No announcement yet.

The Paris Torso Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For where I sit (in a lazy boy recliner in front of a football game) I think Steve might have been using the word 'await' as in 'anticipate', rather than 'suspend all discussion until'.

Many years ago Andrew Cook put the photo of the butchered Mary Kelly on the front cover of his book. Casebookers went ballistic on a thread questioning why Cook would think to do such a thing. I happened to be shopping in a Best Buy electronics store at the time and my cell phone rang. It was Andrew Cook wanting to explain himself. I didn't immediately come to that Casebook thread and say "hold on-important information incoming". I recorded our phone call and put it online. Not to end, but to add to the discussion. Books add to the discussion. Interviews can add to the discussion. I seriously doubt it was Steve's intention to suspend the discussion until Suzie's book comes out. That would be silly. Steve is not silly.

So perhaps this is just a case of misreading his statement and its intent.

JM

Comment

• Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      For where I sit (in a lazy boy recliner in front of a football game) I think Steve might have been using the word 'await' as in 'anticipate', rather than 'suspend all discussion until'.

Many years ago Andrew Cook put the photo of the butchered Mary Kelly on the front cover of his book. Casebookers went ballistic on a thread questioning why Cook would think to do such a thing. I happened to be shopping in a Best Buy electronics store at the time and my cell phone rang. It was Andrew Cook wanting to explain himself. I didn't immediately come to that Casebook thread and say "hold on-important information incoming". I recorded our phone call and put it online. Not to end, but to add to the discussion. Books add to the discussion. Interviews can add to the discussion. I seriously doubt it was Steve's intention to suspend the discussion until Suzie's book comes out. That would be silly. Steve is not silly.

JM
      That's exactly what was meant Jonathan.
      Just as many are awaiting the Updated A-Z

There was no intention to suggest debate should stop, only that the book would undoubtedly add to the debate on this topic.

Steve
      Last edited by Elamarna; 12-17-2023, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fiver View Post

In Homicides with Mutilation of the Victim's Body by Helina Hakkanen-Nyholm, the study concluded that "Two of the mutilations were offensive, i.e., the offender inflicted the mutilation in the course of the attack." The Torso murders were post-mortem dismemberment and so could not be what Hakkanen-Nyholm puts in the offensive category.
        You appear to be suggesting that the authors explain 'offensive dismemberment' as dismemberment taking place when the victim is alive, which is not what the authors state in the article.

They set the scene for you:

Homicides ending with corpse dismemberment are most commonly committed by a person close to, or at least acquainted with the victim and they are performed at the site of homicide, generally in the place inhabited by the victim, the perpetrator or shared by both.

They provide you with a clear and concise definition of 'defensive dismemberment':

The most common motive of dismemberment is an increased ease of concealing the victim of homicide. Dismemberment with such a motive in mind, as well as criminal mutilation aiming at hindering victim identification is defined as defensive mutilation

They go onto explain that the motive for 'offensive dismemberment' is entirely different:

Perpetrators governed by sexual motives mutilate the corpse in a way that does not raise any doubt as to their motivation, most commonly severing the genital organs or breasts. In some cases, the perpetrator pulls out abdominal organs through the disrupted genital tract.

Further on, they remind you of their terms: 'offensive dismemberment' and 'defensive dismemberment':

In some offensive and aggressive mutilations, the perpetrators additionally dismember the body driven by such motives as defensive mutilation, or – in other words – to remove the corpse or render identification of the victim impossible.

They conclude:

Homicides ending with corpse dismemberment are most commonly committed by a person close to, or at least acquainted with the victim.

The article is talking of post-mortem dismemberment with one exception: aggressive mutilation, which is explained as dismemberment being the cause of death.​ 'Offensive mutilation' is categorised separately from 'aggressive mutilation' and quite clearly those murders are 'homicides ending with corpse dismemberment' (as explained in the article).

In sum:

1) They are talking about 'homicides ending with corpse dismemberment', i.e. post mortem.

2) That includes both 'offensive' and 'defensive' mutilation.

3) 'Offensive' mutilation is defined as 'governed by sexual motives' and includes mutilation of the body other than dismemberment.

