Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millers Court residents in Whitechapel Infirmary (recovered thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millers Court residents in Whitechapel Infirmary (recovered thread)

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-5423.html as retrieved on Feb 9, 2008 10:40:30 GMT.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.

Millers Court residents in Whitechapel Infirmary

chris
    19th January 2008, 12:48 AM
    I have started a separate thread with details of Mary Cluley, a prostitute living in Millers Court very shortly after the Kelly murder.
    Below are details of two other Millers Court residents in the Infirmary shortly after Kelly's death. The surname of the first is hard to decipher and any alternative readings would be welcome. (see images below)

Millers Court
    Whitechapel Infirmary Admissions
    3 Feb 1889
    Thomas Gauven?
    Aged 22
    6 Millers Court
    Single
    Shoeblack
    Cause: Phthisis
    Discharged: 22 Feb 1889
    Dead

9 Feb 1889
    Henry Hemslow
    Aged 40
    11 Millers Court
    Married
    Porter
    Cause: Debility
    Discharged: 18 Feb 1889

chris
    19th January 2008, 01:02 AM
    According to the register of deaths for 1889, the name of the Millers Court resident is Thomas Gavven:

chris
    19th January 2008, 01:27 AM
    The only Thomas whose name in the census is a feasible variant of GAVVEN and whose age is compatible came from Wolverhampton and was of Iirsh parentage.
    His name is listed in the 1881 census as Thomas GARVEN and the family is listed as follows:
    1st House Court, Southampton Street, Wolverhampton, Staffs
    Head: Michael Gavern aged 66 born County Mayo (Ireland) - Blind 24 years.
    Wife: Catherine Gavern aged 50 born County Mayo - Nail cutter
    Children:
    Catherine aged 20 - Nail cutter
    Michael aged 18 - Iron plate worker
    Thomas aged 13 - Iron plater worker
    Joseph aged 11
    Anna Jane aged 5
    All children born in Wolverhampton
    The family in 1861 is listed as follows:
    No 1 Court, Southampton Street, Wolverhampton
    Head: Michael Gavern aged 34 born Ireland - Stone Mind Labourer - Blind
    Wife: Catherine Gavern aged 29 born Ireland - Charwoman
    Children:
    Ellen aged 5
    Mary aged 3
    Catherine aged 10 months
    All born in Wolverhampton
    Mother in Law:
    Mary Ward aged 50 born Ireland
    Brothers in Law:
    Thomas Ward aged 22 born Ireland - Bricklayer's labourer
    Patrick Ward aged 16 born Ireland - Iron Brazier apprentice.
    I have yet to find them in 1861

chris
    19th January 2008, 01:41 AM
    I'm also having probs tracing the man whose surname I read as Hemslow.
    Below is the entry - again, any help very gratefully received!

Sam Flynn
    19th January 2008, 01:43 AM
    Chris,

There's a Thomas GAWEN, a carman born in 1865/66, in the 1881 Census. His widowed mother, Catherine, was born in Persia (Iraq) and his elder brother, Charles, in Baghdad. Thomas was born in St Pancras, and the family were still resident there in 1881.

Sox
    19th January 2008, 06:37 AM
    Sam, any idea if the residents of Millers Court had seperate mailing addresses? Would Kelly have had mail delivered to No13?

baron
    19th January 2008, 11:22 AM
    Chris,

Is it possible to post a few names before and after that one to look at other writings of the letters?

So far I'm getting something like:Hornslothe or Hornslotke which I can't locate on the web.

Mike

chris
    19th January 2008, 01:15 PM
    Sam
    many thanks for the info which I will follow up

Mike
    Below is a list of all the names and addresses for 9 Feb 1889

Regards
    Chris

chris
    19th January 2008, 01:18 PM
    Sometimes I find these entries easier to read when reversed, so here is part of the list with the "Hemslow" name
    Chris

Sam Flynn
    19th January 2008, 02:53 PM
    Sam, any idea if the residents of Millers Court had seperate mailing addresses? Would Kelly have had mail delivered to No13?I'm not sure whether she did or not, but given that it was McCarthy - not Barnett - who stated that Kelly received occasional letters from her "mother" in Ireland, it would seem that the landlord received at least some mail on behalf of his lodgers.

cgp100
    19th January 2008, 03:04 PM
    I'm also having probs tracing the man whose surname I read as Hemslow.
    Below is the entry - again, any help very gratefully received!

