Did jack kill liz stride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cool

I might check it out, any specific issues i particular?
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
      Agreed, Sam, but the victimology and the timing tell us that it could be Jack as well, though I can't say it "firmly".
      "Could" being the operative word, Dave - like he could have been a one-off murderer or manslaughter who decided to cut a throat in the heat of the moment. Throat cutting is not so unusual... unlike mutilation, which is comparatively rare, and certainly not like disembowelment and organ removal, which are very rare.
      Last edited by Sam Flynn; 12-29-2009, 01:57 AM.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

votes

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
        400 views and under 20 votes.
        It says at the top of the site here that I cannot vote. Your little character looks frustrated. I'll vote. Do I have to go back to the beginning to enter?

Best to you, Corey.

Comment

I don't know how it works. I would assume they don't put their crappiest issues up there as free samples. I think you can also order single issues if you want.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Corey,

For some reason, I'm not allowed to vote But as I wrote it would have been a yes.

Best Regards,
            Ditlew
            My Personal JTR Map

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn
              "Could" being the operative word, Dave - like he could have been a one-off murderer or manslaughter who decided to cut a throat in the heat of the moment. That's not so unusual...
              I disagree. Random throat-cuttings of this nature, so well executed, with no struggle, no false starts, this was very rare in 1888. In fact, if you want to look for similar murders to Stride's in 1888 you won't find any...except Nichols, Chapman, and Eddowes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by ditlew View Post
                Hi Corey,

For some reason, I'm not allowed to vote But as I wrote it would have been a yes.

Best Regards,
                Ditlew
                Me 2

Best ~

Chadwick

Comment

Hi Chad and Dit, is it telling you 'you have already voted on this thread' or giving you some other message on the screen?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

odd

Why wont it let you guys vote??

Hmm
                    Have you tried going to the first page then voting??

yours truly
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      Many other murders, including some of the "non-canonicals" in the Whitechapel series, involve a cut throat; others, still, entail the victim being killed outdoors; yet more involve the murder of a lone woman after dark. Stride ticks all those boxes, but then so do victims of other murders not ascribed to the Ripper.

Had Stride's throat been more deeply cut, or had there been some indication of an intent to disembowel (if not actual disembowelment), the question might be easier to answer in the affirmative. As it is, there's simply not enough in the manner of Stride's death to firmly indicate that she was.
                      Eloquent and succinct as always Sam.
                      I think it is true that if there had been even a hint of mutilation or attempt to do more than cut the throat there would be no question, but there wasn't! And for that reason people will always ask the question.

I don't know why but my gut says not. That isn't very acceptable though is it.
                      In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

AP has probably dismantled the voting since 'YES' is in the lead.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. If the police had just brought Jack the Ripper in for questioning, we wouldn't have so many questions now. Too bad they didn't think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          I disagree. Random throat-cuttings of this nature, so well executed, with no struggle, no false starts, this was very rare in 1888.
                          I don't have the data to refute that - or you the data to support it, for that matter - but there's no way that I see Jack the Ripper as the "meanest throat-cutter of his time", Tom. Even if he was, why the half-hearted job on Stride? I don't know about "false starts", but she was certainly a "false finish", if you get my drift - or a "false middle", come to think of it. Her killer chickened out with the knife halfway around her gizzard and only partially severing the vessels on one side - hardly Jack's form.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

status

Hello All. I think the "voting" problem concerns status. I was not allowed to vote until I reached either 50 or 100 posts. Perhaps that is the problem?

The best chaps.
                            LC

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                              Me 2

Best ~

Chadwick
                              I vote "yes" for the traditional reasons. I think JTR intended to do all the usual mutilations, but he was interrupted.

Comment

Votes

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                                Hello All. I think the "voting" problem concerns status. I was not allowed to vote until I reached either 50 or 100 posts. Perhaps that is the problem?

The best chaps.
                                LC
                                I guess we lesser beings must ring our bells and cry, "We are not worthy!"
                                Thanks, Lynn.
                                Last edited by Chadwick; 12-29-2009, 02:08 AM. Reason: thought

Comment

Working...
                                X