4) 'Defensive mutilation' is defined as 'aimed at hindering victim identification'.

5) The exception to post-mortem dismemberment is defined as 'aggressive' mutilation: homicides by dismemberment, or, in other words, by cases where severing of body parts is the cause of death. The authors make it clear that this form of mutilation is distinct from 'offensive mutilation'.

6) 'Offensive mutilation' is driven by sexual impulse/desire; 'defensive mutilation' is driven by rational choice. That is a very important distinction in the psychology underpinning these crimes.

Having said of all that, the study has its limitations with regard to the nature of this thread. It's a small sample size (23 victims). The aim is to explain the differing motives underpinning body dismemberment. It doesn't comment on progression or otherwise during a crime series.

Fortunately, we have this article to throw in to the pot, published in the 'Journal of Investigative Psychology and Offender Profiling', July 2023

(PDF) The significance of unusual acts in sexual homicide (researchgate.net)

The authors reach conclusions on the back of 762 cases of sexual murder.

They define 'unusual acts' as follows:

Such as carving on the victim, evisceration (i.e., removal of internal organs), skinning the victim, cannibalism and vampirism.

The authors go on to say:

Our findings show a strong relationship between body dismemberment, FOI and unusual acts. These extreme crime scene behaviours may just share a common theme: sadism.

​Despite a lack of research on unusual and extreme crime scene behaviours, the current study shows that these behaviours—although unusual—can be interpreted as a form of dismemberment.

This empirical study concludes that removal of limbs is closely related to the WM's known 'unusual acts' and they're driven by the same motive/psychology.

The important inference being: it is possible for a murder in a crime series to involve removal of limbs and another murder in the same crime series to not involve removal of limbs. The reason being that removal of limbs is not the only form of dismemberment, and a murderer in a crime series would fulfill the same desire by means of undertaking other forms of dismemberment, e.g. 'carving on the victim', evisceration, skinning the victim.

Comment

For where I sit (in a lazy boy recliner in front of a football game) I think Steve might have been using the word 'await' as in 'anticipate', rather than 'suspend all discussion until'.

JM

I took it the way it was meant, Steve is brilliant, so no questioning his intent, I agree.

("...football game"... you must be a Chargers fan then!)

Ha ha!

RD
          "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

("...football game"... you must be a Chargers fan then!)

Ha ha!

RD
            No. The Chargers have no fans.

JM

Comment

No. The Chargers have no fans.

JM
              lol. i actually feel bad for fans of teams like the chargers, bills and vikings. no matter how good of a team they have, or how good of quarterbacks theyve had(and theyve all had/ have great qbs) they still just cant find a way to break through and win consistantly. theyve never won the superbowl, eventhough they have come tantalizingly close many times. they are snakebit teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post

You appear to be suggesting that the authors explain 'offensive dismemberment' as dismemberment taking place when the victim is alive, which is not what the authors state in the article.

They set the scene for you:

Homicides ending with corpse dismemberment are most commonly committed by a person close to, or at least acquainted with the victim and they are performed at the site of homicide, generally in the place inhabited by the victim, the perpetrator or shared by both.

They provide you with a clear and concise definition of 'defensive dismemberment':

The most common motive of dismemberment is an increased ease of concealing the victim of homicide. Dismemberment with such a motive in mind, as well as criminal mutilation aiming at hindering victim identification is defined as defensive mutilation

They go onto explain that the motive for 'offensive dismemberment' is entirely different:

Perpetrators governed by sexual motives mutilate the corpse in a way that does not raise any doubt as to their motivation, most commonly severing the genital organs or breasts. In some cases, the perpetrator pulls out abdominal organs through the disrupted genital tract.

Further on, they remind you of their terms: 'offensive dismemberment' and 'defensive dismemberment':

In some offensive and aggressive mutilations, the perpetrators additionally dismember the body driven by such motives as defensive mutilation, or – in other words – to remove the corpse or render identification of the victim impossible.

They conclude:

Homicides ending with corpse dismemberment are most commonly committed by a person close to, or at least acquainted with the victim.

