Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millers Court residents in Whitechapel Infirmary (recovered thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Be interesting.
    I'll try to be!

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    Thanks for the continued interest, Roy!

Hanslope applied to SGE in April 1887. He'd lived at Carter St Mile End for 12 mos. after leaving the army and later Ernest St for a fortnight. I think that's Mile End too. He'd also been 'wandering about'
    I have some other ideas where to look and if I can be certain he was at Miller's Court in Nov 1888 I might write up a summary article on HH.
    Be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
    Hi Debra, your searches in the settlement records have turned up some interesting facts. Thanks for taking the time to share your results with us.

When did Henry Hanslope apply to the authorities of St George in the East?

Roy

(ps HH may require his own article written by you.)
    Thanks for the continued interest, Roy!

Hanslope applied to SGE in April 1887. He'd lived at Carter St Mile End for 12 mos. after leaving the army and later Ernest St for a fortnight. I think that's Mile End too. He'd also been 'wandering about'
    I have some other ideas where to look and if I can be certain he was at Miller's Court in Nov 1888 I might write up a summary article on HH.

Leave a comment:

• Roy Corduroy
    replied
    Hi Debra, your searches in the settlement records have turned up some interesting facts. Thanks for taking the time to share your results with us.

When did Henry Hanslope apply to the authorities of St George in the East?

Roy

(ps HH may require his own article written by you.)

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Henry Hanslope

I found Henry Hanslope's settlement examination notes in the SGE poor law records and he stated he had been in the army until 1887. I looked for his military record and he was attested to the Royal Horse Guards in 1873 and discharged with bad conduct in 1887.
    His former occupation was given as photographer and he was a six feet tall with blue eyes and light brown hair.

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Thanks good read!!! It's surprising with all smoke and mirrors no one focused on Henry Hanslope...living in Mary's building with priors for assaults, impersonating a detective and possible sexual abuse....

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    Thank you Debra! I've never heard of Mr. hog before...sounds very intriguing. And hanslope's assault on his own daughter...dear god do we have any info on this? Where exactly was Henry in relation to Kelly in millers court?since we have a list of millers court residents who that we have on the list where occupation known has anything to do with a knife at all? How about Dorset street residents? Please excuse my ignorance in this area as you all have much more experience with these specifics than i do. I am astonished at the accomplishments you all have contributed so far to this aspect of the case!!
    This old thread might interest you, Rocky. It has a little bit of discussion on where Henry lived in Miller's Court.
    http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=5497

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Thank you Debra! I've never heard of Mr. hog before...sounds very intriguing. And hanslope's assault on his own daughter...dear god do we have any info on this? Where exactly was Henry in relation to Kelly in millers court?since we have a list of millers court residents who that we have on the list where occupation known has anything to do with a knife at all? How about Dorset street residents? Please excuse my ignorance in this area as you all have much more experience with these specifics than i do. I am astonished at the accomplishments you all have contributed so far to this aspect of the case!!

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Hi Rocky, thanks for resurrecting this thread -it made me have another quick look at Henry and I discovered that I was right when I wrote this in the crashed thread (as Just peachy)

Originally posted by Sam Flynn
    It seems the name was cursed - the full name of Mary Pearcey's infant victim was Phoebe Hanslope Hogg.
    Originally posted by Me
    20th January 2008, 10:53 PM
    Sam, a bit of trivia for you;
    The two families were actually related as far as I can tell!....how, I haven't had the stamina to work out, but...

Henry (of Miller's Court) Hanslope's father was named John Hanslope b Suffolk c 1815 to Joseph and Ann Hanslope, he also had a sister named Maria Hanslope b 1817 in Thurston Suffolk.
    A Maria Hanslope b Thurston Suffolk c 1820 married James Hogg in 1839 and their son Frank S Hogg b c 1859 was the husband of Phoebe Hogg and father of the infant Phoebe Hanslope Hogg.
    Henry Hanslope was a cousin of the Hogg family and commented upon the state of mind of Mr Hogg, in at least one paper:

Evening Telegraph and Star and Sheffield Daily Times, Thursday, October 31, 1890

I also found another incident in 1868 where Hanslope claimed (convincingly)to be a plain clothes inspector and proceeded to take money from a pub landlord as a bribe for turning a blind eye to a gambling incident that had occurred in the pub earlier.

No knife incidents so far though.
    Last edited by Debra A; 09-25-2014, 02:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RockySullivan
    replied
    Is there anything that indicates Henry was skilled with a knife. These assaults....impersonating a plain clothes detective (my mind goes to torso)..classic serial killer behaviour.....and how close to Kelly!!! But we need someone whose skilled with a knife...this was pointed out by someone a few weeks ago how much affection the ripper would have for his knife....but goddamn this henry fellow fits the profile far better than Koz or any other suspect and he lives at millers court!!!

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    In the 1885 indecent assault charge against Henry Hanslope, the victim was named as his daughter, Ellen Emily Hanslope, who would have been 13 in 1885.

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Thanks for that bit of information, Roy. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Roy Corduroy
    replied
    Bill Ignored indicates that although a Bill of Indictment had been issued but it was for the wrong reasons as the Bill did not reflect the evidence being advanced. For example where someone is accused of armed robbery, but the evidence being put forward suggests that the crime was one of assault. Therefore the Bill had been issued for armed robbery and was no basis for a conviction of assault. The Bill would therefore have been ignored

Thanks Debs, Chris and all. Both men are interesting. Hanslope for obvious reasons, Gavven because he died.

Roy
    Last edited by Roy Corduroy; 09-26-2009, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Another snippet

At the adjourned general quarter sessions held at Clerkenwell. 27th July 1885.
    Henry Hanslope, charged with indecent assault. sentence: Bill ignored

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Henry Hanslope newspaper clippings

Just reposting the 3 Newspaper articles that were part of the thread.

Illustrated Police News Mar 27 1886
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Illustrated Police news mar 27 1886.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	652458

Ipswich Journal Sat May 9 1868
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ipswich journal Sat May 9 1868.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	652459