The reputation of Sir William Withey Gull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJA View Post
    I've not suggested a government conspiracy.
    Certainly not involving Gull and/or Gladstone.
    Gull obviously knew what was going on.

I have never been an advocate of the Royal Conspiracy/PAV/Sickert nonsense.
    The Michael Caine telemovie really annoys me.From Hell almost as much.

I do believe Matthews and Abberline were conspiring to ensure Jack the Ripper/Sutton was not caught.
    Very much like the Cleveland Street scandal.
    Dr Henry Sutton of the London Hospital? The one who co-authored a paper on kidney disease with Gull in 1873?

He seems very unlikely as a Ripper suspect. If Sutton was the killer, why would Gull know anything about it and why would either Matthews or Abberline try to conceal the Ripper's identity?
    "The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Been through that several times on this forum.

You are smart enough to use the search button.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I've not suggested a government conspiracy.
        Certainly not involving Gull and/or Gladstone.
        Gull obviously knew what was going on.

I have never been an advocate of the Royal Conspiracy/PAV/Sickert nonsense.
        The Michael Caine telemovie really annoys me.From Hell almost as much.
        Isn’t this a new spin based or related on the long-standing rumour?

No reason for it to be dismissed automatically by association, but at least some people have moved forward from the 70s. I’m developing my own spin.

Comment

My research is actually based on RL Stevenson's 1885 novella.

It is not spin on anything.

Truth is that we have had all the evidence before us for a very long time.

Comment

I agree with the last sentence, Dave.

I too have a suspect theory I generally keep to myself. It can be made to relate to the Royal Conspiracy theory from the 70s. I think it very well may have contributed as a source for the theory. RLS? Now there's another possible source for the rumors that may have led to the theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post

RLS? Now there's another possible source for the rumors that may have led to the theory.
              Given that Dr J was obviously modeled on Dr Gull MD,and Mr H on Sutton MB,there is a rough chance of a Chinese whisper.
              Of course the Inspector was Smith,RLS's cousin, and the MP actually existed (died of chloral hydrate overdose,prescribed by Gull).
              So,going back to Sutton's early Vestry days when he lived next to Gull,who was the girl "trampled"?

Comment

Possibly the most inappropriate use of the word ‘obviously’ ever!
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fiver View Post

Dr Henry Sutton of the London Hospital?
                  Not the pc Henry Sutton who testified at Frances Coles' inquest.

Comment

So,going back to Sutton's early Vestry days when he lived next to Gull,who was the girl "trampled"?
                    The "girl trampled" by Mr. Hyde at the beginning of the book?

Obviously, Mary Jane Kelly.

In London in 85 the year RSL wrote the book.

Comment

If posters are interested in making intelligent,constructive comments,I'd advise they read the novella twice.

It is set,for the most part circa 1868. Three years after Sutton took on the duties of Vestry Medical Officer for Shoreditch,St Leonard.
                      It ends after June,1885.

Dr Jekyll and Gull's credentials are MD,DCL,LLD,FRS,etc.
                      Gull's worth in 1888 was L 344,000 against Jekyll's quarter of a million.

Jekyll's protege has the key to the front door and free access to the old dissecting room,yet usually comes and goes via the laboratory.
                      Might imply he lives next door.

Relative sizes of J & H are much like G & S.

Hyde seems to favor shabby genteel.

I'm getting the invalid server thingy,so signing off.

Ciao!

Dave.

Comment

In the small hours of one morning,[...] I was awakened by cries of horror from Louis. Thinking he had a nightmare, I awakened him. He said angrily: "Why did you wake me? I was dreaming a fine bogey tale." I had awakened him at the first transformation scene.[8]

She should have left him sleeping, they could have dreamt up the rights for the sequel. And all the documentarys.
                        Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Been working on the sequel for over 11 years.

Working title is Jack the Ripper.

Comment

Is the "girl trampled" the Mary Ann Kelly 29 that you found? Or is it someone else?

Who do you have in mind for the part of Henry Sutton?

Gull over the years has been portrayed by some actors of some repute.

Comment

Yep.

Had my first meeting with a screenwriter 11 years 3 months ago.
                              Still searching.
                              Gets done properly or not at all.
                              Heights will be a problem.Back then Depp was the right age.Not my call.
                              Recent development in Melbourne that has caught my interest.
                              Last edited by DJA; 10-20-2019, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Howard Brown

Proprietor & Adminstrator

Thats fine Robert.....Most of the sources ( other than a biography ) will be the same. What you supplied is sufficient...no need to go to any extra effort,old bean.

Do you see what I mean,Robert? I mentioned it on Casebook about how unusual it seems that a renal authority would be,to be, in charge of a neurasthenic AND an eventual victim of chloralism. I can't understand it.

Not once,but twice.

Something stinks here....and I can't figure it out.

NEURASTHENIA is best known today as Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. See next post.

Comment

Working...
                                X