My guess would be Hanslope (or perhaps Hamslope), from the village of that name in Buckinghamshire.

Chris Phillips

Dan Norder
    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Sam Flynn
    19th January 2008, 03:31 PM
    My guess would be HanslopeI'd agree, Chris - there's a "lope" or maybe a "cope" in there somewhere.

It might be a clerical error, in that the first five letters of the surname might be construed as "Henry...". A bit like Charlie's Angels' "Boswell John Boswell", perhaps, here we may have had "Name?" - "Henry, Henry Cope" (or something similar), coming out as "Henry Henrycope".

cgp100
    19th January 2008, 03:34 PM
    FreeBMD has a Henry Hanslope married in Islington in 1869, so that may be the same man.

Chris Phillips

chris
    19th January 2008, 03:37 PM
    Hi Guys
    many thanks for the reading - it has led somewhere!
    I have found what I think is the right man in the 1871 census under the surname Hanslope. If this is him, and he was living in Millers Court in 1889 he had certainly come down in the world.
    1871:
    3 Beaumont Street, Cavendish Square
    Head: Henry Hanslope aged 22 born Lavenham, Suffolk - Commercial Traveller (Books)
    Wife: Sarah A Hanslope aged 30 born Clingor, Middlesex
    Son: John H aged 4 months

cgp100
    19th January 2008, 03:44 PM
    Hi Guys
    many thanks for the reading - it has led somewhere!
    I have found what I think is the right man in the 1871 census under the surname Hanslope. If this is him, and he was living in Millers Court in 1889 he had certainly come down in the world.
    1871:
    3 Beaumont Street, Cavendish Square
    Head: Henry Hanslope aged 22 born Lavenham, Suffolk - Commercial Traveller (Books)

It looks as though he's the same one married in Islington in the last quarter of 1869, as there's a Sarah Ann Mason with a matching reference.

Certainly he'd come down in the world by 1901, when he was a shepherd in Boxford, West Suffolk!

Chris Phillips

chris
    19th January 2008, 03:52 PM
    Hi Chris
    I saw the 1901 entry but cannot find him in either 1881 or 1891
    Also still lookingfor the date of his death. His birth was registered in Cosford, Suffolk in 1848

Just peachy
    19th January 2008, 05:25 PM
    Maybe drink was his downfall?
    This is from the Illustrated Police News March 27 1886. It seems like the same man.
    Debs

cgp100
    19th January 2008, 05:30 PM
    Maybe drink was his downfall?
    This is from the Illustrated Police News March 27 1886. It seems like the same man.

Very interesting. I must say this kind of thing is a welcome antidote to the endless back-biting that sometimes makes me despair of Internet forums.

On the other hand, at this rate I can see poor Henry being a fully fledged suspect by the end of the day ...

Chris Phillips

Just peachy
    19th January 2008, 05:36 PM
    On the other hand, at this rate I can see poor Henry being a fully fledged suspect by the end of the day ...

Chris Phillips

...funny you should say that Chris!....Nah, he's interesting though.
    Here's another, he may have been the guy inpersonating a detective at music halls, age and location fit. This is from the Liverpool mercury June 19 1871.
    There is also another article from 1868 mentioning a respectable young man named Henry Hanslope from Lavenham, who attacked his mother.

Debs

Just peachy
    19th January 2008, 05:43 PM
    Here's the assault on the mother article, not sure if it is him, but seems likely.

Sam Flynn
    19th January 2008, 06:17 PM
    It seems the name was cursed - the full name of Mary Pearcey's infant victim was Phoebe Hanslope Hogg.

suzi
    19th January 2008, 07:29 PM
    Blimey!! just picked up this thread......great name though 'eh Sam! Will read back and get up to what passes for speed!!!

Suzi x

baron
    19th January 2008, 07:41 PM
    Yeah. I found Hanslope too. I noticed that the recorder used a split 'p'. After that it wasn't difficult.

Good job Chris.

