This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
    "it could have been" has always been the last refuge of the Diary believer. Maybrick "could have been" suffering from multi-personality disorder, thus had different styles of handwriting.
    Oh I love this one.

"It could have been" has always been the last refuge of the Barrett believer. Anne Barrett "could have been" suffering from multi-personality disorder, or "could have been" ambidextrous, thus had the ability to disguise her handwriting over the 63 pages of the diary.

Mike Barrett "could have been" misled by Martin Earl into thinking that a tiny diary for 1891 could still prove suitable for the draft of the Maybrick diary sitting impatiently on his word prosser, all dressed up with nowhere to go.

Mike Barrett "could have been" sceptical about Martin Earl's descriptive powers, thinking he meant to say it was a diary for 1888-9, of roughly A4 size, with at least 20 blank sides of paper, with no printed dates on any of them.

Perpetual suspended disbelief by the power of "it could have been". And the greatest part is that no one needs to have any actual evidence for any of this.

I think the last thing the Barrett believers need is anyone giving them a hard time with any more actual evidence that conflicts with their faith in the great Goldie Street Hoax Conspiracy, brought to them by the one and only Michael 'Thomas Quick' Barrett, whose relationship with reality was a troubled one indeed.

Funny RJ should mention smelling salts. I was thinking of donating mine - unused since my last hangover some years ago - given the histrionics witnessed over the last day or two here on this thread by posters old and new, who are frustrated to find themselves further away today, from pinning the diary on the Barrett donkey, than Melvin Harris and co were back in January 1995.

They'll be walking backwards for Christmas at this rate.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Last edited by caz; 08-05-2020, 03:19 PM.
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Gary
      there is no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that she was ever referred to as an aunt in the family. There is on the other hand alot of evidence that she was mistakenly referred to as in aunt in the trial, which was repeated by the hoaxer. Im not assuming anything, and there is no theory. these are cold hard facts.
      now if you have evidence that she was ever referred to as an aunt then provide. if not its the usual it could have been this it could have been that-pure speculation, diary defending and flying pigs. and in my experience when Lord Orsam makes a mistake, which is rare, he simply acknowledges it and moves on. I think your hate of Lord Orsam is clouding your judgement Gary.
      Last edited by Abby Normal; 08-05-2020, 03:22 PM.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
        Gary
        there is no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that she was ever referred to as an aunt in the family. There is on the other hand alot of evidence that she was mistakenly referred to as in aunt in the trial, which was repeated by the hoaxer. Im not assuming anything, and there is no theory. these are cold hard facts.
        now if you have evidence that she was ever referred to as an aunt then provide. if not its the usual it could have been this it could have been that-pure speculation, diary defending and flying pigs. and in my experience when Lord Orsam makes a mistake, which is rare, he simply acknowledges it and moves on. I think your hate of Lord Orsam is clouding your judgement Gary.
        Was this not covered off by Yabs with the clear reference to "The Aunts"?
        Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
        JayHartley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

I think I already answered this one? He 'suppressed' it by not mentioning it.

It was clearly quite strategic on his part.
          Interesting, I recall a chap once what said
          Mostly, when you think something is irrelevant, you don't ever think to mention it (why would you?). Mostly, when you think something is relevant and counterproductive, you don't ever think to mention it. How are we to determine which of these two possibilities is the correct one here? If we can't, we shouldn't cite the schtumness as evidence of anything

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
            Even if I was to accept the 'general usage' argument (I don't), Florence Chandler Maybrick was an American. Wouldn't American usage be more relevant than the OED? But even if this was standard practice in the American South, it still wouldn't tell me what I want to know.
            This is too funny.

Mike Barrett told RJ what he wanted to know, so I don't know what more he could possibly want to know. I thought that was more than enough for him.

And still RJ comes and goes - and will return for more punishment. It's what he does.

Love,

Caz
            X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

This is too funny.

Mike Barrett told RJ what he wanted to know, so I don't know what more he could possibly want to know. I thought that was more than enough for him.

And still RJ comes and goes - and will return for more punishment. It's what he does.

Love,

Caz
              X
              Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
              JayHartley.com

Comment

• It is blindingly obvious from the evidence presented that Melvin Harris - Hoaxbuster Supreme - was the force behind getting Alan Gray to persuade Mike Barrett to swear that affidavit in January 1995, so he could make good his reported prediction in the December that the three people responsible for the Maybrick diary 'forgery' would soon be identified, and bag all the brownie points.

I rather doubt Melvin thought it was 'irrelevant' when Mike came up with the goods [why would he?], and therefore 'didn't think to mention it'.

