Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVV
    replied
    Hello my dear, personally I'm still undecided. I like the way you interpret the GSG, though.
    Copenhague ? Aimerais bien voir ça.

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    Originally posted by DVV View Post
    I've always entertained the idea, for instance, that the Ripper had planned to kill twice that night.
    Hi David, I'm sure Tom is gonna love ya for that thought about the Ripper “possibly having planned to kill two that night“, but I personally disagree. I feel like Eddowes plus the GSG might have been a “revenge“ for the IWEC people having interrupted him.

With kind regards from Copenhagen, where “something is rotten in the kingdom of Danemark“.
    Maria Birbili

Leave a comment:

• DVV
    replied
    Excellent, Tom.
    There are several points worth discussing, but not in a Kidney-thread.
    I've always entertained the idea, for instance, that the Ripper had planned to kill twice that night.

Leave a comment:

• mariab
    replied
    The fourth person to have read it.

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Hi Miakaal, thank you so very much for that. You might just be the third person to ever read it (myself and my editor being the first two), or at least it often seems that way when reading the Stride threads.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• miakaal4
    replied
    Read the Diss

Really enjoyed it. It still makes me grin when someone unravels a myth.
    Your explanation of the Padlock myth was like witnessing a game of Chinese Whispers in reverse. Excellent, facinating and enlightning. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Originally posted by auspirograph
    Yes but, as you may recall, Swanson was busy at the time in his office collating reports. It was Inspector Thomas Roots of Scotland Yard CID who went with H Division surgeon Bagster Phillips to review the Gateshead murder. This is what alerted Roslyn D'Onston, an avid newspaper reader, to his old friend's part in the Ripper investigation at the close of coroner Baxter's Chapman inquest.
    Very interesting. I didn't know that.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by auspirograph View Post
    Yes but, as you may recall, Swanson was busy at the time in his office collating reports. It was Inspector Thomas Roots of Scotland Yard CID who went with H Division surgeon Bagster Phillips to review the Gateshead murder.
    Yes, indeed, it was Inspr. Roots. Thanks for clearing up that error.

Leave a comment:

• auspirograph
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    A lot of murders were at first thought to be linked with the Whitechapel murders, with little factual information that there was any real link.
    Indeed Chris, and who's to say the Stride murder was not one of them.

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
    The Gateshead murder was first thought to be linked to the Whitechapel murders; to the extent that Swanson and Baxter Phillips were sent to help in the investigation.
    Yes but, as you may recall, Swanson was busy at the time in his office collating reports. It was Inspector Thomas Roots of Scotland Yard CID who went with H Division surgeon Bagster Phillips to review the Gateshead murder. This is what alerted Roslyn D'Onston, an avid newspaper reader, to his old friend's part in the Ripper investigation at the close of coroner Baxter's Chapman inquest.

Patricia Cornwell alternatively believed the Gateshead was rather a Ripper crime committed by Sickert, so I think it illustrates the pitfalls of applying modern forensics to the Whitechapel murders.

However, I tend to agree with Tom's position as Kidney was interrogated and released at the time. If he had a hand in Stride's murder, I'm sure the police would have been anxious to secure some sort of conviction, whether it was domestic, Ripper related or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Hunter
    replied
    Hi Chris,

I think you may have missed my point. I'm not implying that Elizabeth Stride's murder was a domestic... just the opposite.

The example of the Gateshead murder was used because some, in the past, have suggested that Kidney was missed because it was just assumed that the 'Whitechapel Murderer' did it and no in depth investigations of Stride's acquaintances were made. The murder I've referenced here just proves that the police made the proper investigation, despite any preconceived notions, and caught the murderer.

I should have said, if Kidney killed Stride he was fortunate to get away with it because most domestics are solved.

I hope that clears it up because I was misunderstood (probably my fault).
    Last edited by Hunter; 09-22-2011, 05:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    A 'domestic' has always been the most prominent type of murder, especially when the victim is a woman. The police knew that and had a fairly successful record in bringing the guilty party to justice when that was the case. .
    Yes but so what... domestic murders are the most common murders. We all know that but that no means implies that the Stride murder was a domestic crime. You have to dig further.

The Gateshead murder was first thought to be linked to the Whitechapel murders; to the extent that Swanson and Baxter Phillips were sent to help in the investigation. If Kidney killed Stride, he was most fortunate in getting away with it.
    A lot of murders were at first thought to be linked with the Whitechapel murders, with little factual information that there was any real link.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Hunter
    replied
    A 'domestic' has always been the most prominent type of murder, especially when the victim is a woman. The police knew that and had a fairly successful record in bringing the guilty party to justice when that was the case.

The Gateshead murder was first thought to be linked to the Whitechapel murders; to the extent that Swanson and Baxter Phillips were sent to help in the investigation. Even with that, the authorities made the proper investigation and the real culprit - a boyfriend - was apprehended and confessed to the deed; which is what usually happens if the murderer was known by the victim.

If Kidney killed Stride, he was most fortunate in getting away with it.

Leave a comment:

• Tom_Wescott
    replied
    Hi Chris. All the arguments to date for Kidney having killed her detailed in my essay and are exposed as being anywhere from blatantly wrong to lacking. I tried to stay out of the way of the evidence and let it speak for itself, except in the moments (as noted by Lechmere) where I state I'm speculating.

There will never be a day when 100% of Ripperologists accept Stride as a Ripper victim, but there may be a day when all of us can agree that Kidney was not her slayer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    I'm rather surprised no one has shown up here to tell me that Michael Kidney did, in fact, kill Liz Stride. I noticed Phil H state on another thread that he thinks that's the likely scenario. Would love to get the feedback of someone such as Phil to my article. I think I'll send him a PM.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    Hi Tom

I have long thought that Michael Kidney makes for an easy fall guy for any theorist who wishes to exclude Liz Stride as a Ripper victim. Those who say Kidney killed her don't seem to have any strong reasons for contending that he was the murderer other than their need to say the Ripper did not murder her. At least, I have yet to hear any persuasive argument that Kidney was the guy who murdered Stride.

Best regards

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Lechmere
    replied
    And who knows whether Kidney was living in Dorset Street or Devonshire Street?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X