Mike

Sam Flynn
    19th January 2008, 08:11 PM
    I noticed that the recorder used a split 'p'
    ...no wonder so many patients ended up in a lentil hospital

baron
    19th January 2008, 08:14 PM
    Gareth,

I've been waiting for one of your tasteless puns. Where have you bean?

Dan Norder

Comment

Just peachy
      19th January 2008, 08:16 PM
      Here's the assault on the mother article, not sure if it is him, but seems likely.

Going by the BMD and census details Chris S. has posted on Henry Hanslope, I think this probably is the same man that attacked his mother in 1868.
      This man's father John, a farmer, died died 17th Feb 1862 aged 47, at Lavenham and his mother Anne (who he seems to have helped out on the farm before his marriage and after the death of his father, going by some news reports on various thefts in Lavenham) died 6th Oct 1888 aged 67 years, in Lavenham.
      His sister Mary Ann married married Charles Rocock, draper of Lavenham. on 16 sept 1873. These are from various BMD sections in the papers.

Debs

Stephen Thomas
      19th January 2008, 08:34 PM
      What?

A formerly 'respectable' attacker of women who is prone to alchohol induced bouts of psychosis found living next door to Mary Kelly?

Hmmmmmmmmm

Well done Chris, Debs and CGP

Just peachy
      19th January 2008, 08:56 PM
      What?

A formerly 'respectable' attacker of women who is prone to alchohol induced bouts of psychosis found living next door to Mary Kelly?

Hmmmmmmmmm

....who was fond of hanging around 'music halls' pretending to be a detective and the mother he assaulted dying in Oct 88!....suspect books have been written on less!
      Debs

richardn
      19th January 2008, 09:02 PM
      Hi,
      Hate to say it folks , but living in millers court, a drunkerd, and subject to violent outbursts, also how old was he at the time of the murders, dare i say the infamous number 39?.
      Naturally just another coincidence rearing its head.
      Regards Richard.

Sam Flynn
      19th January 2008, 09:07 PM
      On inspection, "Clingor" looks like it might have been "Islington" - the census return and/or the scan is defective at this point. John H was born there too.

robert
      19th January 2008, 09:17 PM
      Was Henry a bigamist too? He seems to have married Eliza in 1897 - yet Sarah appears to have died in 1907. Divorces weren't so common in those days.

ChavaG
      19th January 2008, 09:21 PM
      I told you guys it was a domestic!

Interesting that the beak giving him the sentence for abusing his wife was 'Mr Lushington'. Given that was common slang for a drunkard at the time. My bet is that the journalist didn't get the beak's name and it was a common practice and in-joke to substitute another. This was still going on as recently as the 60s and 70s. A journalist pal of mine, when a junior reporter on a paper in Montreal, used the name 'Xavier L'Esperance' as this kind of catch-all when he covered family court, flower shows, local fires etc etc. It was commonly done by all the journalists in the newsroom...

robert
      19th January 2008, 09:23 PM
      Hate to say it, Richard, but Henry has the perfect alibi - as everyone knows, Joe Barnett dunnit.

baron
      19th January 2008, 09:32 PM
      ...but what if? We were here to see it unfold. That would be worth more than a mastodon skull at a Creationism museum (inside joke).

Mike

m_w_r
      19th January 2008, 09:34 PM
      Henry Hanslope is on the web at http://fp.raylong.plus.com/lavenham/d98.html.

Stephen Thomas
      19th January 2008, 09:40 PM
      Hate to say it, Richard, but Henry has the perfect alibi - as everyone knows, Joe Barnett dunnit.

No he didn't, Robert, it was George Hutchinson who wasn't George Hutchinson really but actually Joseph Fleming. Please pay attention.

chris
      19th January 2008, 10:03 PM
      Hi guys
      Thank you so much for all the feedback!
      Debs
      Great stuff and very valuable - many thanks
      Sam
      Thanks for the Islington correction
      MWR
      many thanks for the web link

Mr H i shaping up to be an interesting character
      Now I have Mr Gavven in my sights

Thanks again
      Chris

Dan Norder

Comment

Sam Flynn
        19th January 2008, 10:09 PM
        I told you guys it was a domestic!

