• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Sutton View Post

Touchy!

No one asked you to post a tedious link to some article on risk, or deliver lectures, yet you do - and for free!

The word is 'maths' - not 'math'.
    Here, physician, heal thyself......"math" vs "maths".

The technical and more widely accepted abbreviation for the mass noun mathematics is “math” in both America and Canada, and “maths” is used in the United Kingdom, Australia, etc. But those are just preferences. Both versions of the word are accepted anywhere because they're both correct.​
    Learn the difference between the abbreviations math and maths right here in this article.

You need to get out more young man....

Confessing a lack of education is hardly something to brag about.....

Anytime you feel like returning to the point of the thread, just holler....

Leave a comment:

• PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1
    replied

Maybe even a German sailor?

Maybe even more than maybe.

Leave a comment:

• A P Tomlinson
    replied

Touchy!

No one asked you to post a tedious link to some article on risk, or deliver lectures, yet you do - and for free!

Now, one can tolerate some tourist spluttering and barging around, claiming ownership, acting like some Overlord. But there's a limit!

You've slated some ex-British cop, but scream when put in your place. I think his ideas are wrong, but you have constantly insulted him, whilst acting like John-Boy Walton in piety. Your attacks on him are ad-hom and nasty.

One can only imagine how some blustering countryman of yours would react, if some Limey were laying down the law, lecturing some NY ex-cop.

I think many of the best Ripperologists have been American/non-British. Why not study them and follow their lead? Don't misunderstand British reserve for acceptance. We put up with a lot of patronisation, but tend to have the last laugh.

SMILEY FACE!
    Wow!
    When you started that with "Touchy" was it an expression of how you felt by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1
    replied
    Originally posted by A P Tomlinson View Post

Then why did Anderson say on the 23rd October 1888 that:

"That a crime of this kind should have been committed without any clue being supplied by the criminal, is unusual, but that five successive murders should have been committed without our having the slightest clue of any kind is extraordinary, if not unique, in the annals of crime."

Bare in mind that that statement is made before Kelly's death, and when Tabram was still considered a victim of the same hand. So Eddowes was still the most recent victim.

Bear in mind also that Anderson was furious that Warren had, so he claimed, destroyed possibly vital evidence which, he claimed, could have enabled the police to identify the murderer.

That contradicts his statement about being clueless - although he personally obviously was.

Neither statement of his supports his much later contention that it had been quite obvious that the murderer had to be a Polish Jew.

Leave a comment:

• A P Tomlinson
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Sounds plausible AP. But it would be good to hear a medical opinion.
    My daughter has JUST got back from Uni for a week... like an hour ago.
    If I pile into either her or the Mrs for professional opinions right now, I'm likely to get my head kicked in.
    Once I have delivered a selection of Mr Dominoe's fine Italian Pies in front of them, I will gauge the temperature and maybe bring up the matter of severed intestinal deposits over dinner...
    Or maybe wait till tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Fiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
    Various forms of information have been put forward to suggest Annie was not alive at a quarter past five in the morning.
    For an earlier death we have:
    * A period doctor's opinion about the time of death. As has been repeatedly shown, modern forensic studies show thatVictorian time of death estimates could be wildly inaccurate.
    * Some posters offering unsupported opinions about digestion rates with no evidence to back those opinions.

Leave a comment:

• Ms Diddles
    replied

Touchy!

Now, one can tolerate some tourist spluttering and barging around, claiming ownership, acting like some Overlord. But there's a limit!

You've slated some ex-British cop, but scream when put in your place. I think his ideas are wrong, but you have constantly insulted him, whilst acting like John-Boy Walton in piety. Your attacks on him are ad-hom and nasty.

One can only imagine how some blustering countryman of yours would react, if some Limey were laying down the law, lecturing some NY ex-cop.

I think many of the best Ripperologists have been American/non-British. Why not study them and follow their lead? Don't misunderstand British reserve for acceptance. We put up with a lot of patronisation, but tend to have the last laugh.

SMILEY FACE!
    Hmmmmm!

I think you are going for arch and withering here, but it's actually just coming across as kinda hysterical and extremely rude.

Just sayin'!

SMILEY FACE

Leave a comment:

• Fiver
    replied
    What do these studies suggest in relation to the accuracy of Albert's recollection of events?
    Those studies are about errors made in eyewitness identification of suspects. They establish absolutely nothing about Cadosch's recollection of events.

Leave a comment:

• Fiver
    replied
    1) It is highly unlikely that a serial killer would murder in that location at that time of the day.
    2) Witnesses such as Albert Cadosche, are prone to recollecting events that did not actually happen that way in their entirety.
    1) It is highly unlikely that a serial killer would murder at any of those locations at those times of day. As I have linked multiple times, it was the night of a new moon with heavy cloud cover. The Ripper could have killed Chapman in the morning twilight. There's a good chance that it would hav been too dark before then.

2) All of your examples are about the inaccuracy of eyewitness descriptions of suspects. Neither Cadosch nor Richardson gave an eyewitness description of a suspect. You can't just handwave away their testimony - you need to establish credible reasons that they were several hours off on their time estimates or that they would have deliberately lied.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Sutton
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I used to work for a company that did work for Westinghouse Brakes. A long established company.
    The case is solved!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Sutton
    replied
    Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

I think your first point is correct, but on your second point, how can we be confident that the murderer was British and not, dare I suggest it, a foreign sailor?
    Maybe even a German sailor?

Leave a comment:

• A P Tomlinson
    replied
    Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Chief Inspector Henry Moore and Sir Robert Anderson, both from Scotland Yard, thought that the graffito was the work of the murderer (Sugden, p. 254​).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goulst...o#cite_note-16
    Then why did Anderson say on the 23rd October 1888 that:

"That a crime of this kind should have been committed without any clue being supplied by the criminal, is unusual, but that five successive murders should have been committed without our having the slightest clue of any kind is extraordinary, if not unique, in the annals of crime."

​Maybe... he was able to process information in a rational manner and after more deliberation... changed his mind?

Bare in mind that that statement is made before Kelly's death, and when Tabram was still considered a victim of the same hand. So Eddowes was still the most recent victim.

But that statement... it's not exactly awash with ambiguity.

Leave a comment:

• PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1
    replied

It's not your language (nor indeed, your serial killer).

I think your first point is correct, but on your second point, how can we be confident that the murderer was British and not, dare I suggest it, a foreign sailor?

Leave a comment:

• PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Don't you remember reading that I asked if you were sure those quotes were attributed to you, as I don't know which post they came from?
    Ok, we got out hairs crossed, lets just drop it and carry on with the case?

Yes.

I do remember and I think perhaps the misunderstanding arose because the first time you saw what I had written, it was in italics.

I still have no idea what press report I was supposed to have misrepresented, but am also willing to move on to other controversies.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

Touchy!

It's not your language (nor indeed, your serial killer). Now, one can tolerate some ex-colonial spluttering and barging around. But there's a limit.

Never heard of Westinghouse - nor has anyone else!
    I used to work for a company that did work for Westinghouse Brakes. A long established company.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X