The article is talking of post-mortem dismemberment with one exception: aggressive mutilation, which is explained as dismemberment being the cause of death.​ 'Offensive mutilation' is categorised separately from 'aggressive mutilation' and quite clearly those murders are 'homicides ending with corpse dismemberment' (as explained in the article).

In sum:

1) They are talking about 'homicides ending with corpse dismemberment', i.e. post mortem.

2) That includes both 'offensive' and 'defensive' mutilation.

3) 'Offensive' mutilation is defined as 'governed by sexual motives' and includes mutilation of the body other than dismemberment.

4) 'Defensive mutilation' is defined as 'aimed at hindering victim identification'.

5) The exception to post-mortem dismemberment is defined as 'aggressive' mutilation: homicides by dismemberment, or, in other words, by cases where severing of body parts is the cause of death. The authors make it clear that this form of mutilation is distinct from 'offensive mutilation'.

6) 'Offensive mutilation' is driven by sexual impulse/desire; 'defensive mutilation' is driven by rational choice. That is a very important distinction in the psychology underpinning these crimes.

Having said of all that, the study has its limitations with regard to the nature of this thread. It's a small sample size (23 victims). The aim is to explain the differing motives underpinning body dismemberment. It doesn't comment on progression or otherwise during a crime series.

Fortunately, we have this article to throw in to the pot, published in the 'Journal of Investigative Psychology and Offender Profiling', July 2023

(PDF) The significance of unusual acts in sexual homicide (researchgate.net)

The authors reach conclusions on the back of 762 cases of sexual murder.

Such as carving on the victim, evisceration (i.e., removal of internal organs), skinning the victim, cannibalism and vampirism.

The authors go on to say:

Our findings show a strong relationship between body dismemberment, FOI and unusual acts. These extreme crime scene behaviours may just share a common theme: sadism.

​Despite a lack of research on unusual and extreme crime scene behaviours, the current study shows that these behaviours—although unusual—can be interpreted as a form of dismemberment.

This empirical study concludes that removal of limbs is closely related to the WM's known 'unusual acts' and they're driven by the same motive/psychology.

The important inference being: it is possible for a murder in a crime series to involve removal of limbs and another murder in the same crime series to not involve removal of limbs. The reason being that removal of limbs is not the only form of dismemberment, and a murderer in a crime series would fulfill the same desire by means of undertaking other forms of dismemberment, e.g. 'carving on the victim', evisceration, skinning the victim.
                In your opinion which torso cases and which WM cases fall into these categories please?

Comment

And that commonsense difference--fully appreciated by James Monro back in 1889, despite what you and Christer seem to believe--is precisely why Monro rejected the Pinchin Street case as the work of the 'Ripper.'

To quote the man himself:

"There is no mutilation as in previous cases, altho' there is dismemberment. There is no evisceration. There is no removal of any portion of the organs of generation or intestines. The murder was indubitably committed neither in the street, nor in the victim's house, but probably in the lodging of the murderer. Here where there was as in the previous cases of murder in a house, plenty of time at the disposal of the murderer, there is no sign of frenzied mutilation of the body, but of deliberate & skillful dismemberment with a view to removal."

"With a few to removal."

Helina Hakkanen-Nyholm couldn't have written it better herself.

In other words, despite the murderer having all the time in the world, he made no attack on the abdomen or the genitals, etc., even though this was his apparent focus in Mitre Square, in Hanbury Street, in Miller's Court, etc..

Here the murderer's motive appears to be entirely different.

As for the cut down the midsection Monro writes:

"The inner coating of the bowel is hardly touched, and the termination of the cut towards the vagina looks almost as if the knife had slipped, and as if this portion of the wound had been accidental. The whole of the wound looks as if the murderer had intended to make a cut in prepatory to removing the intestines in the process of dismemberment, & had then changed his mind."

Does anyone truly think the Ripper, having hours at his disposal, would have made such a vague attempt at the victim's vagina that it could be interpreted as an accidental 'slip'? Look again at the Kelly photo and claim that this is a rational conclusion.

