• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Good luck with that, Michael.

Harry Harris claimed he'd seen nothing.

Hyam Levy testified—

"I should think he was three inches taller than the woman, who was, perhaps, 5ft high."

But look on the bright side.

At the very least, Levy's testimony rules out Francis Tumblety. He was over six feet tall.

Also, Sadler had ears that stuck out like a London cab with its doors open.

It's the sort of detail Lawende, Hyman and Harris might have noticed.
    I know your point on what they said themselves with respect to their observances Simon, just not sure I can trust it. I don't see Lawende as much value in the case of Kates murder, let alone other Jack events. If they did use him, potentially a few times, then I suppose his denial of the ability to recognize the man he described within 2 weeks of making the statement is untrustworthy. On the face of it, it seems odd that they would flog a dead horse.
    Michael Richards

Comment

• I think we have to remember there were several detectives on the case for Scotland Yard, they don't all need to see eye to eye. We know of Abberline, Reid, Moore, Nairn, to name a few. We might have one report across Swanson's desk that Lawende's sighting was not trusted, but another detective might decide to use Lawende sometime later for an I.D.
      We shouldn't assume there was a collective 'Scotland Yard view' on every issue, detectives were independently minded. We have the press to thank for that collective interpretation just from the way they report the news.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        18th or19th February 1891.

They're all pretty much the same.
        Thanks Simon. My feeling is that police fed this identification story to the Daily Telegraph and they syndicated it to other papers.

Comment

• Hi Scott,

Why do you feel that way?

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Hi Simon,

If, as you say, the other papers had pretty much as the same verbiage, it is likely they copied it from a common source. And the police at the time were busy with the Sadler investigation and didn't want to deal with meddlesome pressmen, so they gave a diversionary story out about an identification attempt. Just my theory.

Comment

• Hi Scott,

Whom were the police attempting to divert from what?

Simon

Comment

• The press from the Sadler investigation. Sadler's whereabouts weren't established until, if I remember correctly, early March of that year.

Comment

• Hi Scott,

South Wales Echo 18th February 1891 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	SOUTH WALES ECHO 18 FEB 1891 SADLER'S VOYAGES.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	742906

Stay safe.

Simon

Comment

• Thanks for this Simon. I wrote an article about it years ago, but couldn't remember the timeline very well.

Comment

Working...
                    X