However, if he found it to be relevant but counterproductive to his aims to bust this hoax wide open himself, that would go a loooong way to explain why he decided not to mention it, or get the newspapers involved, as Mike was led to believe would happen. It might also explain why Melvin later claimed he was misquoted, when giving that prediction to the newspaper in December 1994. He must have known from that dog's breakfast of a sworn statement that he didn't have a penman for a start. He didn't have the Barretts or poor dead Devereux down for that starring role, so without a 'forger' he was wiser to distance himself from it and hope that others - his trusted band of foot soldiers for instance - would do the job of actually naming and shaming, so he wouldn't risk soiling his own hands.

If only Mike had named someone he had never met and never heard of as the actual forger - someone whose surname began with K, who could have been schooled in the 1930s - Melvin might have been home and dry.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Last edited by caz; 08-05-2020, 04:23 PM.

Comment

It is blindingly obvious from the evidence presented that Melvin Harris - Hoaxbuster Supreme - was the force behind getting Alan Gray to persuade Mike Barrett to swear that affidavit in January 1995, so he could make good his reported prediction in the December that the three people responsible for the Maybrick diary 'forgery' would soon be identified, and bag all the brownie points.

I rather doubt Melvin thought it was 'irrelevant' when Mike came up with the goods [why would he?], and therefore 'didn't think to mention it'.

However, if he found it to be relevant but counterproductive to his aims to bust this hoax wide open himself, that would go a loooong way to explain why he decided not to mention it, or get the newspapers involved, as Mike was led to believe would happen. It might also explain why Melvin later claimed he was misquoted, when giving that prediction to the newspaper in December 1994. He must have known from that dog's breakfast of a sworn statement that he didn't have a penman for a start. He didn't have the Barretts or poor dead Devereux down for that starring role, so without a 'forger' he was wiser to distance himself from it and hope that others - his trusted band of foot soldiers for instance - would do the job of actually naming and shaming, so he wouldn't risk soiling his own hands.

If only Mike had named someone he had never met and never heard of as the actual forger - someone whose surname began with K, who could have been schooled in the 1930s - Melvin might have been home and dry.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  What I cant understand with regards to the making of the affidavit and putting his name to it, was the fact that Barrett and others had already been interviewed by the police and given their accounts. By making this alleged confession which clearly I assume was in direct conflict with what he told the police it would have left Barrett open to be re interviewed for an offence of attempting to obtain property by deception on his own admissions which he mentions in the second affidavit/

But it seems someone probably made him aware of that, and that is why we see the second affidavit where he claims duress to get him out of the proverbial should the police come knocking on his door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

What I cant understand with regards to the making of the affidavit and putting his name to it, was the fact that Barrett and others had already been interviewed by the police and given their accounts. By making this alleged confession which clearly I assume was in direct conflict with what he told the police it would have left Barrett open to be re interviewed for an offence of attempting to obtain property by deception on his own admissions which he mentions in the second affidavit/

But it seems someone probably made him aware of that, and that is why we see the second affidavit where he claims duress to get him out of the proverbial should the police come knocking on his door.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                    Hi Trev,

Yeah, his solicitor pulled the original "confession" when Mike was hospitalised. That's what a good solicitor does, keeps you out of trouble with John Law.

Mike reiterated his confession in Jan '95, sworn as an affidavit in front of the same solicitor. Makes sense that the solicitor sat on it. It's his job. Unless solicitors are more interested in honesty, openness and justice?
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• This entire thread has been as overplayed as it's possible to get.

Let me know if I've got my facts wrong here:
                      • We have no idea what Florrie told James she was going to London for - she may well have mentioned she was going to see her aunt, or someone else's aunt, or her own godmother (we'll never know)
                      • Before Florrie went to London, Maybrick wrote in his scrapbook that she was welcome to it and that he actively wanted her to see her aunt (this suggests that she had said she was going to see her aunt, or John Baillie Knight's aunt, or her godmother - whichever it was, Maybrick wrote 'aunt' before Florrie went to London)
                      • After the trip to London, Dr Hopper (not Fuller) visited the Maybricks and went on the record as saying that they had both said that she had been to see her godmother (Florrie may have said it and James concurred, James may have said it because by then Florrie had said this was the case, or they both said it because by then that was Florrie's official line)
                      • Dr Hopper's testimony was not called at the trial
                      • Someone told Mr Addison that Florrie had gone to London supposedly to see her aunt
                      • In his opening remarks, Mr Addison said Florrie had been to see her aunt
                      • The papers reported she'd been to see her aunt
                      • The books reported that she'd been to see her aunt
                      • Lord Orsam decided this was unequivocal evidence of a mistake by a forger because Maybrick therefore could not possibly have made the mistake of writing 'aunt' before Florrie's trip to London
                      If I've got this right, then we are in the Land of Clutching Desperately at Straws here to argue that what has been uncovered cannot be interpreted any other way than that the scrapbook was written by a hoaxer whose inadequate research caused him or her to have Maybrick say that Florrie was going to see her aunt rather than her godmother.