As I see it, Dr. Helina Hakkanen-Nyholm's observations dovetail perfectly with the observations made by James Monro back in 1889, and do not support, as is being implied or claimed, the idea that the injuries to the Pinchin Street victim demonstrate the same underlying 'sexual' motive as in the 'Ripper' cases.

Christer is forced to ignore this and instead veers his analysis over to an entirely different case, such as that of Elizabeth Jackson, though I hasten to add that that case adds its own difficulties to Christer's theories. ​

Or if not entirely ignore it, come up with the strange idea of a 'hybrid' to avoid facing the reality that no sexual mutilations had been attempted.

One other point. Christer further writes of the Pinchin Street case:

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                  It even made the police speculate that it was a case of the Torso killer trying to emulate the the Rippers work!
                  The previous statement by Monro shows that that is not the case, and Christer is misusing the word 'emulate.'

What Monro actually wrote, as an alternative theory to his previous observations, is:

"It may also be that the gash was inflicted to give rise to the impression that this case was the work of the Whitechapel Murderer..."

Monro is clearly not saying that the Pinchin Street murderer was "emulating" the Ripper (which means to meet or exceed his behaviors) but to counterfeit the Ripper, with the strictly analytical motive of throwing the police off the scent.

Personally, I suspect that Monro just threw this out as a 'spitball' possibility---he had already given his own primary reasoning at greater length.

All in all, I think it is really poor form, investigatively speaking, to take two very different case (the Kelly murder and the Pinchin Street case) and then to try to link them to the same perpetrator by interjecting a third case (say, Elizabeth Jackson).

From all that I have read, murder squad detectives consciously avoid this sort of thing because it only leads to wrong interpretations and false assumptions and, at its worse, pinning the crime on the wrong person.
                  Last edited by rjpalmer; 12-17-2023, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• I have just read your comments, Roger, which I found very interesting.

By coincidence, I was reading only minutes before that Monro and Swanson were of the opinion that the Pinchin Street victim's throat had not been cut prior to death.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                      I have just read your comments, Roger, which I found very interesting.

By coincidence, I was reading only minutes before that Monro and Swanson were of the opinion that the Pinchin Street victim's throat had not been cut prior to death.
                      Monro seems to be theorizing that the Pinchin Street murderer had intended to disembowel the victim as part of his 'removal' but then either lost his nerve or thought better of it.

It's hard to imagine the person who murdered Chapman, Eddowes, or Kelly having any such hesitation or qualms.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

And that commonsense difference--fully appreciated by James Monro back in 1889, despite what you and Christer seem to believe--is precisely why Monro rejected the Pinchin Street case as the work of the 'Ripper.'

"There is no mutilation as in previous cases, altho' there is dismemberment. There is no evisceration. There is no removal of any portion of the organs of generation or intestines. The murder was indubitably committed neither in the street, nor in the victim's house, but probably in the lodging of the murderer. Here where there was as in the previous cases of murder in a house, plenty of time at the disposal of the murderer, there is no sign of frenzied mutilation of the body, but of deliberate & skillful dismemberment with a view to removal."

"With a few to removal."

In other words, despite the murderer having all the time in the world, he made no attack on the abdomen or the genitals, etc., even though this was his apparent focus in Mitre Square, in Hanbury Street, in Miller's Court, etc..

"The inner coating of the bowel is hardly touched, and the termination of the cut towards the vagina looks almost as if the knife had slipped, and as if this portion of the wound had been accidental. The whole of the wound looks as if the murderer had intended to make a cut in prepatory to removing the intestines in the process of dismemberment, & had then changed his mind."

Does anyone truly think the Ripper, having hours at his disposal, would have made such a vague attempt at the victim's vagina that it could be interpreted as an accidental 'slip'? Look again at the Kelly photo and claim that this is a rational conclusion.

As I see it, Dr. Helina Hakkanen-Nyholm's observations dovetail perfectly with the observations made by James Monro back in 1889, and do not support, as is being implied or claimed, the idea that the injuries to the Pinchin Street victim demonstrate the same underlying 'sexual' motive as in the 'Ripper' cases.