Interesting that the beak giving him the sentence for abusing his wife was 'Mr Lushington'. Given that was common slang for a drunkard at the time. My bet is that the journalist didn't get the beak's name and it was a common practice and in-joke to substitute another.
        Nice thought, Chava, but this was no nickname. Sir Franklin Lushington (1823-1901) was the Chief Police Magistrate for London, a Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge, and close friend of poet Edward Lear. In fact, Lear was in love with Lushington, but his hopes were dashed when the latter did not reciprocate. Lear was heartbroken by the rejection, and never quite got over it, apparently.

There was a young poet named Lear
        Who one day came over all queer
        He soon took to crushing on
        His friend, Franklin Lushington,
        Who spurned his advances - oh dear!

- Anon.

chris
        19th January 2008, 10:11 PM
        It looks as though henry's second marriage was legal
        Although his first wife, Sarah Ann, lived until 1907 and her death was registered under the name of Hanslope, there is a record of Henry remarrying to his second wife, Eliza.
        1897 Quarter 1
        Cosford, Suffolk
        Henry Hanslope married Eliza Richardson

baron
        19th January 2008, 10:22 PM
        This guy seems important. A heavy drinker (maybe) with a history of violence in his mid to late 30s, perhaps a blotchy face from alcohol... okay the last one is just an add-on, but seriously folks. Maybe no one saw blotchy face leave because blotchy face stayed in the Court.

Mike

chris
        19th January 2008, 10:49 PM
        Thomas Gavven
        Died Feb 1889 aged 22
        Born circa 1866 or 1867
        I had been unable to find any other occurrence of the surname GAVVEN but there is one birth record, albeit female, as follows:
        1866 Quarter 2
        Meriden
        Louisa Gavven
        6d 370
        This entry does not appear under its proper spelling in the searchable index - it would be very easy to mistake it for GAWEN but in this case it is definitely GAVVEN
        Meriden is small town a few miles to the east of Birmingham
        This may given a location for the family

robert
        19th January 2008, 11:03 PM
        Chris, yes, he did remarry - but I'd still like to see evidence of the divorce.

Sam Flynn
        19th January 2008, 11:05 PM
        This entry does not appear under its proper spelling in the searchable index - it would be very easy to mistake it for GAWEN but in this case it is definitely GAVVEN
        I'm not so sure, Chris. There are many names like "Gawen" - it probably derives from "Gawain" at some point - like Major "Gowen", from Fawlty Towers, for example. Then there's "Gowan" (my uncle's surname), as another. Offhand, I can't think of any British surname with "VV" in the middle. I'm pretty certain that "GAVVEN" can be attributed to a mis-read, and that "Gawen" is the more likely version of the name.

chris
        19th January 2008, 11:11 PM
        Hi Sam
        I take your point but all I meant was that in the case of Thomas and Louisa the surname is recorded in the official index as GAVVEN. If you compare the Louisa entry above with the surname of the entry below, which starts with GAW, the difference is clear.
        Regards
        Chris

m_w_r
        19th January 2008, 11:34 PM
        The Louisa Gavven (b.1886q2), whose birth entry is posted above, seems likely to be the same person as the Louisa Gavin whose death is recorded in 1873q2. Both birth and death are recorded in Meriden.

On the basis that spelling in Victorian times was an inexact science, I would contend that the following Thomas Gevan, who appears in the 1881 census, might prove to be our man. Shout me down if you think not...

111 Hospital Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire -
        George Gevan, head, married, 38, bootmaker, b. Birmingham, Warwickshire
        Selina Gevan, wife, married, 34, b. Wolverhampton, Warwickshire
        Thomas Gevan, son, 13, bootmaker, b. Birmingham, Warwickshire
        Rosina [?] Smith, mother-in-law, widow, 64, assistant, b. Birmingham, Warwickshire
        William Gevan, son, 7, scholar, b. Birmingham, Warwickshire
        Elizabeth Whelan, servant, widow, 43, general servant, b. Birmingham, Warwickshire

Mark

Sam Flynn
        19th January 2008, 11:44 PM
        I take your point but all I meant was that in the case of Thomas and Louisa the surname is recorded in the official index as GAVVEN. If you compare the Louisa entry above with the surname of the entry below, which starts with GAW, the difference is clear.
        True, Chris - but we're just looking at two transcripts, of which one, other or both could be wrong. Or am I missing something?

