Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't La Bruckman talked about? Is what is supposed true about him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mort Belfry
    replied
    You mean I've got to find all the relevant details? I thought you guys all knew. Awwwww man. Let's hope I remembered them correctly when I wrote the OP.

All I know about La Bruckman is what I've read in these articles:

I suppose its the scant information on him, not a casebook cover up , that is behind the lack of discussion.

Here's the quote from the first article that mentions La Bruckman talking about being caught with Jack the Ripper in England.

"The night of the East River Hotel murder" he said, "I passed in this lodging house . . . My name is Arbie La Bruckman, but I am commonly called John Francis. I was born in Morocco twenty nine years ago. I arrived here on the steamer April 10 from London . . ." The reporter asked, "Why were you arrested in London?" La Bruckman replied, "About 11 o'clock one night a little after Christmas, 1889, 1 was walking along the street I carried a small satchel. I was bound for Hull, England, where I was to take another ship. Before I reached the depot, I was arrested and taken to the London Headquarters. I was locked up for a month, placed on trial and duly acquitted. After my discharge the Government gave me £100 and a suit of clothes for the inconvenience I had suffered." (13)
    The Daily Continent, following up this story, stated that; "For the past fourteen years [La Bruckman] has been employed by Meyer Goldsmith as a cattleman on the steamers of the National Line, plying between this port and London. La Bruckman felt so bad about his arrest that he wept when locked up in a cell to await instructions from the New York police. Detective Sergeant McCloskey went over to Jersey City in the afternoon glanced at the prisoner, and said that he was not wanted ... Detective McCloskey said that the fellow was the man familiarly known as Frenchy No.2, but he was not the murderer ... [La Bruckman] freely acknowledged that he was arrested in London eighteen months ago on suspicion of being the Whitechapel murderer. He claims that his trial for killing one of Jack The Ripper’s victims lasted two weeks, and when he was acquitted the Government gave him $500 and a new suit of clothes ... He has signed to sail on the steamer Buffalo next Saturday" (14)

Leave a comment:

• Christine
    replied
    Well, the first question is where was in the autumn of 1888? You wouldn't think this would be hard to determine. Is it known?

Leave a comment:

• babybird67
    replied
    hi Barry

The little i have gleaned about him being sadistic with animals etc i came across in Paul Roland's The Crimes of the Ripper (2007). There wasn't much though...as i say the trail seemed to have gone cold at the time. Presumably he changed his name and moved away or something?

Leave a comment:

• halomanuk
    replied
    Any 'overlooked' suspect requires another look at.

Do you know where the info about him 'admitting he was arrested because of the Whitechapel crimes which tied him across the Atlantic ' is (i.e where you found that ?) and do you know the year that occured Mort ?

Leave a comment:

• DVV
    replied
    Originally posted by Mort Belfry View Post

Will anyone actually reply to this thread?

My guess is no.
    Hi Mort,

...so you think there's a "Casebook cover-up" ?
    Don't, please.
    Until last summer, there was no discussion about Grainger as well, though he is (at least at first glance) a serious and plausible suspect.

Whatever, this thread seems promising.
    Could you please summarize the case against La Bruckman, as you understand it, and quote the relevant sources ?

Amitiés,
    David

Leave a comment:

• babybird67
    replied
    hi Mort

i've just come across La Bruckman myself, and you raise some good questions (I think so anyway )

Apparently he was very sadistic, and had that knowledge re anatomy of animals that some suggest may have been all that was required to be the Ripper.

From my understanding, he just "disappeared" whilst the possibility of him being the Ripper was being investigated...the trail ran cold i think...that's my guess anyway, from the little i have read.

If anyone knows anything else i'd be fascinated to hear.

cheers Mort

Leave a comment:

• Why isn't La Bruckman talked about? Is what is supposed true about him?

Reading about him it seems he is the most likely killer of Carrie Brown and by his own admission he was arrested because of the Whitechapel crimes which tie him across the Atlantic. His sadism to cattle suggests a pathology that could be transferred to humans and there is scant information about where he ended up suggesting more unknown crimes could be out there.

In terms of strong connections to the crimes, the dissertations about him almost makes him seem as strong a suspect as Kosminski and Hutchinson. Yet there is no discussion on him. Now I'm no fancy big-city lawyer but this seems like a huge admission.

Is it that there is no more to say about him? Is it that what is written about him has no corroboration? Or is it that it is all an obvious fabrication? Would someone have to be totally stupid to suspect him? Did he even exist? Or is it that he is such an unknown quantity that nobody dares talk about him for fear of becoming totally confused about who the important suspects are? Will anyone actually reply to this thread?

My guess is no.
    Last edited by Mort Belfry; 05-11-2009, 10:10 AM.
Working...
X