Maybrick--a Problem in Logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post

If it the same episode I watched, if any hoaxer was watching it for inspiration we would have Florence being English and James working as a stock broker. Talk about inaccuracies - that is well worth a watch alone for how to twist facts for dramatic purposes.
    Hi Erobitha,

A researcher far more equipped for that appellation than I has tracked down the episode on YouTube (which is ridiculous because I hunted for about a minute on YouTube - who needs more than a minute to find something on YouTube, for goodness sake????????????????).

Anyway, courtesy of One More In The Know Than I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3U...ature=youtu.be

The Stone Angels episode on Doctor Who was so terrifying that a young Izzy Iconoclast never watched the programme again. She turned 21 on Monday (two days ago) and still refuses to watch the programme. I feel as nervous about watching this version of Florrie's tale for some reason. It's just so creepy!

Ike
    Iconoclast
    Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

Hi Erobitha,

A researcher far more equipped for that appellation than I has tracked down the episode on YouTube (which is ridiculous because I hunted for about a minute on YouTube - who needs more than a minute to find something on YouTube, for goodness sake????????????????).

Anyway, courtesy of One More In The Know Than I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3U...ature=youtu.be

The Stone Angels episode on Doctor Who was so terrifying that a young Izzy Iconoclast never watched the programme again. She turned 21 on Monday (two days ago) and still refuses to watch the programme. I feel as nervous about watching this version of Florrie's tale for some reason. It's just so creepy!

Ike
      Thanks for the link Ike - brilliant find.

Comment

• Some additional media that would be interesting to see or hear..

BBC Radio 4
        Broadcast 13th February 1993 repeated 17th February.
        Age to Age
        (Synopsis)
        The trial of Florence Maybrick in 1889 was a sensational affair. What took place in the courtroom of St George's Hall in Liverpool helped to secure rights for the accused that we take for granted today. In this Age to Age special, starting a new series, Christopher Cook and David Foster recall the case of Florence Maybrick , which was responsible for the setting up of the Court of Criminal Appeal.

BBC Radio 4
        Broadcast 10th June 1992
        Victorian Hit Man
        (Synopsis)
        One hundred years ago composer
        Michael Maybrick , writing as Stephen Adams , hit the royalty jackpot - he published The Holy City. To this day it is the most enduring of Victorian religious parlour songs. Roger Wilkes tells the story of Maybrick, the man and his music. Producer Diana Stenson

BBC2 television
        Broadcast 1st August 1965
        Jury Room: The Friendless Lady
        (Synopsis)
        by Harry Green.
        The husband dead by arsenical poisoning.... a lover... the wife on trial for murder or adultery?

BBC Radio4
        Broadcast 18th November 1969
        Trial for Murder on Assize
        (Synopsis)
        Edgar Lustgarten reconstructs six famous murder trials from the Assize Courts of provincial England
        2: The Trial of Mrs Maybrick Liverpool 1889

There are other broadcasts but they are from much earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

Hi Erobitha,

Ike
          Afternoon Ike, Erobitha,

I just watched this - and have a feeling I may have seen it back when I would have been sixteen. The story would have meant next to nothing to me in 1970.

Towards the end, when Sir James has just shuffled off, Maybrick's doctor tells Florie [played by the very lovely Nicola Pagett] that Mrs Pilbeam [?] used the phrase: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", but she got it wrong and the original words were by Congreve, not Shakespeare. The doctor adds that James could have told her that, as he had an eye "for an old quotation".

I wonder if Bongo picked up on this and chose 'O costly...' accordingly. Pity he never mentioned it really.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hell_..._woman_scorned

Love,

Caz
          X
          Last edited by caz; 06-03-2020, 01:31 PM.
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

I wonder if Bongo picked up on this and chose 'O costly...' accordingly. Pity he never mentioned it really.
            Hi Caz,

If he did, then I bet he also picked-up on the picture on the wall at 44.00 which is rather eerily reminiscent of a certain Mary Jane Kelly death scene. Sort of.

Ike
            Iconoclast
            Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Blood splatter onto woodgrain.
              maybe the woodgrain even helped create the illusion of the M

EDIT:
              (just realised I’ve posted in the wrong thread after posting, this post was intended for RJ’s thread regarding the letters)
              Last edited by Yabs; 06-04-2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• From Keith Skinner's notes

Originally posted by caz View Post
                MB says he didn't take diary seriously at first. Never heard of 'Poisoned Life of Mrs Maybrick' before SH mentioned it to him. Says TD was dead before MB connected James Maybrick to diary. Says he concentrated on ripper stuff first, not thinking of Liverpool angle until later.
                Before SH got involved, he had checked ripper books such as Rumbelow, Paul Harrison, A-Z, Stephen Knight. But not John Morrison (when asked specifically by SH).
                Note to self: I take this to mean John Morrison’s obscure thirty-nine page pamphlet, Jimmy Kelly's Year of Ripper Murders 1888: Marie Slain by Killer”

Odd. Why was Harrison concerned about this particular pamphlet. Should I be concerned? Intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                X