Not that I'm too bovvered - sorry! - bowered

cgp100
        20th January 2008, 12:11 AM
        Chris, yes, he did remarry - but I'd still like to see evidence of the divorce.

For reasons I am not at liberty to disclose, I recently found out that early divorce records in the National Archives (J 77) are now included in the online catalogue. These go at least as far as 1897, but a search under Hanslope doesn't bring anything up.

Chris Phillips

robert
        20th January 2008, 12:19 AM
        Thanks for that, Chris. I tried "Cutbush" and got one as late as 1928.

Robert

Dan Norder

Comment

m_w_r
          20th January 2008, 12:20 AM
          Incidentally, I think the jury's very much out on the legality of Henry Hanslope's second marriage; although common sense would suggest that you wouldn't go back to your home patch (I suspect that Lavenham and Cosford are not very far apart) to get married unless it was all above board, for fear of getting the rumour mill going. Bigamous marriages are, surely, better entered into in places where people don't know of you or your antecedents.

In the 1891 census, 51-year-old Sarah Ann Hanslope, Henry's first wife, is, for reasons which are not clear, listed as the "daughter" of the 38-year-old head of her household, a Mr William Andrews. In fact, she was actually in domestic service - and her husband had almost certainly split from her by then. By extension, Sarah Ann's daughter by Henry, Ellen Emily (b.1872q1, Islington), who is still living with Sarah Ann, is recorded entirely erroneously as the "granddaughter" of William Andrews. She is also mistakenly given the name Eleanor.

From the 1891 census, then (I am leaving out the extensive Andrews family to whom Sarah Ann is in service):

16, Hooks Road, Peckham, London -
          Sarah Hanslope, daughter [sic], married, 51, general servant, b. Holloway, London
          Eleanor Hanslope, granddaughter, single, 19, b. Holloway, London

m_w_r
          20th January 2008, 01:52 AM
          Sir Franklin Lushington (1823-1901) was the Chief Police Magistrate for London, a Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge ...

Not to go off track, but Ripper "suspect" James Kenneth Stephen had a younger brother by the name of Harry Lushington Stephen. Their father, James Fitzjames Stephen, like Sir Franklin Lushington, had attended Trinity College, Cambridge; and both James Fitzjames Stephen and Franklin Lushington had served as president of the Cambridge Apostles. It seems likely that Harry Lushington Stephen was named after the magistrate, who later reciprocated by naming one of his own sons George Henry Fitzjames Lushington.

Mark

Just peachy
          20th January 2008, 02:01 AM
          ...While people are in a helpful searchy mood, Can I chuck this in? I'm still looking for an Elizabeth Bushman in any census who was aged 17, and resident at 8 Miller's Court in April 1888 when she was admitted to the Infirmary. I've been searching on and off since June 2006 with no luck!

Debs

chris
          20th January 2008, 02:44 AM
          Hi Debs
          looking closely at the entry you mention (on 23 April1888) it might be worth looking under Bashman as a possible variant (see below)
          Chris

Sox
          20th January 2008, 04:31 AM
          I'm not sure whether she did or not, but given that it was McCarthy - not Barnett - who stated that Kelly received occasional letters from her "mother" in Ireland, it would seem that the landlord received at least some mail on behalf of his lodgers.

That is what is bothering me Sam. If Kellys mother was writing to her, then can we assume that her mother would use Kellys real name on the envelope? And if McCarthy recieved her mail, then wouldnt it follow that he would have known that name?

No mention of any letters being found in Kellys room? McCarthy never mentions that Mary Jane Kelly was not her real name, nor does Barnett. Sorry for derailing the thread a little, but I just thought mailing addresses could be important and that you are the folks that would know

chris
          20th January 2008, 06:14 PM
          Here is what I've been able to find about Henry Hanslope so far. The main omissions are the 1881 and 1891 census details and the date of henry's death - any help appreciated!

