No announcement yet.

Exhumation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading a dissertation on here where they said they were able to pinpoint Mary's burial location to within three feet. I can't understand how that would mean rooting through up to 400 corpses. Those investigators hired by Cornwell make it seem like they plowed up the whole cemetery and planted a whole new crop of bodies. I don't doubt that some of the caskets were compromised and remains dropping and shifting onto other remains but nothing more serious than that. Do you think they might be a little reticent after finding out that King Richard III had presumably a common butcher in his lineage?

Comment

Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
      ....so, for all intensive purposes
      I'd heard of this grammatical error being out in the wild, but this is the first time I've actually seen it. Another one for the collection.

Apologies for adding nothing constructive to the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by PRB View Post

I'd heard of this grammatical error being out in the wild, but this is the first time I've actually seen it. Another one for the collection.

Apologies for adding nothing constructive to the discussion.
        Is it a grammatical error?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Is it a grammatical error?
          its an unintentional misnomer (or misphraser?) that nonetheless is not a grammatical error. Purposes can be intensive.
          however, the phrase/cliché started out as "for all intents and purposes".

I beleive mixing these two up is referred to a mondegreen? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

its an unintentional misnomer (or misphraser?) that nonetheless is not a grammatical error. Purposes can be intensive.
            however, the phrase/cliché started out as "for all intents and purposes".

I beleive mixing these two up is referred to a mondegreen? lol
            Or a malapropism, perhaps?

Comment

that's it lol

Comment

Then allow me to correct myself, including the missed verb (cell phone problem) and say:

For all intents and purposes, Mary Kelly is English, or Welsh.

Is a malapropism a sign of intelligence or lack of it?

Comment

Indeed. A mondegreen specifically applies to misheard lyrics; the term "mondegreen" itself comes from the Scottish song, The Bonny Earl o' Moray, in which the refrain "They have slain the Earl o' Moray, and laid him on the green" was often misheard as "They have slain the Earl o' Moray, and Lady Mondegreen".

Two mondegreens of my own childhood were that well-known Beatles song Ollie Beak Is Love, and the "rich miller" who turns up to say "No! We will not let you go!" in Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                    Indeed. A mondegreen specifically applies to misheard lyrics; the term "mondegreen" itself comes from the Scottish song, The Bonny Earl o' Moray, in which the refrain "They have slain the Earl o' Moray, and laid him on the green" was often misheard as "They have slain the Earl o' Moray, and Lady Mondegreen".

Two mondegreens of my own childhood were that well-known Beatles song Ollie Beak Is Love, and the "rich miller" who turns up to say "No! We will not let you go!" in Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.
                    Surely you’re not old enough to know who Ollie Beak was.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
                      Then allow me to correct myself, including the missed verb (cell phone problem) and say:

For all intents and purposes, Mary Kelly is English, or Welsh.

Is a malapropism a sign of intelligence or lack of it?
                      Its a warning: Beware Rabbit Holes.

Comment

Surely you're not old enough to know who Ollie Beak was.
                        I'm afraid so, Gary, although I was only about 4 or 5 when he was in his heyday. I also rembember Pogles' Wood, so I must've been a proper telly addict back then
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I'm afraid so, Gary, although I was only about 4 or 5 when he was in his heyday. I also rembember Pogles' Wood, so I must've been a proper telly addict back then
                          I still think of him as a newbie - ***** Cat Willum being Aunty Mu’s original pal.

I have a great grandad, a great aunt and, I would imagine, other family members buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery. I’ve no idea whether any of them are in the area that would be disturbed in any attempt to exhume MJK.

Comment

Sam,

you’re a weapon of mass instruction!

PS For all intensive purposes, descent into a Rabbit Hole is a prerequisite.

Comment

The Beatles - Ticket To Ride. Closes with the unforgettable refrain of " my baby donkey"
                              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Good morning Trapper,

Exhumation is not feasible and is not going to happen under any circumstances. You may have read otherwise in a dissertation here but there are errors in some of them.

The short answer to your question about Exhumation is what folks told me when I first came to Casebook in 2008, this has already been discussed. It was discussed at some point since 2008. I'll be darned if I could find it, there are some 49 pages of Mary Kelly threads alone. But yes I remember it. Bonafide experts who used to post here, really top people who know Ripper lore and are knowledgeable in East End history discussed the impossibility of it.

Without question, there have been more burials in that section since 1888. On top of previous ones. It is absolutely impossible to locate her remains. And this was all known, discussed in full and put to bed - well before the Cornwell and Richard III studies.

Also, the authorities would never ever give their blessing for this to happen. It's not gonna happen. There is another factor: Recently the modern community of East London has requested for instance the entire Tower Hamlets Cemetery be plowed over or however they do that, then start over fresh with a brand new cemetery, because the new residents need a place to bury their loved ones. To raise the specter of digging up a portion of an East London cemetery is verbotten.

And besides, there is nothing to compare Mary Jane Kelly's DNA to. Certainly not using one of those new databases which may contain Joe Fleming's DNA line (or maybe not) nor anything at all like that. Why do it? It would not solve a crime.

Roy
                                Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 11-02-2019, 05:21 PM.
                                Sink the Bismark

Comment

Working...
                                X