Pillars of sand, it is indeed, everyone ... but do carry on ...

Ike

PS There is an acid test here which should - if the reader is honest with themselves - resolve this issue. If there is no possibility whatsoever that James Maybrick would (not simply could, note) have written 'aunt' in the scrapbook before Florrie's mooted trip to London, would you stake your every possession, every penny you own, and the life of every member of your family on this being so? If Lord Orsam has proved his point, then we should all be happy and willing to do exactly that, safe in the knowledge that we could not possibly be wrong. For the record, I obviously would not place that stake. If you would, please just state your name. If, however, you are willing to state your address also, the nice people in white coats will be able to get to you super quickly.
                      Iconoclast
                      Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Honestly, there's no rush ...
                        Iconoclast

Comment

• The Land of Clutching Desperately at Straws?

Does Mrs Hammersmith live there?

(Sorry Ike)
                          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

I simply examine the language, detail and nuances of anything that comes my way - verbal or oral -

through my previous verdict and firm belief that Michael Barrett didn't and couldn't have forged the Diary

and respond as I see fit.

Agree.

The Baron

Comment

It is blindingly obvious from the evidence presented that Melvin Harris - Hoaxbuster Supreme - was the force behind getting Alan Gray to persuade Mike Barrett to swear that affidavit in January 1995, so he could make good his reported prediction in the December that the three people responsible for the Maybrick diary 'forgery' would soon be identified, and bag all the brownie points.

This post demonstrates quite clearly that you've misunderstood the principle which Iconoclast referred to, and indeed why such a principle exists: you're using a lack of information (Harris not mentioning something) as evidence of something (suppression because conspiracy theory etc.) while speculating wildly about his motivation, thoughts and intentions.
                              So MH is the force behind getting Alan Gray to persuade MB to make an affidavit. That much is "blindingly obvious" but when the orchestrated affidavit appears, MH finds it useless because...why exactly? He just didn't like the idea of the Barretts or Devereaux as the forgers, apparently, and had hoped for someone else, who MB should have named, despite having never met or heard of that person.
                              Just to get it straight: the argument here is that Harris used his influence with Gray (what influence?) to make MB swear an affidavit drafted and typed by Gray fingering the culprit(s), but he forgot to specify who it should finger. Is that your theory, Caz?

Last edited by Kattrup; 08-05-2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                                This post demonstrates quite clearly that you've misunderstood the principle which Iconoclast referred to, and indeed why such a principle exists: you're using a lack of information (Harris not mentioning something) as evidence of something (suppression because conspiracy theory etc.) while speculating wildly about his motivation, thoughts and intentions.
                                So MH is the force behind getting Alan Gray to persuade MB to make an affidavit. That much is "blindingly obvious" but when the orchestrated affidavit appears, MH finds it useless because...why exactly? He just didn't like the idea of the Barretts or Devereaux as the forgers, apparently, and had hoped for someone else, who MB should have named, despite having never met or heard of that person.
                                Just to get it straight: the argument here is that Harris used his influence with Gray (what influence?) to make MB swear an affidavit drafted and typed by Gray fingering the culprit(s), but he forgot to specify who it should finger. Is that your theory, Caz?
                                Hey, man Katnip - come on!

So Caz uses the word 'suppression'. It's just a word. It conveys (even without asking her) her apparent frustrated belief that Harris attempted to influence the extremely vulnerable Barrett for his own ends. And then - when he realised the affy David was too awful to do anything with - he cunningly left it on the shelf in case anyone came along and realised what a bongbat old Bongo truly was. That's why I said it was 'strategic' of him.

It wasn't that he "didn't like the idea of the Barretts or Devereaux as the forgers" in the slightest. I doubt Harris would have cared. As long as he had someone to accuse, the pathetic sales of his own recent Ripper publication might not be too adversely affected (that's 'Integrity' for you, guys). Of course, when he read the affy David he must have utterly shat himself at the realisation that Bongo Barrett could not substantiate a single word that he was willing to swear to.

I suspect the influence that Harris used over Gray was the very one Bongo promised Gray and so consistently failed to deliver (cue sound of till opening). Gray just wanted to be paid, by someone, anyone. He didn't care who.

Just to get it straight, the affy David Gray (or Harris) had typed-up for Bongo fingered Bongo so who got forgotten?

Ike
                                Iconoclast

Comment

Working...
                                X