Henry Hanslope
          Birth:
          1848 - Cosford, Suffolk
          Census:
          1851:
          Market Place, Lavenham, Suffolk
          Head: John Hanslope aged 35 born Suffolk - Victualler
          Wife: Ann Hanslope aged 30 born Hunstons, Suffolk
          Children:
          Mary Ann aged 4 born Camden Town
          Henry aged 2 born Lavenham, Suffolk
          1861:
          Lady Street, Lavenham, Suffolk
          Head: John Hanslope aged 45 born Thurston, Suffolk - Farmer of 60 acres, Collector of Parish rates
          Wife: Ann Hanslope aged 40 born Thurston
          Children:
          Mary Ann aged 14 born Camden Town
          Henry aged 12 born Lavenham
          1871:
          3 Beaumont Street, Marylebone
          Head: Henry Hanslope aged 22 born Lavenham - Commercial Traveller (Books)
          Wife: Sarah A Hanslope aged 30 born Islington
          Children:
          John H aged 4 months born Islington
          1901:
          Brick Kiln Hill Cottage, Cosford, Suffolk
          Head: Henry Hanslope aged 52 born Lavenham - Shepherd
          Wife: Eliza Hanslope aged 34 born Whatfield, Suffolk
          Children:
          Mary Ann aged 6 born St Pancras
          Henry J aged 4 born St Pancras
          Patrick aged 10 months born Suffolk
          Marriages:
          1873:
          Cosford, Suffolk
          Mary Ann Hanslope married Charles Bocock
          1869:
          Islington, London
          Henry Hanslope married Sarah Ann Mason
          1897:
          Henry Hanslope married Eliza Richardson
          Deaths:
          Greenwich
          Sarah Ann Hanslope aged 67
          1888:
          Cosford, Suffolk
          6 September 1888
          Anne Hanslop (Henry's mother)

chris
          20th January 2008, 07:38 PM
          In my previous post the date of death of Anne Hanslope should read 6 October 1888, not 6 September

Just peachy
          20th January 2008, 10:53 PM
          It seems the name was cursed - the full name of Mary Pearcey's infant victim was Phoebe Hanslope Hogg.

Sam, a bit of trivia for you;
          The two families were actually related as far as I can tell!....how, I haven't had the stamina to work out, but...

Henry (of Miller's Court) Hanslope's father was named John Hanslope b Suffolk c 1815 to Joseph and Ann Hanslope, he also had a sister named Maria Hanslope b 1817 in Thurston Suffolk.
          A Maria Hanslope b Thurston Suffolk c 1820 married James Hogg in 1839 and their son Frank S Hogg b c 1859 was the husband of Phoebe Hogg and father of the infant Phoebe Hanslope Hogg.

Thanks for the Bashman hint Chris, I will look closer at that.

Regarding the death of Henry Hanslope, could he be the Henry Hanslope aged 67 who died March qtr 1909 in West Derby? I notice a shift in the BMD's to West Derby/Liverpool after 1901, quite a few births and deaths where there once were none.
          Also there is a L/CPL John Hanslope who was b in St Pancras who died in the Great War 7 June 1917 aged 23, he enlisted in Lancaster and had a brother G Hanslope living at 5 Duncan street Liverpool. I'm not sure but could he be the John Hanslope, son of Henry and Elizabeth?

Debs

Sam Flynn
          20th January 2008, 11:20 PM
          The two families were actually related as far as I can tell!Well, I never! Thanks, Debs.

chris
          21st January 2008, 12:22 AM
          Debs
          I was going through some South Grove records today and came across the surname RASHMAN - that might be worth a try as well
          Chris

Sam Flynn
          21st January 2008, 12:45 AM
          I was going through some South Grove records today and came across the surname RASHMAN - that might be worth a try as wellThere are a couple of 1891 census records relating to "Elizabeth/Eliza Buckman" of the right age, occupation and roughly correct location (Paddington, Shoreditch) to be a possible match, Chris.

Dan Norder

Comment

Originally posted by sox
            19th January 2008. Sam, any idea if the residents of Millers Court had seperate mailing addresses? Would Kelly have had mail delivered to No13?
            Originally posted by Sam Flynn
            I'm not sure whether she did or not, but given that it was McCarthy - not Barnett - who stated that Kelly received occasional letters from her "mother" in Ireland, it would seem that the landlord received at least some mail on behalf of his lodgers.
            As a follow-up to that, I note that the Sourcebook records Mrs Prater giving her address as 27 Dorset Street on her Police statement. Unless this was an error, it perhaps indicates that she may have used McCarthy's address for "official" purposes.

