A New Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Theory

I was reading the Kelly inquest transcripts and was struck by the fact that Millers Court, although not a brothel per se, seemed to have its fair share of prostitutes. If Jack became aware of this, say by overhearing a conversation in a pub or some other means, perhaps he was scouting Millers Court that night. Could he have been seen by Mary looking through her window? Or she might have opened her door to check the weather before venturing out. Realizing that he is a customer, she invites him in. This could explain a number of things such as:

1. Why none of her neighbors hears her dressing and making preparations to go out.
    2. Why she is in a chemise. She fell asleep wearing it after entertaining Blotchy Face.
    3. Why she would bring a stanger back to her room. It would make no sense for her to get dressed to go out to service Jack when he was right there.
    4. Why her clothes were not wet.

It's just a theory...what do you think?

c.d.

Not a bad idea at all, CD!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      Not a bad idea at all, CD!
      Why thank you, Ben.

c.d.

Comment

This could also explain why her clothes were folded as well...she folded them before going to sleep and does not dress again before inviting Jack in.

Hey this just keeps getting better and better.

c.d.

Comment

Hi cd,

Yes, Kelly could have invited her attacker into her home. I think that is the way it went down in the movie "A Study In Terror" It could explain alot. However it is not the theory that I believe.

Your friend, Brad

Comment

If Jack was looking through her window, it suggests that other people could have done so too. I have often wondered how, if there was such a fierce fire in Mary's room that it burnt the spout off a kettle, why didn't it throw light out into the Court and drawn attention? There didn't seem to be a heavy curtain in front of the window, so why didn't someone see Jack at work by the light of that fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
              If Jack was looking through her window, it suggests that other people could have done so too. I have often wondered how, if there was such a fierce fire in Mary's room that it burnt the spout off a kettle, why didn't it throw light out into the Court and drawn attention? There didn't seem to be a heavy curtain in front of the window, so why didn't someone see Jack at work by the light of that fire?

Elementary my dear Limehouse, there was no fierce fire. or at least the ripper did not cause a fierce fire.

Your friend, Brad

Comment

I have wondered whether he followed Sarah Lewis there, and not being able grab her, happened to notice Mary's broken window. The close was the sort of place he might find attractive, like Dutfield's, or #29 Hanbury. Alternately, he might have spotted Prater, or any other woman, enter the Court, and followed.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                  I have wondered whether he followed Sarah Lewis there, and not being able grab her, happened to notice Mary's broken window. The close was the sort of place he might find attractive, like Dutfield's, or #29 Hanbury. Alternately, he might have spotted Prater, or any other woman, enter the Court, and followed.
                  I also have considered the possibility that the ripper may have followed Lewis into the area. However if that was the case I still believe that he met Kelly outside her room.

Your friend, Brad

Comment

I believe its likely that Kelly and JtR met as she was standing in the archway to Millers Court.

JtR is scouting for prostitutes. Prostitutes work that street by the dozen. Kelly is drunk, its raining, she stands in the arch entranceway just as Prater had done earlier. Kelly is using the archway much the same way as gals in Amsterdam work the street windows. She is showing off the goods(perhaps even a bit of leg) as JtR passes.

This also accounts for much of the clothing issues mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                      I believe its likely that Kelly and JtR met as she was standing in the archway to Millers Court.

JtR is scouting for prostitutes. Prostitutes work that street by the dozen. Kelly is drunk, its raining, she stands in the arch entranceway just as Prater had done earlier. Kelly is using the archway much the same way as gals in Amsterdam work the street windows. She is showing off the goods(perhaps even a bit of leg) as JtR passes.

This also accounts for much of the clothing issues mentioned above.
                      Jason & Ben, I can see this, too. It would have been after Lewis passed through.

With the rain, I can see JTR suspecting that Lewis is headed indoors and following her, hoping to slip in with her, if possible.
                      Last edited by Celesta; 05-13-2008, 02:07 AM.
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                        Hello Limehouse

As Brad suggests, how about the killer put the clothes on the fire to kill the blaze, affording him some safety in the darkness ?

Comment

Hi C.D.

Well what you have posted in quite interesting...anyway, Whitechapel at that time was full of brothels, so I'm still wandering why the Ripper planned a murder in a very risky location as 13 Miller's Court. Miller's Court in itself was a sort of cul-de-sac, offering no way out if discovered red handed (something possible considering al the persons that passed in front of Mary's room that night). So why the Ripper murdered Kelly? She was also far much young that the other Canonical Victims...

This is something that deserves further investigations in my opinion,

Take care,
                          Antonio

Comment

Hi Antonio,

Welcome to the boards. Visiting a brothel would most likely result in witnesses who could identify him so I don't think that was ever a viable option. I also think that Jack was willing to take some risks if he could have uninterrupted time to be with his victim. As to Mary's age, my personal opinion is that that was not a factor in her being selected, it was simply that she had a room of her own.

c.d.

Comment

According to Thomas Bowyer (see P. 411 in JTR Companion/Sourcebook, or his testimony in the inquest) there was a curtain over the window, and he had to pull the curtain aside to see in, the morning he discovered her. So is there a reason to assume that JTR could just stare into her window? Perhaps he was in the Court and saw the curtain ripple due to a gust of wind or something, or for some it caught his eye. Knowing prostitutes lived in the Court, perhaps he chanced a peak and saw a lone woman lying on the bed.

Antonio, Welcome to the Casebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X