The Diary—Old Hoax or New?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham View Post

I do detect that among some posters, who swear black and blue that the above terms could not have been in use during the late 19th century, appear to know very little about the Diary itself.
    I know enough. Besides, if there are anachonistic phrases in the text (and there are; three or four of them in the same short document) the back-story is irrelevant.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      I know enough. Besides, if there are anachonistic phrases in the text (and there are; three or four of them in the same short document) the back-story is irrelevant.
      Sam, I would never ever cast aspersions upon your knowledge of Jack the Ripper in general, and the Maybrick Case in particular. I still don't think that the phrases we refer to are absolutely proven to be anachronistic, but even so they are not the be-all and end-all of the Diary story. There is plenty else to consider.

Graham

We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Graham, even if they were only "anachronistic-ish", the fact that more than one of them occurs in the same document vastly increases the cumulative probability against the Diary's being an early hoax. As far as I'm concerned, "one off instance" and "spreads mayhem" are enough on their own to place the Diary's authorship in the latter half of the 20th Century.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Sam, please read my posts, if you will! I have said more than once that I don't believe the Diary was written by Maybrick, and I don't believe that he was the Ripper. Yes, I do see where you're coming from regarding those pesky anachronistic phrases and expressions, but I am not 100% convinced that they could not have been in parlance in the late 19th century. If everyone with even the slightest interest in the case agreed that the phrases cannot be authentic, then is that it? Does that imply that we are not genuinely interested in who wrote the Diary if it wasn't Jim? I'm getting that impression from time to time.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
            Sam, please read my posts, if you will! I have said more than once that I don't believe the Diary was written by Maybrick, and I don't believe that he was the Ripper.
            I know that, Graham.
            Yes, I do see where you're coming from regarding those pesky anachronistic phrases and expressions, but I am not 100% convinced that they could not have been in parlance in the late 19th century.
            That's fine, but I'm personally certain that "one off instance" and "spreads mayhem" are 20th Century expressions, which simply couldn't have been used by anyone in the late 19th. I also believe that there are one or two other phrases in the Diary that indicate that it's a late hoax.
            If everyone with even the slightest interest in the case agreed that the phrases cannot be authentic, then is that it? Does that imply that we are not genuinely interested in who wrote the Diary if it wasn't Jim?
            Not at all - I'd love to know who wrote it. It's just that I think it would be a complete waste of time to look for potential authors from the late 19th or early 20th Centuries.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Sam, I believe we must agree to differ! But believe me, I do look forward to your posts on this and other subjects. Your arguments are invariably cogent and thoughtful.

Graham

Comment

I know that, Graham.
                That's fine, but I'm personally certain that "one off instance" and "spreads mayhem" are 20th Century expressions, which simply couldn't have been used by anyone in the late 19th. I also believe that there are one or two other phrases in the Diary that indicate that it's a late hoax.
                Not at all - I'd love to know who wrote it. It's just that I think it would be a complete waste of time to look for potential authors from the late 19th or early 20th Centuries.
                What time frame would you be looking at?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulB View Post

Hi Paul,

If we are to use as reliable 'fact' the mere understanding and personal certainties of those who believe they know the derivation of the English language better than any (regardless of whether the proper evidence for it still exists) then we must exclude any authorship prior to the "latter half of the 20th century". Of course, we can immediately discard 36/50ths of that time as creating it before 1987 was not possible (I may as well be as categorical on this point as they would be on theirs though - like them - I don't entirely have unequivocation on my side).

This means the master-forger/researchers got to work no earlier than the point in 1987 when Fido's work was published and no later than the April (?) day in 1992 when Bongo took the hoax to London. So just five years. During that time there must have existed the 'usual suspects' to whom the police could have turned to break the case, but strangely Scotland Yard did not break the case so we can only conclude that the existing known master-forgers/researchers did not grass up the Maybrick hoaxers or else were them but resisted Scotland Yard's experienced interrogations. We should conclude from this that the Maybrick forgers were working on their first masterpiece.

