No announcement yet.

Full notes on Charles Cross/Lechmere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all that info Lechmere...most helpful...having been a stepfather myself at 33 (twin girls of 14, boy of 12) I know just how bloody hard it can be...but I can't begin to think how daunting it'd be at just 23...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
      I checked a while back but I think a whole batch of metropolitan police records that correspond frustratingly with his period of service, is missing.
      I shall still keep an eye out for him though, and if something crops up, will let you know.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Here are a few documents
        Click image for larger version

Name:	charles allen birth.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	664179
        Charles Allen Lechmere's birth registry

Name:	cross mar.JPG
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	664180
        Thomas Cross's marriage registry

Name:	cross death.JPG
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	664181
        Thomas Cross's death registry (a bit blury)

Comment

Hi Lechmere,

During your research did you come across more information on Charles sister Emily Charlotte Lechmere. She was also "renamed" to Cross in the 1861 census and was 3 years older than Charles.

It would be interesting to see if she also reverted back to her birth name.

Do you think it's possible that Mary Jane Lechmere, the grandchild living with Maria Louisa in Pinchin Street was Emilys child?

Comment

A couple more - I've got to redo Charles Lechmere's marriage registry as it didn't come out well.

Name:	forsdike mar.JPG
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	664182
            Charles Lechmere's mother Maria's third marriage to Joseph Forsdike.

Name:	forsdike death.JPG
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	664183
            Joseph Forsdike's death registry.

Comment

Mary Jane was definately Charles Lechmere's child - she was registered as his anyway.
              His sister Emily is difficlut to trace - I have some leads that I am looking into.
              I am fairly certain she didn't call herself Cross though.

Thomas Cross's 1861 census entry is not very well compiled. It has his age wrong, his village and county are wrong I think, and his wife's children are listed as Cross when they should be Lechmere. Sloppy work that has caused confusion.

Comment

Know the problem Lechmere...there's an unrelated widow and (if I recall correctly) five kids transcribed as the wife and family of one of my (3 year old!) forebears in one particular census...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                  Mary Jane was definately Charles Lechmere's child - she was registered as his anyway.
                  His sister Emily is difficlut to trace - I have some leads that I am looking into.
                  I am fairly certain she didn't call herself Cross though.

Thomas Cross's 1861 census entry is not very well compiled. It has his age wrong, his village and county are wrong I think, and his wife's children are listed as Cross when they should be Lechmere. Sloppy work that has caused confusion.
                  Right as usual on Mary Jane...I have a copy of her marriage certificate in 1899 but still working out how to post images!

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                    Caz:

"I expect he told his wife all about it, and said "Don't worry, love, I used my work name - Cross - so nobody should pester you or our little Lechmeres about it"."

You ... EXPECT he did so?

WARNING - CONJECTURE - WARNING - CONJECTURE - WARNING - CONJECTURE - WARNING - CONJECTURE - WARNING

Or is this what "normal" people do? If you´re not sure, just have a guess ...

And now, let´s not spread non thread-related material here any more ...

The best,
                    Fisherman
                    Well done, Fish. You picked up on what 'expect' means, and you warned anyone who may have thought I was quoting Cross directly.

Onwards and upwards - or downwards, as the case may be.

Back to topic now - there's a clever boy.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                      Caz
                      For all you know I might be a naughty girl.
                      Conjecture warning!!!
                      You didn't look much like a girl last time I saw you, Lech.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Bumping the work of Chris Scott.

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                          Bumping the work of Chris Scott.

JM
                          Very timely. Thanks, JM.

MrB

Comment

• I've just converted and become a Lechmite.

Simply because me and old Charlie are 15th cousins 4 times removed.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• GUT,

If you had a mischievous streak (which of course you haven't ;-)) you could tell Fish you weren't happy with his promotion of your ancestor as JTR. Just for a laugh.

He missed the previous opportunity to enter the moral maze. It would be a shame for him to miss out again.

MrB
                              Last edited by MrBarnett; 11-19-2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                                GUT,

If you had a mischievous streak (which of course you haven't ;-)) you could tell Fish you weren't happy with his promotion of your ancestor as JTR. Just for a laugh.

He missed the previous opportunity to enter the moral maze. It would be a shame for him to miss out again.

MrB
                                Boy I'm not happy with you suggesting that I have a mischievous streak, but we are actually related a looooooooong way back. But I can go one better Monte's uncle baptised by Great Grandad and his Cousin served at the same church as Great Grandad's cousin, so there now all I need is a connection to Koz.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X