Clear All

• Hi Tom,

a pony is a horse, in fact.

Amitiés
    David

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV
      a pony is a horse, in fact.
      Maybe in the same way that Lynn Cates is a Ripperologist. But a pony is little a horse is big, and no one can talk to a talking horse. That is...of course...

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• A mule isn't a horse, nor a donkey, but a pony is.
        Some dwarves are human.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

• Gentlemen,

Some horses are small but still, a pony is a pony a horse is a horse. Google it and you will find that there are a set of rules that set them apart.

Best Regards,
          Ditlew
          My Personal JTR Map

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV
            Some dwarves are human.
            Cite your sources.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by ditlew View Post
              Gentlemen,

Some horses are small but still, a pony is a pony a horse is a horse. Google it and you will find that there are a set of rules that set them apart.

Best Regards,
              Ditlew
              Hi Ditlew,

absolutely not.
              Just back from "Cheval" ("Horse" of course), wikipedia, and found pony as one race of horses - there are hundreds.

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                Cite your sources.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                Georges Bataille, of course.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

• Hi DVV,

Are we nothing more than the sum of our parts? If a horse meets the criteria for being a pony it is normal to call it a pony not a horse. You could claim your right to still call it a horse but by that you tell me that you have passed the barrier of intelligent discussion and have entered the realm of teasing, in which I will not enter.

Best Regards,
                  Ditlew
                  Last edited by ditlew; 12-29-2009, 11:22 PM. Reason: missing words
                  My Personal JTR Map

Comment

• I had always thought that louis pony sheid away from jack, he heard maybe the killer croutching over the body and heard him flee.

I havent heard this mentioned but what if the horse was nervous because of the gate to the yard being open? If Im correct it was usually closed and if Ponys and horses usually shy away from differences in their known environments could this be a factor???

yours truly
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• Originally posted by ditlew View Post
                      Hi DVV,

Are we nothing more than the sum of our parts? If a horse meets the criteria for being a pony it is call it a pony not a horse. You could claim your right to still call it a horse but by that you tell me that you have passed the barrier of intelligent discussion and have entered the realm of teasing, in which I will not enter.

Best Regards,
                      Ditlew
                      Once more, Ditlew, absolutely not.
                      Pony is one race of horses among many.
                      End of the story.
                      It's like this, and believe it or not, a teckel and a rottweiler are both dogs.
                      Octopus can be 1 foot long, or 20, still it's an octopus.
                      And no teasing neithe.

Amitiés,
                      David

edit: since I was joking about dwarves, maintaining that a ponies are not horses, against scientific knowledge, is just like assuming that dwarves are not tall enough to be humans.
                      Last edited by DVV; 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• DVV,

But being 'hung like a horse' doesn't make one a horse, does it? I'd hate to lose my social security benefits should it be proved I'm not human.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Tom,

"D'un âne on ne fait pas un cheval de course, même en lui taillant les oreilles".

Amitiés,
                          David

Comment

• To answer a question you posed Corey, why would the horse hesitate...I submit that we only know the horse did indeed "shy" because its an element of the statement of Louis Diemshitz. There was no noise that could have been heard by anyone that was supposed to have accompanied this reaction.

Its one of the things Louis gets to state without being challenged,...among many.

Best regards Corey, all.

Comment

• Horses and ponies are part of the equestrian family, as are donkeys. You mix a horse with a donkey- you have a mule. Horses, like dogs, have been bred by man for centuries and each "breed" has its own characteristics. I raised my kids on ponies and found them to be cantankerous ( the ponies- not the kids...well OK both sometimes)

Anyway, my point was... hell I forgot what my point was. Gotta go feed the horses and the kids.

Best wishes,
                              Hunter
                              Best Wishes,
                              Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                                Horses and ponies are part of the equestrian family, as are donkeys.
                                Hunter
                                True, Hunter,

but a pony is a horse, a donkey is not.
                                You advised me to check wikipedia, which I did only to set my mind at rest, so just try it. Or a simple dictionary.

You can say donkeys and horses are all part of the equistrian family,
                                but you can't say a donkey is a horse.
                                You would confuse family and genus, and the genus of horses includes ponies, but not donkeys.
                                Clear now ?

Amitiés,
                                David

ps: ça fait 3 fois que je hennis sur le même sujet, j'en ai un peu marre...

Comment

Working...
                                X