(PS, Dan: thanks for resurrecting this!)
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Henry Hanslope newspaper clippings

Just reposting the 3 Newspaper articles that were part of the thread.

Illustrated Police News Mar 27 1886
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Illustrated Police news mar 27 1886.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	652458

Ipswich Journal Sat May 9 1868

Name:	Ipswich journal Sat May 9 1868.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	652459

Liverpool mercury Mon Jun 19 1871

Name:	Liverpool mercury Mon Jun 19 1871.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	652460

Comment

Another snippet

At the adjourned general quarter sessions held at Clerkenwell. 27th July 1885.
                Henry Hanslope, charged with indecent assault. sentence: Bill ignored

Comment

Bill Ignored indicates that although a Bill of Indictment had been issued but it was for the wrong reasons as the Bill did not reflect the evidence being advanced. For example where someone is accused of armed robbery, but the evidence being put forward suggests that the crime was one of assault. Therefore the Bill had been issued for armed robbery and was no basis for a conviction of assault. The Bill would therefore have been ignored

Thanks Debs, Chris and all. Both men are interesting. Hanslope for obvious reasons, Gavven because he died.

Roy
                  Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 09-26-2009, 06:46 AM.
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

Thanks for that bit of information, Roy. Interesting.

Comment

In the 1885 indecent assault charge against Henry Hanslope, the victim was named as his daughter, Ellen Emily Hanslope, who would have been 13 in 1885.

Comment

Is there anything that indicates Henry was skilled with a knife. These assaults....impersonating a plain clothes detective (my mind goes to torso)..classic serial killer behaviour.....and how close to Kelly!!! But we need someone whose skilled with a knife...this was pointed out by someone a few weeks ago how much affection the ripper would have for his knife....but goddamn this henry fellow fits the profile far better than Koz or any other suspect and he lives at millers court!!!

Comment

Hi Rocky, thanks for resurrecting this thread -it made me have another quick look at Henry and I discovered that I was right when I wrote this in the crashed thread (as Just peachy)

Originally posted by Sam Flynn
                          Originally posted by Me
                          20th January 2008, 10:53 PM
                          The two families were actually related as far as I can tell!....how, I haven't had the stamina to work out, but...

Henry (of Miller's Court) Hanslope's father was named John Hanslope b Suffolk c 1815 to Joseph and Ann Hanslope, he also had a sister named Maria Hanslope b 1817 in Thurston Suffolk.
                          A Maria Hanslope b Thurston Suffolk c 1820 married James Hogg in 1839 and their son Frank S Hogg b c 1859 was the husband of Phoebe Hogg and father of the infant Phoebe Hanslope Hogg.
                          Henry Hanslope was a cousin of the Hogg family and commented upon the state of mind of Mr Hogg, in at least one paper:

Evening Telegraph and Star and Sheffield Daily Times, Thursday, October 31, 1890

I also found another incident in 1868 where Hanslope claimed (convincingly)to be a plain clothes inspector and proceeded to take money from a pub landlord as a bribe for turning a blind eye to a gambling incident that had occurred in the pub earlier.

No knife incidents so far though.
                          Last edited by Debra A; 09-25-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Thank you Debra! I've never heard of Mr. hog before...sounds very intriguing. And hanslope's assault on his own daughter...dear god do we have any info on this? Where exactly was Henry in relation to Kelly in millers court?since we have a list of millers court residents who that we have on the list where occupation known has anything to do with a knife at all? How about Dorset street residents? Please excuse my ignorance in this area as you all have much more experience with these specifics than i do. I am astonished at the accomplishments you all have contributed so far to this aspect of the case!!

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                              Thank you Debra! I've never heard of Mr. hog before...sounds very intriguing. And hanslope's assault on his own daughter...dear god do we have any info on this? Where exactly was Henry in relation to Kelly in millers court?since we have a list of millers court residents who that we have on the list where occupation known has anything to do with a knife at all? How about Dorset street residents? Please excuse my ignorance in this area as you all have much more experience with these specifics than i do. I am astonished at the accomplishments you all have contributed so far to this aspect of the case!!
                              This old thread might interest you, Rocky. It has a little bit of discussion on where Henry lived in Miller's Court.

Comment

Working...
                              X