No announcement yet.

Tumblety & Carrie Brown .6 Miles Apart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotcha. Don't expect that you mean exactly what you post. Instead either determine if you "typed fast" or ask you if you meant what you posted when you posted it or if you have now changed your mind.

So... did you mean what you posted last? Or did you mean something else entirely? I'm just trying to get my facts straight.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      COUPLE OF BURGLARIES
      The Plateau Hotel Guests Worked For $8,000
      Special to The Arkansas Gazette. Hot Springs, April 18.

Thieves went through the Plateau Hotel last night, securing about $8,000 in money and diamonds, Judge A. M. Duffie, of this city and that well-known mysterious individual, Dr. Frank Francis Tumblety, being the victims. The thieves secured a gold watch and a considerable sum of money from Judge Duffie, and $2,000 in cash and diamonds valued at between $5,000 and $7,000 from Dr. Tumblety. It was well known that Dr. Tumblety had the money and valuables and carried them on his person, besides valuable papers. No clue to the identity of the thieves.
      This is an intriguing sounding episode and may be a noteworthy addition to the already colorful history of Hot Springs. A wide-open resort town with a notoriously corrupt police department, through much of its history Hot Springs was a haven for gamblers, pimps, prostitutes, gangsters, bandits, thieves, and conmen (and I think Tumblety well qualifies in that last category), often operating in collusion with local police. Sometimes out-of-towners of this sort would be robbed or shaken down to get them to ante up protection payments to the police. Somehow, a well known and affluent Ripper suspect getting victimized by the Hot Springs underworld seems a real neat and ironic historical footnote.
      Last edited by Rick Mattix; 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM.

Comment

So question:

In Tumblety's book, he knew he was sick. Does Hot Springs actually have hot springs, which would be why he went there for possibly curative reasons, or did he go for the notorious part?

Mike
        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

I think you know the answer to that question, wolf.
          Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

The springs would be a major draw I would think. People were drawn there from across the nation by the spas. And the horse races. The town was originally called Thermopolis.

Comment

I made a thread on the Dr. T. Robbery. My post was for fun. The heavy lifting was done in a previous discussion by Forum members which I linked there too.

Hhere's the link (click here)

My mistake on that thread, date of robbery was April 17

Roy
              Sink the Bismark

Comment

Carrie Brown

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                My victemology or the report?

yours truly
                Your victemology if you please!
                There is no way JTR is not going to get caught from the people on this site!

Comment

Redirection

Look at my thread 'the mind of "Jack the Ripper"', it details my whole theory including my victemology and a comparison to the zodiac case. Feel free to post your comments on there, not on Mikes thread.

yours truly
                  Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                  X