence. And the biggest joke of all is that you persist in trying to convince people that Victorian Doctor knew more than modern day pathologists with armfuls of technology.

Back to the circus with you.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Im English and I live in England
                              Going off your posts for a few weeks now, I highly doubt it.

Comment

Bit of a tantrum there.
                                I'm starting to think Meety is on these boards because he's actually a psychopath. His massive ego and sense of self importance certainly wouldn't be amiss. What's the bet that in real life he wouldn't say boo to an ant.
                                Last edited by Aethelwulf; 08-26-2022, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X