Another Joe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Richard,

There can be little doubt that Joseph Fleming was Kelly’s “ex” AND the individual referred to by both Barnett and Venturney at the inquest. Both witnesses spoke of Kelly being “fond” of this other Joe, and the very similar wording suggests very strongly that they were referring to the same person. We know that Fleming/Evans took a downward spiral in terms of his occupation, downgrading from a mason’s plasterer to a docker (in 1889 at the earliest), and it’s perfectly possible that he did other odd jobs, such as costermongering, in between.

“Its all very well suggesting that the height was a error, but we have no proof, so must go by the records, until proven otherwise.”
    Well no, the best approach is to assess whether or not the records make sense, which they clearly don’t. It is scarcely possible to be 6’7” (astonishingly tall in 1888), an emaciated 11 stone in weight, and yet still be described as in "good" bodily health. The record is most probably in error. We know that it was wrong on other points, such as age, which was incorrectly listed as 37. Indeed, Debs’ recent suggestion that Fleming was 67 inches (i.e. 5’7”) is very persuasive, in my opinion.

I wouldn’t get carried away with the idea that 11 stone and 5’7” equals unusually heavy for a poor person. Martha Tabram and Annie Chapman were living in extremely impoverished circumstances at the time of their deaths, but both were on the fleshy side.

“Yet clearly they had parted before Barnett met Mary on the 7TH April 1887, so one of them had grown tired of the other before that meeting.”
    I wouldn’t assume that. There could have been any number of reasons for Fleming and Kelly parting company that didn’t involve one “getting tired” of the other. We know that this other Joe was reported to have ill-used Kelly, and if domestic violence was a major factor in Kelly and Fleming’s cohabitation, this could well have prompted her to abandon the relationship. That doesn’t mean she stopped being “fond” of him. In such a case, there would be nothing remotely strange about them meeting up subsequently, with him taking steps to win her back. That’s just one example of a plausible reason for Fleming continuing his interest in Kelly. There are no doubt others.

It should have been established beyond reasonable doubt, incidentally, that Fleming/Evans was the man who had a relationship with Kelly. The Joseph Fleming at the inquest was described as a mason’s plasterer with Bethnal Green connections, and Fleming/Evans is the only person who fits that bill, as he does perfectly.

All the best,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 01-04-2012, 05:39 AM.

Comment

“Virtually every detail Kelly told Barnett about herself cannot be substantiated and seems to have been coloured.”
      But Lechmere, Kelly’s story of a mason’s plasterer from Bethnal Green called Joseph Fleming just happened to tie in precisely with a real individual. Surely that would be an epic “coincidence” if Kelly made the whole thing up? The fact that we know of a real mason’s plasterer from Bethnal Green called Joseph Fleming is more than enough to “substantiate Barnett’s story". The offerings of Mrs. McCarthy and Julia Venturney are obviously more scant on detail, but it is nonetheless clear that they were referring to the same person – Joseph Fleming from the building trade, of whom Kelly was ostensibly “fond”.

“This guy was living in the Victoria Home for periods between 1889 and 1892 and was sent to an insane asylum after being taken i by the police and giving a false name. However his true identity soon came to light.”
      Presumably because he had no particular incentive to conceal it at that stage. That doesn’t mean he could not have sustained the persona of “James Evans” had he wished to, and very successfully at that, given the inability of the 1888 authorities to check people out as thoroughly as you appear to imagine they could. You say that the police would have “wanted” to track down Joseph Fleming, and I’m sure they did. But it’s one thing to want something, and quite another to actually get it. I’m equally sure they “wanted” to apprehend the Whitechapel murderer.

With regard to your assertion that “inmates were frequently skinny and undernourished yet routinely listed as being in good health”, I’m afraid I must call your bluff and ask for some sort of substantiation for this. I’d be amazed if you found many other height-to-weight ratios that rival Fleming's in extremity. Malnutrition doesn’t necessarily equate to skinniness anyway, as the Tabram and Chapman examples illustrate.

“Even if he could not be located in November 1888 as he was living anonymously somewhere – perhaps under a false name – then they would have tracked him down when he was carted off by the police to the City of London Workhouse Infirmary in 1892.”
      And done what?

Asked him to provide four-year-old alibis for the murder times? Dead end there, methinks. Ask him if was Kelly’s boyfriend? How would any answer given, whether truthfully or otherwise, enable the investigation to progress? We need to be realistic with this “checking out” business. Even if the police did have Fleming on their radar and knew that he was Kelly's former boyfriend, any further progress in terms of determining his murder culpability was practically impossible.

“I will caution against trying to suggest he was living under a false name in November 1888 as the evidence suggests otherwise.”
      And in turn, I must re-caution against dismissing such a credible suggestion for bad reasons. Contrary to your assertion, we have no evidence that he was “known” as Joseph Fleming in the Victoria Home; only that he gave his true name and place of residence to Whitechapel infirmary authorities. Certainly there is no reason to suppose that fellow lodgers knew him by his true name, assuming he ever socialized with them.

All the best,
      Ben
      Last edited by Ben; 01-04-2012, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
        Contrary to your assertion, we have no evidence that he was “known” as Joseph Fleming in the Victoria Home; only that he gave his true name and place of residence to Whitechapel infirmary authorities. Certainly there is no reason to suppose that fellow lodgers knew him by his true name, assuming he ever socialized with them.

Ben
        Hi Ben

that's a very important point. The timing of Fleming's arrival in Whitechapel inclines me to believe he have used an alias in the VH (this assuming he was the killer, of course, in which case he obviously started dossing in Whitechapel in order to kill in that area).

Bestest my dear

Comment

neighbourhood

Hello David. Was Bethnal Green unsuitable because it was less run down than Whitechapel? Fewer prostitutes?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

candid you, candid me

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello David. Was Bethnal Green unsuitable because it was less run down than Whitechapel? Fewer prostitutes?

Cheers.
            LC
            Hello Lynn. Dunno what ya talking about.

Cheers.
            DVV

Comment

Hi Lynn,

If Fleming was the killer, he may well have selected an area that was far enough away from his primary stomping ground to reduce the risk of being recognised by friends and acquaintances, whilst at the same time being close enough to be familiar with. It is also possible that he sought closer residential proximity to Kelly.

All the best,
              Ben

Comment

Lynn, je t'aime bien mais faudrait songer à arrêter de nous prendre pour des cons.
                Merci d'avance.

Comment

venue

Hello David. Just wondering why he would decide to kill in Whitechapel.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

thanks

Hello Ben. I see.

Thanks.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

no bloody idiot intended

Hello David. No, I do not take you for that. Just trying to understand.

Actually, Ben answered my question above.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Lynn, I forgive you because you could teach me Latin.

Comment

Here is Lynn teaching Latin. A hard taskmaster, but fair.

The scene of Monty Python's movie "Life Of Brian" where Brian is given a latin lesson. Great film, genius team!!!SubtitleCENTURION: What's this, then? 'Roman...

Comment

argumentum ad baculum

Hello David, Robert. You haven't seen my baculus yet. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Working...
                            X