A New Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Detective Abberline,
    You ask the question 'Did Mjk bring men back to room 13 the weeks leading up to her death?
    Three different opinions here.
    Mrs Cox told her neice 'She [ kelly] was always bringing men back to her room, mostly sailors, with a bottle of gin under her arm'.
    My reaction....if that was the case it could only have been since october 30 when Barnett left, and some of those nights were spent with her sleepovers, Mrs Harvey etc..
    Another witness stated[ name escapes me] 'It was not her custom to invite men back'
    My reaction... I believe that.
    If you remember it has been documented that her ex landlady mentioned that not long before her death she brought a strange man to her door and asked if they could spent the night.
    My reaction... that would indicate that Mrs Coxs observations were false, and for some reason on the eve of her death Mary had major reasons for her change of habit..
    Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
      Hi Detective Abberline,
      You ask the question 'Did Mjk bring men back to room 13 the weeks leading up to her death?
      Three different opinions here.
      Mrs Cox told her neice 'She [ kelly] was always bringing men back to her room, mostly sailors, with a bottle of gin under her arm'.
      My reaction....if that was the case it could only have been since october 30 when Barnett left, and some of those nights were spent with her sleepovers, Mrs Harvey etc..
      Another witness stated[ name escapes me] 'It was not her custom to invite men back'
      My reaction... I believe that.
      If you remember it has been documented that her ex landlady mentioned that not long before her death she brought a strange man to her door and asked if they could spent the night.
      My reaction... that would indicate that Mrs Coxs observations were false, and for some reason on the eve of her death Mary had major reasons for her change of habit..
      Regards Richard.
      Hi Richard. I agree with your 1st 2 points. The last I'm not too certain about. Can you be more specific?

Comment

Hi Richard,
        Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
        If you remember it has been documented that her ex landlady mentioned that not long before her death she brought a strange man to her door
        ...the landlady (Mrs Carthy of Breezer's Hill) actually stated that this incident had occurred "some short time ago" - now, that's not quite the same as saying "not long before her death". Given that just under two years had elapsed since Kelly had lodged with Mrs Carthy, what her ex-landlady preceived as "some short time ago" might have represented a matter of a few, or even several, months.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
          That's a very interesting theory.Maybe McCarthy was acting as a sort of pimp taking a cut of everything they earned?

Good one
          Hi Belinda,

I wonder if this was why he let her go so long without paying the rent. She was working it off? I.E. he was already taking a cut of her earnings, as you suggest.
          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
            I have a similar theory myself.

Considering how late at night it was and the weather, I believe it likely that Kelly was watching out for clients under the archway entrance to Millers Court. She was standing there as JtR walked past travelling through Dorset Street. Sam Flynn mentioned once that Prater had done the same thing that very night. We see prostitutes using similar behaviour in places like Amsterdam today - except instead of an archway they use windows in brothels.

Hi Jason,

Yes, your theory makes a lot of sense too. It would appear that we now have three theories:
            1. Mary's killer came to her room;
            2. Mary went out in the street to solicit business;
            3. Mary looked out her door or stood in the archway and saw Jack and invited him in.

It is interesting that theory three helps resolve some of the differences between the other theories.

c.d.

Comment

The way I see it - and I'm just projecting myself into her position here - but Mary would have been very protective of her home ie what was hers. She knew what kind of life a homeless prostitute led. I can't see her jeopardising that by bringing her work home. I still struggle with the idea of Jack casing the place but perhaps if it was late, she had a ground floor flat with no security and he was walking by - saw her passed out on her bed, he broke in and somehow avoided detection. Still if this was the case, he was taking a hell of a risk. But maybe if the guy had been living there before (and I don't necessarily mean Barnett), people thought his presence was normal and ignored it?

Comment

Hi Sasha,

Keep in mind that in order to protect her home, Mary had to pay her rent which was in arrears. She no longer could count on financial support from Barnett. By offering a customer a room with a bed, she could charge more money than she could by servicing customers in the street.

c.d.

Comment

Hi all,
                  People who are as drunk as Mary is supposed to have been do not fold their clothes neatly at the bottom of their bed...they throw them off and lay back and go to sleep where they land!
                  Just from general coming and goings day to day,people must have seen the users of Room 13 apply the window trick...somebody reaching through an open window must surely catch the eye of people around...yet nobody at all tells the police of this method?
                  Something else.. Mary is drinking with Julia and Danny on the evening of her murder...if this Danny be Daniel Barnett and Joe is Mary's murderer,it would explain how he knows Mary is alone in the room....he has a lookout to signal from Julia's window when the coast is clear.Danny could also ensure Mary is drunk enough to be an easier target for Joe,than the fiery opponant she was when they had fought previously.
                  Just a thought that ocurred to me,probably wrong, but I'll throw it into the mix anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha View Post
                    The way I see it - and I'm just projecting myself into her position here - but Mary would have been very protective of her home ie what was hers. She knew what kind of life a homeless prostitute led. I can't see her jeopardising that by bringing her work home. I still struggle with the idea of Jack casing the place but perhaps if it was late, she had a ground floor flat with no security and he was walking by - saw her passed out on her bed, he broke in and somehow avoided detection. Still if this was the case, he was taking a hell of a risk. But maybe if the guy had been living there before (and I don't necessarily mean Barnett), people thought his presence was normal and ignored it?
                    Sasha, Mary Kelly was an alcoholic. Keeping clients out of her home would not have been her top priority in my opinion. She had done a runner with Barnett from her previous residence. She was losing keys, smashing windows, allowing others to use her room, and was in arrears with her rent. This does not sound like a person overly concerned with her privacy or as someone who views 13 Millers Court as her long term living quarters.

Her room was just as likely to have been a place where she had a bed and could keep relatively warm. This "Englishwoman's" home was not her castle.

Comment

Hello Jason!

Yes, that's the case!

And yet she kept herself as "The Gal With No Name". Even Joe Barnett didn't know about the letter she got from Ireland. Obviously shen burnt in in the fireplace...

Anna, a longtime-drunkard can be sometimes suprisingly punctual! But the main thing; your thought is as good as any. But likely, had that been the plan, obviously some of the would have talked something sooner or later... They were friends of Bacchus too, you know!

All the best
                      Jukka
                      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                      X