Worryingly, that leaves us with a first-time forgery focused on about the least likely candidate possible. No real doubt that the end result would be lucky to last 27 days before being revealed for what it was, the 'shoddy' hoax we were all assured it was by impartial experts such as Melvin Harris (whose book naming Stephenson as Jack was to be published in 1994 and which clearly had no influence on his integrity and objectives). But it wasn't nailed within the month which causes us all a huge headache for now we have a
                  first-time forgery focused on about the least likely candidate possible surviving the most vitriolic scrutiny in forging history. This is one-hit wonder time, isn't it? This is Terry Jacks and his sickly sweet 'Seasons in the Sun'. Or Leicester City catching everyone cold in 2016. It's a miracle, and it would appear that Bongo Barrett was the inspiration behind it. It's so solid - how on earth could anyone contradict it?

PS 'Seasons in the Sun' was the poor man's English re-write of the outstanding Jacques Brel's 'Le Moribund'. Where millions hear only the sugary crap dished-up by Jacks, I hear the genius described by Jacques. Story of my life, perhaps (though don't get too excited, I ain't no dying man just yet!).
                  Iconoclast
                  Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

On the basis of those phrases, from the 1950s onwards. Taking into consideration other aspects of the Diary (e.g. mention of empty tin matchboxes), no earlier than the late 1980s.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Didn’t Maybrick take out a £2000 life insurance on himself on Oct 3rd, 1888?

It seems unlikely, that during the height of the murders, Maybrick was writing about murder and revenge with Florence as the focus, when in reality, he was making her the beneficiary to his life and failing to mention it in the diary.

Comment

Yes, it was considered that the "diary" was created to help in Florence's trial, but the conclusion was that James being Jack the Ripper would have provided Florence with a motive for murdering him and that no matter how sympathetic people might be towards Florence for taking such an action, it would still have been murder and perhaps have resulted in her execution. I think Florence's lawyers wanted a "not guilty" verdict, not to provide mitigation for a "guilty" one.

Of course, that doesn't mean the "diary" could not have been produced for the purpose you suggest, but never used.

One of the problems that has always dogged "diary" is that people don't ask "when" the "diary" was created, but let the argument polarise into whether the "diary" is genuine or a modern fake, and it's a circular argu,emt that goes nowhere.

Hi Paul,

I was wondering what you thought about David’s suggested 11 day timeline for the creation of the diary? It’s in his Pillar Of Sand article in Section E - Provenance.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          [/B]

Hi Paul,

I was wondering what you thought about David’s suggested 11 day timeline for the creation of the diary? It’s in his Pillar Of Sand article in Section E - Provenance.
                          I'll have to read it, Herlock.

Comment

On the basis of those phrases, from the 1950s onwards. Taking into consideration other aspects of the Diary (e.g. mention of empty tin matchboxes), no earlier than the late 1980s.
                            Ta. So, "tin match box, empty" provides you with the earliest date the "diary" could have been written. What reasons do people give in opposition to that?

Comment

Ta. So, "tin match box, empty" provides you with the earliest date the "diary" could have been written. What reasons do people give in opposition to that?
                              There can only be one - that someone 'in the know' back in the LVP hoaxed the scrapbook with insider knowledge of Eddowes' list of possessions. (Or they were Jack, of course.)
                              Iconoclast
                              Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• One of the problems that has always dogged "diary" is that people don't ask "when" the "diary" was created, but let the argument polarise into whether the "diary" is genuine or a modern fake, and it's a circular argu,emt that goes nowhere
                                Pardon me, but I am a poster who certainly does ask questions, and have done on these boards, as to when the Diary was made - maybe you don't read my posts as I'm not important enough? I feel rather hurt about this, to be honest....and I suppose you'll ignore this, too.

Graham

Comment

Working...
                                X