Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we definitively conclude that Alice McKenzie was not killed by the Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

Indeed, there have been many advances in criminal investigation since 1888, as well as medical, and, well, pretty much everything pertinent. We know more about how to interview witnesses to get more reliable information, we know more about what requires skill, we know more about how to preserve and investigate a crime scene, and all sorts of things. That's a result of the research and studies that have been done, and from which we've gleaned new ideas and insights. The police of the time did the best they could given the knowledge and technology available at the time.

- Jeff
    Broadly speaking, I agree - the police did their best in relation to their resources and knowledge, apart from some lazy mistakes (like forgetting initially to speak to all the dwellers of Bucks Row).
    Some think I am too hard on the police, but the fact of the matter is that 132 years from now, we will be laughed at for our shortcomings too. We are all prisoners of the era we live in. The good thing is that we do tend to get better as we move along.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 03-04-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi los
      some of the drs and police thought she was, some didn't. today consensus is mixed. I think she probably was:
      same victimology
      same location
      at night
      throat cut
      abdomen gashed
      unsolved
      and the clincher for me- she was found with her skirt hiked up like most of the rest.
      From the amount of similarities, it seems probable that McKenzie's killer was the Ripper or someone attempting to imitate him. If McKenzie's killer was the Ripper, the massively reduced amount of mutilation might be a sign of illness or that the Ripper is no longer getting the same thrill that he got out of previous killings.

I do think that McKenzie's killer was not the Ripper based on one significant difference from the C5. The C5 (plus Tabram) were all killed when there was little or no moonlight. McKenzie was murdered the night of 16-17 July, 1889, which would have had a lot more moonlight than any of the C5 killings.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

From the amount of similarities, it seems probable that McKenzie's killer was the Ripper or someone attempting to imitate him. If McKenzie's killer was the Ripper, the massively reduced amount of mutilation might be a sign of illness or that the Ripper is no longer getting the same thrill that he got out of previous killings.

I do think that McKenzie's killer was not the Ripper based on one significant difference from the C5. The C5 (plus Tabram) were all killed when there was little or no moonlight. McKenzie was murdered the night of 16-17 July, 1889, which would have had a lot more moonlight than any of the C5 killings.
        That conclusively rules out the ripper being a werewolf!
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Where wolf? Ah, there wolf!

Comment

People have tried to use Moon Phases to explain the gaps over the years, and there are some full moon events. But realistically we aren't looking for a lunar loony.
            Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
              People have tried to use Moon Phases to explain the gaps over the years, and there are some full moon events. But realistically we aren't looking for a lunar loony.
              There are no "full moon events" among the C5. There aren't even any half-moon events. The Ripper attacks occurred when there was 41%, 2%, 39%, and 27% of the
              Moon's visible disk illuminated. That's not a sign of a "lunar loony", that's a sign that the Ripper preferred to attack when there was little or no moonlight.
              "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

There are no "full moon events" among the C5. There aren't even any half-moon events. The Ripper attacks occurred when there was 41%, 2%, 39%, and 27% of the
                Moon's visible disk illuminated. That's not a sign of a "lunar loony", that's a sign that the Ripper preferred to attack when there was little or no moonlight.
                Sorry, I was obviously aware that some people use the moon phases, like they also use numerology, and days of the week, and coincidental timings to explain these events, I had mistaken that first belief system was actually based on some full moon occurrences. As it seems, its actually based on nothing...like the other ones.
                Michael Richards

Comment

If one rejects the possibility that Mackenzie was a Ripper victim because there was too much moonlight when she was killed, then one should also conclude that Chapman was killed much earlier than 5;30 AM. There was a lot more sunlight at 5:30 the day Chapman was killed than there would be moonlight on a night with a full moon.

Comment

Working...
                  X