Christer is forced to ignore this and instead veers his analysis over to an entirely different case, such as that of Elizabeth Jackson, though I hasten to add that that case adds its own difficulties to Christer's theories. ​

Or if not entirely ignore it, come up with the strange idea of a 'hybrid' to avoid facing the reality that no sexual mutilations had been attempted.

The previous statement by Monro shows that that is not the case, and Christer is misusing the word 'emulate.'

What Monro actually wrote, as an alternative theory to his previous observations, is:

"It may also be that the gash was inflicted to give rise to the impression that this case was the work of the Whitechapel Murderer..."

Monro is clearly not saying that the Pinchin Street murderer was "emulating" the Ripper (which means to meet or exceed his behaviors) but to counterfeit the Ripper, with the strictly analytical motive of throwing the police off the scent.

Personally, I suspect that Monro just threw this out as a 'spitball' possibility---he had already given his own primary reasoning at greater length.

All in all, I think it is really poor form, investigatively speaking, to take two very different case (the Kelly murder and the Pinchin Street case) and then to try to link them to the same perpetrator by interjecting a third case (say, Elizabeth Jackson).

From all that I have read, murder squad detectives consciously avoid this sort of thing because it only leads to wrong interpretations and false assumptions and, at its worse, pinning the crime on the wrong person.
                        Very good post, RJ.

I too have argued that the mention of the gash being preparatory to dismemberment invalidates the claim that the Torso killer was an eviscerator or postmortem mutilator or whatever.

Comment

The limitation bound up with 'common sense' is that it is subject to personal bias and it's ambiguous. The articles I posted are based on observation and experience, as opposed to some abstract notion such as 'common sense'.

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

"With a few to removal."
                          When you say 'believe', I think the issue is more one of approach. I've done you the courtesy of summarising your post; most of it revolves around a policeman from 1888 or 1889 or whatever. The police had very little information to guide them. That's why I believe the most recent research carries more weight: they've looked at various sexual serial murders and drawn conclusions from that observation, unlike Munro who was imagining what was possible based on virtually no experience. Call it theory (Monro's).

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

I posted this in the post (217) to which you replied, from a study of 762 cases of sexual murder:

​Interesting? Or is Monro with no experience to guide him, a commentator carrying more weight?

The victim's abdomen was mutilated.

Comment

'Jack The Ripper' doesn't get his just desserts by and large. He is romanticised like some master criminal slipping in and out of the shadows, fooling the police and operating as a skilled, swift hunter. The reality is that these were brutal, evil crimes inflicted upon people in a vulnerable position and he's not going to be any different from the other brutal, evil murderers who get locked up for life because they're a menace to society. 'Nothing special about him, 'certainly shouldn't be romanticised, and none of these sexual serial murders are 'skilled, swift hunters' or particularly intelligent: they prey on weaker/vulnerable targets and then commit the most brutal of crimes.

My hunch is that some people wouldn't want him to be a person who dismembered some victims. That wouldn't conform to the romanticised version.
                            I agree completely with your first paragraph, but your last sentence doesn't make sense. The Ripper mutilated women, hacked out their organs, and posed those organs near their bodies. I don't know of anyone who would consider that romantic.

The Ripper persona is the creation of the newsmen to sell papers. The real killer was an impulsive risk taker who probably barely escaped being caught in the Nichols, Stride, and Eddowes murders, and whose escape was due to luck, not cunning. Luck no doubt played a part in the Torso Killer not being caught, but he took a lot less risks than the Ripper.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

"With a few to removal."

yes lots of good points. some of which i have also pointed out..mainly it seems like if they were the same man, the torso victims would have more evisceration. But at least munro also noticed the similarity of the vertical gash to the midsection. and of course failed to understand the significance of the body being left in ripper territory.
                              Last edited by Abby Normal; 12-17-2023, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                                Very good post, RJ.

I too have argued that the mention of the gash being preparatory to dismemberment invalidates the claim that the Torso killer was an eviscerator or postmortem mutilator or whatever.
                                he was mainly a dismemberer, but he was also most definitely a post mortem mutilator.

Comment

Working...
                                X