Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Hi Adam. The seamen theory derives almost exclusively from the fact that so many of the murders were on holidays and weekends, so I wouldn't say it's overlooked. However, these would also be prime times for a killer such as the Ripper, because he'd have a much easier time finding a woman, as they'd be out in droves. But it might indeed be work related on the part of the killer. With that in mind, how many hardpressed east enders would actually have had the weekends off? Not many.

Also of interest is that all the murders, from Smith to Kelly, occurred either in the first part or last part of the month, none in the middle. Not sure how or why that would be significant, just thought I'd mention it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    I think it must be confused with Martha Tabram's death, as that was a Bank Holiday Monday - and, according to Sugden's "Complete History", the last holiday for the summer.

It's always been an interesting, and I believe under-rated, point that all the canonical killings and even a couple of the attacks outside the canon, including that of Tabram, occurred on holidays or weekends.

One could call this a coincidence a couple of times, but when it gets into the region of 6 or 7, surely it's a bit more than that - IMO, it indicates that Jack was occupied during the working week, perhaps indicating he held down some sort of regular employment, as opposed to the popular image of him being an insane vagabond who did nothing but roam the streets searching for his next victim.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Emma Smith and Tabram were both killed on a Bank holiday, so I'm guessing April 3rd, when Smith was killed, was the day after Easter. No clue what Whit Monday is.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Interesting, because Dec. 26th is also Boxing Day.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• K-453
    replied
    I found this piece of information:

Bank holidays were first introduced by the Bank Holidays Act of 1871, which designated four holidays in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five in Scotland. These were Easter Monday, the first Monday in August, the 26th December, and Whit Monday (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
    This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/employment/bank-public-holidays/bank-public-holidays/page18882.html looked like on 31 Dec 1900 at 23:59:59

Did it happen for any other reason to be a day of significance?
    Like Nov. 9th, which was no bank holiday, but the day of Lord Mayor's Show?

Leave a comment:

• The Grave Maurice
    replied
    "Bank holiday" is a term that has always confused me too, K. One assumes that it's a day when the banks are closed, so it might well include days such as Christmas and New Year's Day. From what I've read, though, they seem to fall on Mondays and usually during the warmer months. So a bank holiday on a Friday in 1888 seems unlikely; but wait a bit and a knowledgeable UK poster will drop by with the definitive answer.

Leave a comment:

• K-453
    started a topic 31st August = Bank Holiday?

31st August = Bank Holiday?

I read somewhere, August 31st was a bank holiday, but that was a source which got several other things wrong.
    Can somebody help me, please?
Working...
X